Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Another Zeason ends
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:52 am 

Well folks, I was able to sneak in another Z ride yesterday as the weather was still cooperating. I took a short trip and the car ran great. I even swung buy to chat with Surfer D who was busy in his driveway working on a relative's RAV4. The 777 work is next on the docket.

Sadly to say though, the winter weather is coming upon us this week and with it comes the snow, sand and salt which likes to eat our little Z's alive. So, she is now tucked in the garage with her blanket waiting for spring. The picture says it all. At least I was able to get the fuel pump issue resolved over the summer and managed to enjoy a few short road trips. I hope to enjoy a better Zeason with you guys in 2021.

Happy Holidays!

Attachments:
Winter is here.jpg
Winter is here.jpg [ 40.19 KiB | Viewed 2999 times ]

Post subject: Re: Another Zeason ends
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:04 pm 

:( Sad to zee end for another Zeason.

My car will be anxiously awaiting the spring, so we can share some miles together John.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:58 pm 

Hey John!

Glad you snuck in one more Z drive before old man winter spoils the fun.

Frank, I hope you were able to get one in too.

Happy Holidays guys!

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:07 am 

JohnnyZ,

My garage has similar appearance: a covered Z car, an orange Ariens machine, and trash containers. One major difference...I can't eat off my garage floor! I also have a 4 drawer dresser that I picked up on the side of the road to refinish, or at least sand and paint, for our grandson.

At least "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" with a foot of new of snow on the ground.

Merry Christmas, happy Chanukah, happy Holidays and happy New Year to all,

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:14 pm 

Indeed, Happy Holidays to all fellow Z brothers and sisters!

My Z driving and event participation was pretty much nothing in this awful year. The 240z had perhaps two jaunts and the 300zx about the same. No car shows, no cruise nights, nothing.

My winter will be filled with getting my 530Z project up and running then hopefully body and paint work by Spring. I look forward to lots of seat time in it next year.

Here’s to a SAFE, healthy and prosperous 2021. We certainly deserve it!

PeaZe.

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:06 am 

To a better year for sure. Well the Z may be put away, but the work is about to begin. To get Cue ball ready for zcon and it's 49th birthday, it's time to put the rack and pinion in along with new front bushings, ball joints and tie rods. I'm also looking at another engine, my ZX close ratio transmission, and 3.9 rear end. Then new rear bearings and bushings, maybe shocks. Also rear valance panel, and go original front end now that I have all the pieces and the BRE like spoiler to go with it. Front end work is a must, engine just needs front seal and will work, transmission ok, but older 5-speed, rear end whines a bit, but will work. So that's just all a plus if I get that done. Rear bearings to get rid of that .001 amount of play that cost me track day in 2017. It's more like figuring out why the new bearings I put in didn't go the extra .001. This is gona be a fun winter. :shock: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:58 am 

Hi Paul,

It sounds like you have a few projects to keep you busy this winter.

Ah yes, rear wheel bearings. Not that easy a job as I last recall. One thing is critical that may be a factor in your .001" rear wheel bearing play (see note below) which I figure you probably already know, but you may want to check that you have the right "distance pieces" installed. They are typically marked with an "A, B or C" and correspond to the letter stamped on the bearing/axle housing. They provide the proper spacing between the inner and outer wheel bearings once you properly torque the wheel bearing locking nut. At least this applies to the 1971 240Z.

Axle turning torque : 390 in-lb (28.7 in-lb at hub bolt)
Shaft play: 0 to 0.0057 in. NOTE: Your .001 in. is well within in spec from what you mentioned

Make sure you use new locking nuts.

Cheers and may your 2021 be everything you wished for!