Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:25 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Front End Refurb
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:42 pm 

Well, today is a big day: I finally get to say the front end refurb is done. OK Frank, I know we are never "done", there is always something that needs attention. This is the point where I say "enough for now" and move on to other areas. I'm not looking for a concourse or restoration quality effort because first I can't afford it. More important, that would result in the car becoming a GQ and I'm too selfish to not drive my car on a regular basis.

So, here goes a photo recap of this effort.

Here is the starting point when I pulled the car apart 10 years ago:

After a good wash job, there was a really nice car under all that dirt. Most important: no rust!!!

Here are some non-factory holes to be repaired, including two 1.5" lovelies for the A/C lines. There were two more in the passenger side footwell!

Repairs complete

Ah yes, Frank's famous spray-on truck bed liner. I noticed that Nissan had originally finished the inside of the shock towers with a slick finish, presumably to shed water and dirt, and avoid a rust buildup. So, no TBL in the shock towers, instead a good coat of POR-15.

Here is the car in my garage door paint booth, getting ready for some 920 gold acrylic enamel.

Fresh 920 gold paint, but not yet finished.

At last, the rebuilt front suspension is back in . A big thanks to Paul Makin for the tip to move the car during installation, not the suspension assembly.

With some careful masking, I was able to preserve the original paint code sticker.

And finally, a shot of the completed effort.

Next on the project list is the rear suspension overhaul.

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:54 pm 

Looks GREAT Jim! Wonderful job. Love the color. :)

The chassis looks to be in great shape. Look forward to reassembly, it is lots of fun. One day you will suddenly realize that there is nothing left to bolt together, you are done!

Keep us posted on the progress!

JT

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:25 pm 

Thanks John, I thought you would approve of the color. Getting the front suspension back in was the first significant reinstallation of parts and it really gave me a "feel good" boost. That assembly had to wait quit some time until I could get the front clip finished. I think things will move along at a better pace now, winter months not withstanding. At least I don't have to deal with snow and ice! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:01 pm 

Nice dude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:26 pm 

OK, going to present you with a challenge:

Get her done by next July. I'll meet you in Nashville at the convention and we can get the two 920 gold '70s together for a picture!

YOU CAN DO IT!

:D

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:37 am 

Heck yeah, he can ~ he's had a 10 year head-start! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:38 pm 

Uh-oh, the challenge flag is on the turf! Lets see, you guys want me to finish the car AND do a credible job in about 6-7 months. And... I'm sure you are both headed to a nearby bank to establish a trust fund to help me pay for all of this. Right???

OK John, your challenge does create some interest on my part. All I can promise is I will do my best to meet it. You can measure my progress by my posts to this forum. Stay tuned for updates! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:37 am 

Hey, it's ONLY money, right???

LOL! :lol:

It'll all be worth it!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:08 am 

Jim ~ REALLY nice job! :wink:

You take your place among the handful of members who have stripped their early 240Zs down to the bare metal and restored them by hand. Dan Linquist, John Taddonio, Dave Russell, Robin Foote, and a few others have each seen every square inch of bare metal on their Zs.

Aside from congratulating you, I would also say THANK YOU for pouring so much love, sweat, blood and money into the preservation of such a deserving machine. Your car should now outlive you, and serve as a monument to your efforts for future generations to appreciate and enjoy. Just keep it out of the hands of anyone under 20yrs old! :lol:

*(And really nice work on that paint decal ~ that usually suffers during a restoration job :wink: )

Frank

*(Oh, one more thing. For those rainy or miserably hot/cold days when you just can't work on the car, and are feeling bad about the time/effort/money you've already invested in it, get John to send you his 16-chapter story about what he had to go through to rebuild his 1970 car! You'll feel much better! :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:50 am 

Frank T wrote:

*(Oh, one more thing. For those rainy or miserably hot/cold days when you just can't work on the car, and are feeling bad about the time/effort/money you've already invested in it, get John to send you his 16-chapter story about what he had to go through to rebuild his 1970 car! You'll feel much better! :lol: )

FOR SURE! I documented the trials/tribulations and triumphs of my 240Z restoration in an 8 part story for our club newsletter. If any of you are interested in reading it, just send me your email and I will be happy to send it your way!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com