Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:09 am 

Bryan, I had a problem masking my car with plastic. The paint would dry on it between coats, and it would flake off as the plastic flapped in the breeze (outside or from the gun). It wasn't a huge issue but its something to be on the lookout for.

Post subject: Monday
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:51 am 

True to my word I shot my primer today. Some drips and runs which will sand right out, but no fuss or problems. My neighbors even walked by and commented on what a great project it was (!)

MUCH less overspray than I expected.

1970 240Z - enhanced F54 L28 w/P90, Weber DCOEs, 4:11 R200, Nissan T5 5-speed

Last edited by Datsun Z Garage on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: August progress
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:55 pm 

Even after 10 months of progress my Z won't be making it to the ZCON in NH this year. When I started the project in Oct 2012 I hoped to have it wrapped up by now. But three week-long trips to Wisconsin for work really erased any lead I had. Still...I'm very close.

Here's my 'external' paint booth. Not as pristine as a custom-made garage booth...but any dirt or bugs in the finish get polished out when you wet sand it afterwards.

It laid down pretty well and covered fine with 2 coats. This is "Restoration Shop' single stage acrylic urethane with no clear coat so its easy to rub out any minor orange peel...and yes there was some.

The quarter windows are now back in and I used Mcmaster-Carr "bulb seal" weatherstipping around the doors. Identical to stock but don't require any glue...nice. Part# 1120A333.

Taillights going back in and new hardware and weatherstripping on the hatch.

Hood hinges were beadblasted, sprayed with epoxy primer and then color coated. Thanks Frank.

[/url]

Last edited by Datsun Z Garage on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:25 pm 

My favorite 240Z in the world emerges from a cocoon to become.....something else. Feels strange to watch this happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:33 pm 

Frank T wrote:
My favorite 240Z in the world emerges from a cocoon to become.....something else. Feels strange to watch this happen.

Get used to this trend. :)

Wait till my z emerges from its chrysalis. Good to see I'm not the only one spending ZCONN the only way I know how; under a non-functional Z.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:59 am 

Yea, Brian's Z at one time was my screen saver and influence, I think way before I joined the club. Can't wait to see it again after all this work. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:17 pm 

Great job! Wish I could do all of that. I'd kill just to have my own garage. Ill also be headed up to ZCON in a non Z. Mine is also just not ready. I feel your pain Bryan. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:39 am 

To be honest I never expected a slate grey. Curious to see what it looks like buffed out and with the rest of the bits reattached. Did you make a brace & paint the urethane valence as well? The one thing I hate about them is that because of their flexible nature they tend to "go limp" after a while especially at highway speed. A lot of people seem to leave them unfinished, but paint actually takes to them quite well if prepped correctly; lots of cleaning with denatured alcohol and a couple coats of adhesion promoter.

-Chris

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:29 am 

After thinking for years that I would redo it in white I suddenly decided one day I wanted an unusual and understated non-metallic color. Medium Gray won out.

I've always disliked the shakiness of urethane spoilers too, wonder how much front-end vibration actually comes from them at speed? Mine sags in the center so I'm going to put a long aluminum brace inside the top lip and secure it with some allen head screws. Done properly it should be nearly invisible. Not sure about painting it because I'm worried about hitting curbs, scraping. We'll see.

Post subject: Looks Great!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 am 

Brian, Great to see you and Frank at the Z Con 2013 Car Show.
Wish you had your car finished for the car Show!
Looking forward to your unvailing at one of the CTZCC meetings.
What is your ETA ?

1976 280Z ( My First Z, now parts car)

Post subject: re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:07 am 

I still have the hood to shoot and some other bits. Its slow going because I'm doing the body panels at different times (doors, fenders, headlights etc).

But should be all done in the next couple of weeks. SAT/SUN are the only days I can spray due to work...and it has to be dry and above 60F. This weekend looks like a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:22 am 

I've often wondered how a Z would look with accent-colored headlamp scoops? Trying to picture Bryan's Medium Grey car with black scoops (or something).

BTW Phrog, I've seen this car since the paint went on. It's called Medium Grey but it looks.....like something else. Depending on where you're standing, the light does strange things to the color. I saw olive green and some sort of plum purple in there, too.

We once had a 1956 Chevy Nomad station wagon which was painted red. Under different lighting at night you could walk past the car in a parking lot and not recognize it as your own because it had 'changed color'. I suspect Bryan's Z will try to pull just such a disappearing act.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:34 pm 

Accent colored scoops are an acquired taste, Frank. I personally can only stand them when paired with headlight covers. Otherwise it looks like someone gave your Z Irish sunglasses.

-Chris

Post subject: Final
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:23 pm 

Well after 10 months of welding, sanding, planning and spraying the Winter 2012 paint project is done. The project Z in moonstone white has now been converted completely to medium gray.

This project left me with a very healthy respect for auto painters who can shoot paint like glass. Despite planning for several years I found that all the books I read and videos I memorized didn't prevent some orangepeel, drips, and a bug or two from sticking...a spider even dropped into my final panel. I painted the car in my back yard and driveway though...so I got what I got.

Over this winter I plan on color sanding/cutting/buffing it, so the rough edges I have now will hopefully be gone by next spring. For now I just want to drive it. Photo below, taken this morning.

Last edited by Datsun Z Garage on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:49 pm 

Looks great Bryan!! Can't wait to see it in person!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next