Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:09 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:09 pm 

The time has come for me to re-install the plastic "clamshell" panels around the interior of my 1970 240Z. I want to insulate them this time and I am wondering what material to use.

When I drove the car in the 70s and 80s, I always wanted to pull the panels off and stuff some kind of thermal insulation and sound deadening material between them and the steel walls of the shell. It was just too loud in there sometimes, and the car was sensitive to outside temperature.

When I got the car back last year, the panels had been pulled off for an interior rebuild which was halted half-way thru. Now I am finishing that job and want to know what materials are KNOWN GOOD to use as heat and sound insulation.

I am considering plain under-carpet foam padding, or maybe packaging foam, or maybe styrofoam, or even soft rubber chunks (packing "peanuts"). But I'm worried about the flammability or aroma of each of those.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:18 pm 

Dynamat is what folks with great cash use Frank. Can't believe how expensive this stuff is. I believe there are cheaper brands available.

http://www.dynamat.com/store/store-car.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:47 am 

Dynamat is great stuff, but is heavy and expensive. It's main purpose is as outside sound deadening for better sound for audio systems.

When I redid my 240, I went with double sided aluminum face foam. The foam is about 3/8 inch thick. Cut and molded to fit, glued down with 3M contact cement spray. I did the entire floor and cargo area (see pic). I did not consider doing the sides behind the plastic panels as most road noise reverberates from the road UP. Not a bad idea to try though!

DO NOT use carpet foam or the original type jute insulation! It is a sponge for moisture and will do your car much more harm than good!

My 2 centZ!

Attachments:
FLOORS.JPG
FLOORS.JPG [ 76.5 KiB | Viewed 6033 times ]

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:27 pm 

I took John's advice on this and I'm glad I did. The results are remarkable. I went to my local Home Depot and bought a simple 16" x 25ft roll of REFLECTIX insulation. It's double-sided aluminum, sandwiching a center of 'bubble wrap' plastic air bubbles. The whole thing is less than 1/4" thick and weighs NOTHING. It's meant for home insulation around heating pipes and hot water pipes, but it should be marketed for Z cars. :D

It's very flexible and 'quilted', so it's easy to cut into straight strips. I custom-cut it to cover my cargo deck and was delighted to discover the 16" width is exactly the width of each floorboard footwell :D

I then cut pieces to fit under each plastic wall panel, including the long rear plastic panel which covers the rear tail lights inside the cargo area. I discovered this had the added advantage of cutting out about 99% of all exhaust fumes which had been sneaking back into the cabin! :shock: This surpriZe would have been worth the price of the entire project, itself!

To hold it in place, I opted not for spray adhesive but for really good double-sided carpet tape. I bought a roll of ROBERTS' double-sided carpet seam tape, 3" wide by 15ft long. This stuff is the best Home Depot carries, and is stickier than flypaper! Great stuff. The flammability and permanence of spray adhesive concerned me, but this tape allows the insulation to be removed if/when I need access to the metal areas of my interior.

THE RESULT is that my car is FAR quieter inside now! Road noiZe is noticeably reduced, so I can hear the Twice Pipes from OUTSIDE the car, rather than from inside. And the almost total elimination of exhaust fumes from the tail light gaskets is worth the entire price of the stuff to me.

I got the 25ft roll of Reflectix, and it proved to be plenty for my car. I still have enough left over to insulate the doors if I can think of a way to do that without interfering with moving partz. I haven't noticed any thermal advantages yet, altho in my mind I imagine the car being less drafty at speed.

The whole project ~ Reflectix and Roberts' carpet tape, cost me $28.

THANKS JOHN! :wink:

*(JIM ARNETT, ARE YOU WATCHING THIS?)

Attachments:
File comment: Total insulation left me this much Reflectix to put under the door panels. Small box of ROBERTS' 2-sided carpet tape is super-sticky.
IMGA1645.JPG
IMGA1645.JPG [ 55.75 KiB | Viewed 6010 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:00 am 

Hi Frank,
Yup, looking over your shoulder on this as always. Thanks for the detail post - everything is filed away for my future work.
Jim

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:01 am 

I just wanted to bump this thread up to the top of the list, so TheZman could find it quickly.

Who else put this stuff into their 240Z recently? We just had a great thread with pictures of a full-floor 240 covered with this REFLECTIX and now I can't find it.

Maybe Jim Arnett or Robin Foote? Can't find it now and I want to show it off to TheZman, who is thinking about doing it to his 280 before laying in new carpet.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:18 am 

Frank

The thread you're after is under 'Body/Style/Appearance'.
6th line down,authored by logan1

Zee ya on the 10th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:18 am 

RIGHT! Thanx, Al.