Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:16 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:00 pm 

Hello CTZCC. I am new to the site and this is my first posting. The other day, I had the crazy idea to get the BSR portion of my Datsun/Nissan collection out to get some pictures of it. It was an eye-opening moment to see most of it in one place at the same time. Thought you guys might get a kick out of this like I did. Enjoy.....http://s62.photobucket.com/user/1972pennyz/library/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:54 pm 

:shock: HOLY CROW!

I just had multiple flashbacks there! I saw stuff I haven't seen since the '70s!
Are those two BSR aftermarket parts catalogs I zee poking out from the pile in the first picture? I used to get those as often as possible and drool over the stuff I couldn't afford (BSR front spoilers were something like $75 back then ~ a King's ransom for us poor boys).
And I won't even say anything about that BSR cam cover in the second photo (except, "IS IT FOR SALE?")

Jeesh ~ what a collection!

Frank T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:50 am 

Frank, which pieces are you referring to? I have 16+ parts catalogs on the table. The earliest parts/price list is dated 2/71- it's the yellowed paper in the lower left corner. Just to it's right is a set of lists for each of the different cars/trucks they offered parts for at the time (72) Across the back standing up are 4 press kits and the item in the blue report binder is to my knowledge a report/proposal from BSR and Gene Crowe to Nissan Jpn on help with valves/valvetrain parts for the development of the V8 engine used in the IMSA AAGT 280ZX racecar. A pair of newsletters on the staus of the race team- one in 1973 and the other right after EFR took the wheel after Bob's terrible accident in 1976. I have one newsletter from the Datsun Owners Club. I also have some of the posters, t-shirts- from the Datsun era and from the Oldsmobile days; a penent stringer with N-SR / Planters Pacesetters penents on it, and alot of photos, magazine articles,etc
that weren't pictured. It's a sickness of sorts! As for the cam cover- she will eventually be the crown on my 240Z's engine which also has ties to the BSR family. Glad you had a nice trip down memory lane.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:06 pm 

["...Bob's terrible accident in 1976"]. He tells funny stories about that crash. You should hear him sometime ~ he'll make it hard for you to catch your breath from laughing. We've heard it several times and it never grows old.
Apparently, a lot of strange things go thru your mind while you're cartwheeling end over end at 170mph in a lightweight Japanese car.... :lol:

Back in the 1960s there were several sportscar catalogs which offered interesting devices for the cars we couldn't afford. Haan and MG Mitten come to mind now, but there were others as well. They were full-color hi-level catalogs (initially ~ later B&W) with pictures of racing gloves, helmets, badge bars for the front of your Alfa/MG/Healey/Porsche, etc, Nardi steering wheels, Halda Speedpilots (some of you guys will have to look that up), shift knobs, racing mirrors, hairpin rollbars, chrome Borrani wheels, Dunlop Roadspeed and Michelin X tires, etc. By the 1970s they were pretty much done. Then along came Bob Sharp catalogs with his color covers and B&W sketched interior catalogs, and I couldn't wait to get the next one. Each issue contained the latest 'trick' BSR had developed since the last issue, making their cars a little quicker or faster on the track. You've got several of them there, I can see.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:03 pm 

This is like the Tut tomb of Bob Sharp memorabilia. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:03 pm 

Scotty Cole should know about this. If Bob signed all those catalogs, they would triple in value.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:49 pm 

I had sent the pictures to Scott prior to this site. He's seen them. Hopefully I can get Bob to sign some items in the near future. btw Frank, Scott's bsr cam cover is up for sale and is the least expensive of the 3 I know of available at the moment. Give him a call