Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Sold my Z today
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:22 pm 

Bittersweet day for me today.

I sold my Z. I've loved and cared for her for the last 22 years, never leaving her outside for a single night....and sparing no expense when it came to repairs. I wasn't tracking my "investment" so to speak, whatever she needed she got....regardless of price or if it made financial sense. I did my best for her.

I also never ever thought the day would come when we would part ways. At least not in my lifetime. My intention was to simply pass her down to my sons after me.

Two years ago the unfathomable happened. My father in law pushed her out of the garage one day while I was at work, sending her rolling across the lawn and down the mountain in front of my house. She hit an oak tree and sustained heavy collision damage. A 2 owner, 62,000 mile, rust free beautiful 260Z. It was devastating. And it broke my spirit a bit if I'm being honest.

I've stored her in my brother's garage for the last two years while I decided what to do with her. The insurance company totaled her of course, and I bought her back to make sure that at the very least, the parts helped one or more other Z's live. I didn't have the heart to part her out though, so a few months ago I made the difficult decision to sell her complete, hoping someone would be able to rebuild a basket case shell with everything from mine.

Many have looked, some have even made (low) offers. But it wasn't right so I passed.

Today I am relieved to say that the new owner has plans to fully restore my Z. He said he will send me pictures of the car when she's fixed (I made the sale contingent on that haha). He has a large car collection and is a car nut. Very nice guy too.

So I feel good that at least I was able to make sure she found a good home. She will be living in Queens, NY.

So a bittersweet ending for me. I'm happy it worked out well for my old girl though.

Jay

Post subject: Re: Sold my Z today
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:46 am 

Oh, that's hard news. :cry:
I can only imagine what you might be going thru, because I openly cried (alone, in my rural driveway) as I watched the new owner flatbed mine away in 1985.

The silver linings are, (1) your car might get restored. (2) if it's in Queens it will fall under the purview of our member Clive Bogle's NYZCC so we might see it again. (3) President Clive always brings he is club members to our annual fall outing so you can come back up here and zee your car each fall! :lol: Clive also has a 260z which he is very proud of, so he will be of influence in getting your car restored properly.

Sorry you had to let it go, but you cannot tell what the future might bring. I never expected to see my car again when I sold it and moved up here to the rust belt. It took me 23 years to find it again and buy it back. Hope springs eternal.

Frank

Post subject: Re: Sold my Z today
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:04 pm 

Thanks Frank. I know if anyone understands the feeling of handing over the keys to your Z it's you. Not an easy thing but I'm thankful to have found her a good home anyway.

I like the thought of potentially seeing her at the fall outing, which I am currently planning to attend. Doubtful she'd be ready by then but you never know. Also, assuming Ross is throwing it, of course. I've even saved a few spare parts to contribute to the table.

You'll have to forgive me though, as I'll be arriving in a Toyota tacoma.

I'll park down the street. :oops: