Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Z Mechanics
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:20 am 

Hello all,

I apologize if this topic has been posted previously, as I'm sure it has.

I need to find a good Z mechanic in the CT or RI area. The best three I know: Vinny Bedini, Clive Bogle and Paul Junior (son of Paul Riccioli in NJ) are either tied up or don't fit the bill for other reasons.

I have a variety of small jobs I need done to the Z and currently don't have the garage space (or in some cases the talent) to perform them myself.

Do we have folks in CT that are really experienced with these cars and have a lift?

Since the car is very original I also need someone who will be very careful with it.

Any leads would be appreciated!

My laundry list is:
I've had a very slow oil leak for about ten years that I am tired of dealing with. Most likely just a new oil pan gasket is required.

Just recently, my rear brake lights stay on even after turning the car off. I've had to disconnect the battery to avoid running it down.

The heat does not work. I've replaced the thermostat, which had no effect.

I'd like to have someone check the brakes, replace fluids and bleed. Brakes are pulling to the right and are sometimes challenged to stop the vehicle (never a good thing).

With the rise of prices for originality, I decided to pull out the aftermarket stereo and reinstall the original. I used to do stereo installs but those days are behind me. Need someone to install the correct bracket and connect the wires.

An odd little problem: One of the bolts on the hood vent has snapped off, which means that it no longer sits flush. I've tried JB Weld and it was't strong enough. The bolt needs to be welded or somehow reattached.

Post subject: Re: Z Mechanics
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:01 am 

I can't help with suggestions, as I live too far from you (PA). Vinny of course is my recommendation but you already know that.

Your brake light issue I'd bet is a faulty brake light switch. Very easy to check it's function with a multimeter. When it's actuated you should have continuity and when it's not the circuit should be open. Sounds like it's stuck in the on position to me.

The only fix I know for a broken bolt is to drill it out, retap the threads and replace it with a new one. My recommendation here, as I've done this many times, is to use good (expensive) drill bits. Cheap ones can make the job seem nearly impossible and infinitely more frustrating.

I think going stock is a smart move given the shockingly high prices old Z's are getting these days. I wish you luck finding a good mechanic, I'm sure you will.

I also would like to say Thank You to you for hosting the fall outing. I was lucky enough to attend just one, but it really was a day I'll never forget, really fun. I made the run to your beautiful house in my 260z with my Dad riding shotgun.... The longest run I ever took it on. We had a ball. I didn't get to talk to everyone and you were one of the people I'd have liked to have met. Also, you had your GT33 350Z for sale on the lawn and my dad still talks about how much he liked that car.

Jay

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:09 am 

Thanks Jay. I appreciate the advice and the kind words. Where is the brake light switch located?

I've sold the house in Darien, CT and the single thing I will miss the most is our Fall Outing (don't tell my wife). We had 14 of them over the years and this past October would have been the 15th if not for Covid.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:07 pm 

Honestly? If you can't get Vinny, I would recommend asking Mike Winters (THESOUNDGUY) to examine your rare Black Pearl's electrical issues. Mike installs stereo systems and knows Zs, but I have no idea about his availability.

The brake light switch should be inside the driver's footwell at the top of the brake pedal if it's like the 240-260. You have to practice your inverted-monkey
skills to change it, and may do better removing the driver's seat so you can still breathe while upside-down under there.

Hey, John T did it and survived.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:45 pm 

Your welcome Ross, I honestly mean it. I enjoyed every drive I took in my Z, but that day was the best of all of them. I wish you luck with your new house and upcoming retirement.

Frank is right, the brake light switch should be located under the drivers side dashboard, where the brake pedal is mounted. The pedal arm typically is what actuates the switch, getting under there to have a look at it is the biggest challenge in the whole thing. I think once you see it it's a fairly self explanatory setup. Move the brake pedal with your hand while watching the switch and you'll see how it works.