Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:21 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm 

Here's an interesting website from the Z Club of Hungary, concerning our Bob's racing history.

Wonder if we should have him write a HELLO email to them?

http://www.zclubhungary.hu/BobSharp.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:37 pm 

yeah we should reach out to them. that would be cool and i am sure they would be thrilled. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:04 am 

And he's also known here, my friend has Z31 300z painted with BSR colours :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:32 am 

It's strange to get to know your heroes personally.

Back in the '70s, when I first owned my Z and Bob was racing car 0006, I bought & built a nifty plastic model of it,. Took my time and did a really good job. Quite realistic in paint, decals and detail. Over the years I moved quite a bit, but that Z was prominently displayed in each new house I moved into. Eventually one of my nephews "ate" it and it got thrown out. But I followed BSR thru the 70s and 80s because of the advancement they gave our Z cars, and the race-proven aftermarket parts they offered Z owners. I was also enamored by Bob's petite wife, Carol, who always appeared out of the crowd in her boots and miniskirt to capture his arm and lead him off the podium (and away from the Race Queen). Sometimes she carried their tiny little toddler, Scotty, with her.
(That toddler grew up to become today's LeMans champion racer Scott Sharp).

Today we know him as "Bob" and have stood around after many monthly meetings, feeding mosquitoes and laughing at the hilarious stories he tells about racing "back in the day". It seems he knows everybody and we have certainly benefited from knowing Bob ~ he has opened some incredible doors for this Club which would have remained closed to us otherwise. It's an amazing experience to walk thru the pits at Lime Rock Park with Bob ~ everybody drops their wrenches and comes over to say hello to him. I got to meet some big-named racers from my youth that way recently.

And he's a funny guy ~ Bob Sharp could have been a standup comedian if he'd ever wanted to be. He has more stories than Carter has pills and loves to entertain a crowd. He never lost his flair for hard ("spirited") driving, and is pretty well known on the highway in his GT-R, which he finally has got fixed "the way I want it".

A legend, in our time, in our back yard.

Frank

Attachments:
File comment: "Our" Bob Sharp
IMGA1631.JPG
IMGA1631.JPG [ 56.37 KiB | Viewed 8101 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:53 pm 

I am involved in email correspondence with Sandor Szikszai, the founding PreZident of the Z Club of Hungary. Sandor is anxious to receive any items autographed by Bob, especially a photograph of Bob and his car.

I recall we had a really good picture of Bob in his racing suit, standing beside his replica 240 at Lime Rock about 2 years ago. I will have to contact Scotty and ask if there is a copy of that shot available for Bob to sign. We can send it to Hungary and let Sandor brag about it over a few beers.

I know we have that photograph entered here on the website somewhere, but I have forgotten where. Anybody remember it? I made a comment about Bob being "our knight in armor" or something like that.

We can also mail Sandor one of our CTZCC decals for his 300zx. It's nice to have Z friends around the world.

Frank T