Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Mister K's personal 240Z
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:31 pm 

Thor in Germany shares this interesting story about Mister Katayama's 240z, written by his personal secretary, Jonnie Udea Gable:
Interesting Story about a famous 240 Z:

VIN Number: HLS30-52426 (Mr. K's 240Z)
Original Engine Number: Unknown
Current Engine Number (if not original): n/a
Production Date: 10/71
Original Body Paint Code/Color: 112/Yellow (Lime)
Original Interior Color: Black
Owner: Johnnie and Kenny Ueda
Current Location (City, State, Country): Bellflower, CA, USA
Date Registered: 10/14/2019
Original Factory/Dealer Options: Automatic Transmission, G-Nose, Rear Spoiler, Rear Window Louvers, Rear Tonneau Cover (Mr. K Designed)

Vehicle History:
On May 26, 1963, I became acquainted with Datsun/Nissan Motor Corp. at 137 E. Alondra Blvd, Gardena, California, where I (Jonnie K. Ueda) was employed as a secretary in the Parts Department. Upon entering the Datsun facilities, you were immediately introduced to a very gracious gentleman by the name of Yutaka Katayama (known as Mr. K).

One of my duties was to place the vehicle orders directly to Japan on behalf of Mr. K. As the company grew, Mr. K offered me the opportunity to be his personal assistant. My position as Mr. K’s secretary began in 1965, and I remained in that role until his retirement in 1977. I continued my employment with Nissan in the Government Relations department until my own retirement came. My assistance continued as I coordinated many of Mr. K’s activities post-retirement activities, even though he returned to an honorable position within Nissan’s Nismo division.

Mr. K’s interest in sports cars was widely recognized with his love for the first Datsun roadsters that were sold in the US market. The road rally and racing popularity of these little Datsuns grew very fast. Mr. K had a dream of introducing a larger sports car, equipped with more horsepower and more affordably priced, to the US market. Thus, the Datsun 240Z was introduced to the United States in 1970.

The 240Z design was very inviting and was manufactured with both automatic and manual transmissions. The 1972 model year Datsun 240Z with an optional automatic transmission was not imported into the US until late 1971. Mr. K asked that I requisition an automatic 240Z for use as his personal car in 1972.

I submitted this order after scanning a production list and finding the first vehicle I saw with an automatic transmission code and a yellow paint code. Prior to leaving the port, this 240Z was fitted with a G-nose front end that was available through Nissan’s motorsports department. A rear spoiler and louvered shade kit were also installed. Not satisfied with the color, Mr. K requested that the Z be repainted with the 1972 Chevy Nova yellow color code along with red pearl.

Mr. K also designed a tonneau cover that is installed in the trunk of this Z. Mr. K received a patent from the US Patent Department, which I have retained. A couple of years later, after consulting with Mr. K, I purchased a set of wire wheels in 1979 from Beck’s Wheel City in Gardena, CA. Upon acquiring these wheels, I immediately drove the yellow 240Z to Nissan’s service center where they were installed by Nissan’s Service Manager. What a beauty Mr. K’s 1972 Datsun turned out to be!

Upon his retirement, I was gratefully given the opportunity to acquire Mr. K’s beautiful 1972 Datsun 240Z as my personal vehicle, along with the personalized DMV Plate: 240Z1. My promise to Mr. K was that I would retain his personal 240Z forever. As of September 2019, this 240Z currently has just under 150,000 miles. It was repainted many years ago with the same Chevy Nova yellow and red pearl. It has not had any major engine work since a head gasket was replaced at 5,000 miles.

I drove this Z daily from April 1977 for 15 very reliable years. My most sincere appreciation goes to my son, Kenneth “John John” Ueda for his support with all of the activities he has coordinated for me and the 240Z1 that I have enjoyed for so many years. It is always great to see so many people of all ages enjoying the Z. I hope I will still be driving one at the age of 90.

SPECIAL NOTE: SINCERE APPRECIATION GOES TO MR. K FOR HIS LOVE OF PEOPLE, CARS AND LIFE UNTIL AGE 105. -Johnnie K. (Ueda) Gable, Mr. K’s Forever Secretary