Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Where to find body paint
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:26 pm 

The zx is soooo close to hitting the road. Been trying to find where to buy spray paint to use around windshield and some other spots. Searched online and found 2-3 places. Autopaintdepot.com and Freddyspaint.com. Don't know how reputable. Both sell color in spray. Searched forums for more advice. Anyone out there know of any places.
My guess is Frank T will be first up at bat :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:23 pm 

I may be first up at bat but I'm a strike-out on this inning. :lol:

I've never painted a Z (or a ZX) and have only once watched someone else do it. I helped mask the car a little bit and no overspray happened on the area I masked so I call that a success.

I recently had to find an impossible paint color ("Bultaco Red") to redo a motorcycle tank and after a week of searching I ended up in Middletown, at a small automotive paint store almost directly across the road from Middletown Nissan. I no longer remember the name of the store or the name of the wiZard who mixed up this impossible color for me, but it was cheap and perfect.

We should wait for Porkbun (Larry) to chime in here; he has repainted Daphne about every 6 months for the past 4 years. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:36 pm 

Aha! I found it.

It's NAPA's only Auto paint store in CT, 1153 Newfield St, Middletown. Call them at 860.635.3055 and discuss your paint needs with the paint department.

If you are intent on doing this yrslf, I would recommend shopping there for the paint and supplies you need. They helped me with an impossible project and it came out perfectly, and cheap.

If you intend to have a bodyshop paint it for you, almost anyplace would do and you might even get some sprayer to shoot it for you cheaper on his day off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:45 am 

Thanks Frank!!!!
I'll give them a call. I hope they have the color in a spray can or things will get more complicated. Rather not get involved with spray guns. I'll post pictures soon
PS I read you were near my neck of the woods at Bedini's recently. Met with him once early in my journey to resurrect the 280zx. Very knowledgeable. Hopefully will use him soon for some horsepower increase!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:21 am 

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

They offer exact matches. I resprayed my radiator support with the primmer and base. Exact match. Shipping and order times are not that fast but a super good product. I didn’t use the clear coat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:17 pm 

Zo, how did this work out?