Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:43 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:32 am 

David Russell's artistic rendering of the old DATSUN logo's - moves me to share one of my "artistic" endeavors...

With 1995 and the 25th Anniversary of the Z Car approaching - - I had wanted to capture some of the memories at various points in time - during the first 25 years of my Z ownership. I decided that one way to do that, would be to pull old photographs out of my albums and arrange them in somewhat chronological order around a current photo of the 72 240Z that I purchased new.

I went to a local "art" supply store and bought a 2'x3' foam core poster board and started digging though my old photo's. Gee, I found that I had significant gaps in time where no photo's had been taken... if they were taken. they were very poor quality pictures... bummer....

Nonetheless, I started to layout the old photo's I had, along with some more current ones on the poster board..... but it really lacked any artistic appeal. The project sat in my office for several months during the secon half of 1994, and I just couldn't seem to convert what I had in mind - into the physical world. The fact of the matter is - I had no artistic ability.

Then 1995 arrived and I found out that Mr. K would be returning to America to attend the 25th Anniversary of the Z Car - at the annual Z Car Convention to be held in Atlanta. That gave me a real incentive to finish the project - because I wanted to give him a copy of the resulting Poster. I wanted him to know that many of us had kept our Z Cars from day one, and how much they had become a part of our family. This idea however increased the need for the project to produce something really presentable.

So I hired a professional graphics artist and attempted to explain what I wanted in terms of producing a Poster for myself. She was a younger lady, perhaps mid 20's... and she looked at me like I was crazy as I tried to explain my love affair with the 240Z and how it seemed to be so incorporated into my life and my family's life over the past 25 years... it was far more than just a "car".

At the end of the first meeting with her - I left a small package of photo's - and she assured me that she had some understanding of what I was asking for. She said she'd call me when she had a few alternatives drafted, then we could go over them and see if any fit my desires. I left without much hope that she really understood what I was looking for...

A couple days later she called and ask me to stop by. I did, and she had hand drawn a couple of different layouts.. and the amazing thing to me was that she had hand drawn copies of several of the photo's right in the layout. It was in itself an amazing sketch... I told her that the concepts she presented were exactly what I was looking for - indeed far better than I hoped for. The next step was to scan the actual photo's into the the computer and start the actual layout of the background and colors etc.

A week later she had it done... After I reviewed it on the computer, she had five copies printed. They were 2'x3' and finished in protective vinyl.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. K at the 1995 Convention. One of our IZCC member's Mother happened to be Mr. K's personal assistant for his years at Nissan Motors USA and she had charge of his schedule for his first visit to America since his retirement in 77. She sat a lunch appointment with Mr. K for my wife and I. I gave Mr. K a copy of the Poster and later that week, at a picnic outing - I ask him to autograph my copy.

A few years later, Mad Mike visited Mr. K in Japan and from that visit Mad Mike sent me a photograph of Mr. K's Den - - which showed my Poster on display. That made the whole effort worthwhile.

I also sent a copy to the Datsun Dealer that had sold me my 240Z's, and with whom I am still friends to this day. My copy hangs in my office and to this day I sit get a great deal of joy out of having it.

I hope this motivates someone else to gather found memories together and put them somewhere that you can see them daily - - - it simply makes life more enjoyable.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Attachments:
File comment: The Clock starts in the upper Left at 1970..The Silver Z was my first...kept it unitl I bought my Blue 72.
95ZPoster.jpg
95ZPoster.jpg [ 163.41 KiB | Viewed 3401 times ]
File comment: Mr. K in the red shirt and Cowboy hat autographed my copy of the Poster. The lady is Johnnie Gable. She was Mr. K's personal assistant and worked for Nissan for 30+ years.
KPosterLg.jpg
KPosterLg.jpg [ 121.52 KiB | Viewed 3401 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:36 am 

Wow! Really neat Carl. Thanks for sharing this. Ross

Post subject: Fun with photoeditors
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:34 am 

Well done Carl, Nice touch with the background of the US map. Good memoriez. Here is one I did a few years ago of the R390 GTR / Nissans Super car (the 3.5M version has far better resolution, Sorry 2M limit). Fun with computer photoeditors. I also have one or two of the "Infamous" 1989-91 Nissan GTP Car with a shot (mine) of the famous airborne liftoff at Limerock. As you all know it was the car that required the track to install the dog leg/chicane half way up the uphill. Perhaps I'll make one of these for my cars, how inspiring. Again nice job Carl

Attachments:
File comment: R 390 GTR
Nissan R390 GT1- Comp-shrunk.JPG
Nissan R390 GT1- Comp-shrunk.JPG [ 301.02 KiB | Viewed 3385 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:01 am 

Zeeing Katayama-San in another western hat reminds me of these pictures which our member Jake McMahon (TENGU) sent me from Chicago.

Like many foreigners, Mr K appears to be velly interested in our 2nd Amendment Rights to defend ourselves and our families (something few other countries enjoy).

He still needs strong lessons in firearms safety, tho..... :roll:

Attachments:
File comment: So I waived this in their faces and demanded it be called "Z", not "Fairlady"!
Mad Mike - Katayama - 5.jpg
Mad Mike - Katayama - 5.jpg [ 94.3 KiB | Viewed 3380 times ]
File comment: Yu buy TOYOTA???!!! Yuuuu TRAITOR!!!
Mad Mike - Katayama - 6.jpg
Mad Mike - Katayama - 6.jpg [ 372.47 KiB | Viewed 3380 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:11 am 

Great story, and cool pictures, thanks for sharing this. :D