Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

Frank T., Bryan L. and I took a trip to Chick's "junkyard" in Wallingford a couple of weeks ago. We wandered this "graveyard" museum and found many classics (among them, four pre-1982 Z's)...

If you are willing to get your hands dirty and you'll looking for that original, hard to find part for your old Z, perhaps it's worth a trip to Chick's.

Perhaps Chick's four Z's doesn't sound like much of a selection, but I don't know whether there is another junkyard within 100 miles of here that offers more...As most of you probably already know, there are very few junkyards in our area.

- Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:53 pm 

Hmm, what years were the Z cars? Any turbo donors? Is it a u-pull-it?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

mikeatrpi wrote:
Hmm, what years were the Z cars? Any turbo donors? Is it a u-pull-it?

Thanks!

Two of the cars are ZX's (1980 or 1981 if I recall)...neither are turbos. What part(s) from a turbo are you looking for?

Perhaps Barry or Frank T can pinpoint the years of the older two Zs.

Also, there are some photos and details here:
http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?t=3212

We did some picking and pulling ourselves - no other way to do it at Chicks that I know of...

Post subject: Chicks
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:15 pm 

Chicks is sort of a pick-n-pull in that you take your own parts once he lets you in to search his yard. But it's a pretty laid-back environment.

The cars are wedged pretty tightly next to each other and on the ground. This makes it difficult to open the doors, so drivetrain parts and wheels are pretty much inaccessible. No turbos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:16 am 

I've returned to Chick's several times since this Posting. During the Summer of 2008 they began a (slow) project to relocate all the Z cars together into one area (perhaps due to our recent interest in them). They tell me if I want anything from under the car(s), they can drive a forklift to the car and raise one end of it for us. So differentials, gearboxes, brake cables etc are actually available now.

They also told me if we wanted something serious out of the car(s) (such as an engine), they would tow it into the garage and remove it for us. No cost was discussed, but I'm REALLY confident they wouldn't do that for free. They also have a good assortment of power tools available, which they let me use to remove some obstinate (rusted) bumper brackets. Airpowered cutters are the way to go! Just cut the rusty bolt heads off and carry your priZe away.

Some of these cars are in generally rough shape but have a few parts in very good condition. I went there with a shopping list for several other members and was able to take 99% of what I needed. As Brian mentioned, these cars are sitting on the deck and wedged pretty tightly door-to-door. That makes interior partZ a bit of a challenge to retrieve, as I learned from a claustrophobic experience while trying to recover a steering column "clamshell" cover for one CTZCC member (my foot pushed thru the floorboard and got caught, trapping me for a few looonnng minutes upside down in a 90-degree hot 280Z with the windows closed. Felt like my coffin and I was a long way from the office. Take a friend if you plan to wiggle down inside any of these cars!:oops:)

When I finish picking the meat off of #42421, the shell will go to Chick's to spend Eternity with the other Zs there. By that time it will have been pretty well consumed and only recognizable by the classic roofline.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:43 am 

Frank, did you happen to notice any z31's in the yard? I'm thinking of doing the 300zx MAF/ECU swap this summer and I'm trying to find parts. I need a late 80's 300zx ECU, preferably turbo 5-speed, the MAF and the chopper wheel from inside the distributor. I also need a distributor spindle/shaft from a 82/83 turbo 280zx.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:05 pm 

Nope ~ nothing later than early '80s when I was there last, and no turbo cars.

Go fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:11 pm 

I "sorta" want those rear window louvers for the hatch on my ZX. "Sorta" because I don't really want to drill into the hatch to mount them, but I want the shade and sun protection they'll provide. Ho hum. Decisions.

Phil, why the z31 conversion when megasquirt is available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:34 pm 

I was waiting for someone to ask that question. I know you've started your MS installation, did you assemble your's yourself or purchase it pre-built? The Z31 conversion seems pretty straight forward, besides I would need a laptop for tuning, no big deal I guess. I've lots of good things about MS. You're lucky in that Dave and a few others are in your neck of the woods should you run into any issues. Does Clive run MS in the EvilZ?

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:47 pm 

MIke, I just saw this NOS louver setup on Ebay. $19 would be a steal!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-79-8 ... ccessories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm 

Mike, I was just reviewing your turbo swap pictures, you've been a busy boy!! Looks great, nice and clean. How close are you to firing it up??

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:17 pm 

No MS on the EVIL Z but I will be running it on the L30ET car this Spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:37 pm 

Thanks for the compliments and the link! I am checking the web now, to see if those will fit.

Phil I had it idling before I took the car off the road for the winter, but barely. I ran out of time before the cold and snow blew in. I didn't get far with the tuning.

I built the kit myself. It wasn't too difficult, then again I'm an EE by trade! I mounted it in the stock computer location and ran a new wiring harness I built through the firewall. My sensors are either from the junkyard or stock datsun sensors.

I'm an hour from Dave and he's offered to help - I'll probably call him in the spring. To get it idling I received a lot of help from friends on the web at hybridz.

Your engine should be a good starting point for MS. The 81 has a CAS setup you can tie into for the timing input, if I remember right.