Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm 

Attn 240 types!
If you're having trouble w/ a cranky headlight switch (or when you do) THE guy to talk to iz Dave Werdein 585-506-7811 out of the Rochester club. Their esteemed prez John T. put me in touch w/ Dave after hearing my plight this past July. (The Rochester boyz throw a heckuva car show btw). My switch had been acting up,even to the point of the headlights going off while underway! Dave refurbished it to like new condition in both operation/appearance,not to mention getting it back to me in only a week and at at reasonable price! Since Nissan has discontinued this part,the service was all the more invaluable. Highly recommended!

Al B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:42 pm 

Great to hear that you've "seen the light" Al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:43 pm 

Great. One less reason for you to arrive late at our meetings and events!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:21 pm 

Thanks Al ~ it's finally time for me to use this advice. Mine are beginning to show signs of need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:20 pm 

Does this mean your gona put the covers on, or get some :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:35 pm 

I just had Dave Werdein rebuild my original 42-yr/old combination switch (the one which came from the factory on my 240Z). I couldn't be happier.

The switch had electrical and mechanical problems. Dave fixed them all and cleaned every electrical connection, repainted the symbols and gave each position a firm, audible "CLICK" again.

Dave remained in contact with me throughout the process by phone and email, telling me what he found inside the switch and when I could expect it back. It arrived on the exact day he predicted ~ less than 10 days turn-around.

I have less than $140 invested in this rebuild, including all shipping/mailing in both directions. My old original switch is like new again ~ it looks like it just came out of an NOS box (which would have been impossible, since NISSAN has stopped making these). I now have two more switches I will send Dave without hesitation.

I highly recommend Dave for rebuilding these complicated devices. You can reach him by mail: DavsHome@FronteirNet.Net (no "E" in Davs), or call him at the number Al shows, above.

Attachments:
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 7439 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:24 pm 

Dave is simply the best when it comes to refurbishing Z switches and wiring harnesses. When I restored my 240z, he refurbished the headlight and turn signal switch to like new. I also had him do the engine bay wire harness which was a mess. Over the years it had been cut, spliced, melted, greased and abused. I dont know what he did, but it came out like it just came from the factory. The connectors were all shiny again and the plastic connectors were white again! Even the factory part number tag was likw new!

These are now very old antique car parts folks. If you need help with them, Dave's your guy!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:54 pm 

Oh, I forgot to mention ~ Dave also sent me photographs of the interior partz in my switch, showing me what was broken and what was worn and (gasp!) something which SHOULD have been in there, but was missing! :shock: He replaced the missing spring/ball check, by the way.

Thanks John T, for steering us to Dave. He's one of life's little rewards. And I undrstnd if you want good bee honey, he's a bee keeper too. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:13 pm 

I know it's not "stock", but a headlight relay harness is really something any S30Z owner who actually drives their car should invest in. In stock configuration, all power to the headlights flows through that switch, which wears it out really quick (not to mention those tiny wires and contacts not able to flow enough amps makes the lights dimmer) especially now that they're ~40 years old. The contacts get hot and they melt the little plastic nubs. That's where the relay harness comes in, so that the only power the switch has to handle is to pop a relay, while the lights themselves draw power directly from the battery (through a fuse of course).

Minimal, REVERSIBLE wiring modifications, brighter reliable headlights, less wear and tear on the nigh-irreplaceable switch.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:17 am 

I agree Phrog. I have my headlight harness hear to install, AND, also have a parking light harness as well. Motorsports. Also the Altenator upgrade is a must.