Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:28 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Hagerty big thumbs down
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:08 pm 

This company is of no help and apparently does not want my business. i have tried to apply twice. denied once because of mileage and now because of not having enough daily use vehicles. my wife and I share a vehicle but that vehicle is registered in my name. The Z hardly gets driven so I didn't want to pay regular car insurance rates anymore. this guy declines my and doesn't even help me out. i say so if we both my wife and I had cars i would be ok? he says probably not since the car had been declined before and he doesn't want to suggest i get another vehicle although this is the reason i am being denied. poor poor poor customer service. i thought businesses wanted....business? you can't insure my 280Z for 5k? really? this is unacceptable to me. does anybody know where else i could go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:25 pm 

That's really strange, I've heard nothing but good things from members of this club regarding Hagerty.

Have you looked into RJ Maher and Associates? When I was planning how much it would cost to own a Z I tried them out. They were pretty reasonable if I can recall correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:52 am 

I feel the same way about Hagerty. Before I was married - no problem - I was a happy Hagerty customer, and they were great. As soon as I let them know I was married, with only one daily driver plus the Z, with 2 licensed drivers in the household, they dropped me. I appealed and caused a big stink to no avail. Hagerty would not cover the Z - since only 1 daily driver is available. My wife and I share our daily driver, but my wife commutes by train, and not to mention she's not even comfortable driving the Z! I understand why they do this - but not sure why they don't make exceptions in certain cases, where you can even document your situation.

So what did I do? Switched to Chubb classic car insurance. Same policy and great service for $20 more per year. Even if we do get a 2nd daily driver, I still would not go back to Hagerty.

1970 Datsun 240z #11137

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:40 am 

Exactly what happened to me. And it's funny you mention Chubb. I saw them and was quoted at 98 bucks for the year. That was half of what hagerty quoted. I'll definitely finish my application with them today. Glad I'm not the only one with this situation. And I agree. If we share a car and that car is registered to me then I see no issue here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:36 pm 

All insurance laws are generated due to mistakes the insurance companies have experienced (and learned from) in the past. They are in business to make a profit. Sometimes it isn't much, compared to the payouts a classic car can cost them.

Insurance fraud is now, and historically has been, one of the most lucrative crimes in the USA. Crooks are generally stupid people, but some of them are clever and come up with some pretty sharp schemes to make money. Insurance companies only have to be stung a few times by that bee before they leave that hive alone.

We may not understand the rules insurance people live by, but you can bet there's a reason behind each of them ~ usually a 'high-stakes-risk' which they learned about the hard way, which your $90 a year premiums will never compensate them for. It's not their desire to drive away business, unless they fear they "can't afford you".

They're not about to explain to you why your particular situation is a high-risk for them. If you don't already know how people cheat their insurance companies, they sure don't want to give you any ideas.

Look at J.C. Taylor, as well.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:14 pm 

The issue is they want every licensed driver in the household to have a daily driver registered to ensure that no one uses the insured classic car as a daily driver.

They have probably found that the classic car is driven more often in households where not everyone has a daily driver, obviously driving up the chance of an accident and accompanying claim.

Post subject: Insurance
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:11 pm 

Try quotes from J.C. Taylor........very reasonable

Irv Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

I think Phil and Frank are right on the money...these car insurance companies (like most mega-corporations), operate on rigid, uniform rules...it simply would cost them far more money than they would make if they looked personally into every applicant's situation. As a result, they came up with the simple rule that, as Phil said, you need one daily driver per adult driver in the household. It's far from perfect, as theZman proves, but it is extremely cheap to administer...Fortunately, there are other viable alternatives who don't follow that rule (at least not yet...).

And don't forget, insurance companies (whether it's home, auto, health, whatever) are even more inflexible than most businesses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:52 pm 

i understand that. i think when you think of a company like Hagerty you automatically picture a situation where you are walking in a dangerous snowstorm and in the distance you see a house with a light on and the mailbox reading Hagerty and you go to the house all excited happy to finally find shelter and when you open the door and ask if you can stay for the night to keep warm they look at you and without thought just turn you away because you are too much of a liability to them and they don't want you getting mud in there house. where as these other companies mentioned are happy to let you come in and will even give you something to eat while you guys weather the storm even though there house might not be as nice as Hagerty's.

don't know if this makes sense but hey it's winter we could all use a good story. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:03 pm 

...if that ain't the best analogy I've heard in a while...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 pm 

Filipe wrote:
...if that ain't the best analogy I've heard in a while...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:22 pm 

Sorry, it brought to mind Rocky Horror..... :?