Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:37 am 

Well the zx is that close to getting on the road. Does anyone know of who can do the install of the windshield? There's also a rusted hole near windshield frame. I'm in Danbury.
One body shop wants $1100-1500 for repair and windshield install!
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:35 am 

Four time glass replacement veteran here (3 windscreens and one rear hatch glass). I consider that to be an excessive amount to pay for a windscreen replacement. I've had 4 windows replaced (different cars, not on the Z) for free thru my insurance glass policy. All they cared about was that there was a ding in the glass in front of the driver which was the size of a dime, or a smaller one which was progressing in size. In the case of the shattered rear hatch, it posed health and safety issues which justified complete coverage.

SafeLite AutoGlass and my insurance company coordinated the whole mess without any sweat. I simply filed a claim over the phone, my insurance gave me a claim authorization number, called my local authorized glass people (they gave me a choice of about 4 or 5 nearby), and I made an appointment to get the work done, free. They once even sent a service van to meet me in a park so they could replace the glass right there while I continued with my picnic. The other times I just drove to their shop at my appointment time and watched Judge Judy while three techs ganged up on my Exploder and changed it in about an hour. They even asked if I wanted them to remove and transfer any decals precious to the memory of my life experiences or visits to the DMV Emissions office.

Availability of rare glass such as our Zs might be an issue, but it becomes THEIR issue once the insurance approves the claim over the phone. If you don't currently have 100% glass coverage you might want to delay your repairs until you do have it, and then wisely wait ( 8) ) until you have a ding directly ahead of the driver to file a claim ( 8) ). Dings happen for lots of reasons; road rocks or dropped wrenches in the garage, vandalism or simply mysterious appearances. The cause is unimportant. Dings anywhere except ahead of the driver often get "fixed" by filling the pit with a clear resin epoxy which can be noticed as you drive, but is not obvious from outside unless you know it's there.

If you're telling us the windscreen is completely out of the car and you want it (or a better replacement) installed, I would still recommend a professional auto glass company instead of a body shop. Glass companies do only that specific work, every hour of every day, and have fully equipped service vans which will come to your car wherever it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:39 pm 

It sounds to me that your windshield is presently out of the Z. I would have to partially disagree with Franks advice (sorry buddy) that the windshield replacement companies would be your best choice (especially the chain brands) to install your glass AND REPAIR the rust issue.(?) Their normal fix for rusted out spots in the frame is to scrape the loose rust and paint on a rust stop/inhibitor/converter, then let it dry for 30 minutes and then install the windshield with some "extra" live rubber/urethane in the area that "had" the rust.

In my opinion, the rusted frame will continue to rust under the glass and will probably need to be dealt with again at a later time (and more $$ again). If this fix meets your needs then you should go this route.

If money is not an issue I would suggest having a reputable body shop cut out the rusted areas of the frame and repair it (them) with fresh metal, primer and paint which should permanently fix the frame. Then an experienced windshield installer should do the install.

Most body shops do not install windshields and defer that job to the experts. So, the quote you got might be for proper auto body work and proper glass installation. Definitely ask a lot of questions before choosing how to proceed. Good luck.

Howard J

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:45 pm 

Ah.... I should have known. Frank to the rescue. :D Frank you have been a great help from the beginning.You helped me get the car running. I did a lot on it. Bushings,hoses, suspension,brakes. Now just need tires and torquing of parts then zooooooom!
I thought about the insurance glass coverage thing. Problem is currently looking for an insurer. One wants pictures first the other won't cover glass. The windshield has a big hole on drivers side from a basketball hoop crashing into it. :(
Any recommendations for an insurer?
The other problem is the rusted out hole at the base of the windshield trim. What if there is more rust under there that needs repair. Should I attempt to remove windshield. Assess rust and repair? There shouldn't be a mess. Car was garaged for years. Only outside for 8-10 years if you are lucky.
I had even asked Vinny Bedini but he doesn't do windshields. Neither RDZ.
PS I was thinking of replacing the metal trim around windshield with a rubber seal. Have you heard of anyone doing that. I'm sure that would not allow any water to get under and cause rust and it looks better.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:44 pm 

If we're talking about the same thing, that metal trim around the windshield just slips into grooves in the rubber seal. It does nothing except look pretty. I took mine off permanently (well, I did try to put it back on once but it bent into a "Z" :lol: No lie). You can live with or without it but I've ever heard of anyone putting anything like more sealer into that empty channel where the trim is supposed to be. That wouldn't do anything one way or another except maybe look bad.

I'd have to agree that Howie's (finally) right ~ any structural repair under the glass should be done before the new windscreen goes in.

So you basically have a destroyed windshield which has to be removed anyway, and you have some body rust which has to be repaired before the new window goes in. I would picture you carefully removing the glass with a buddy (you can buy a pair of glass suction cups at Home Depot or Lowes for about $5 each), lifting the glass out and carefully removing the rubber seal around it. That leaves you a sample for ordering the new replacement seal you will want.

I understand you can't drive the car to a body shop for the rust repair under the glass, so make other arrangements. Bodyshop guys are usually car guys and some of the independent local shops might agree to swing by and give you an estimate for spending an hour in your driveway repairing your rust. Or do it yrslf if it isn't horrible. Wire brush, rat tail file, weld-in replacement stock, file smooth and paint it with something worthy.

When it's time to install the new glass, I again agree with Howie (twice already! in the same year!) that an independent shop might save you money if you don't have insurance and are paying for this out of your own wallet. The local boys tend to be more hungry than the national brand shops so they will cut you a deal to come to you and replace the glass in your own driveway. If you had insurance with glass coverage, the big national chains would be the way to go. Shop around for zx windshield prices and for the rubber seal as well, so you'll know the basic prices and can tell if someone is giving you a fair quote or trying to take advantage of you. You can get away with removing the glass and seal yrslf, but installation should be done by an expert.

Sourcing replacement glass is the shop's problem, but it wouldn't hurt you to take a well-focused photo of the glass ID information on the old windshield before you pull it out. That way they know what numbers to order. Look carefully in each corner and you will eventually find the item number etched into your glass.

Wear gloves and goggles, cover the hood with an old blanket. Picture the windshield collapsing or folding in two when you get it out of the car. The blanket will catch glass if the windshield shatters as you remove it. Have a plan where to walk it once it's free, and don't be afraid to carry it in the blanket. A large empty trash can should be standing nearby to accept your broken windshield without having to walk around the garage looking for a place to put it.

I've replaced windshields twice on S-30 Z cars (never my own), and one of them was really easy while the other one was a forever-nightmare. It was really hard digging one of them out of the seal; we had to actually get into the car and push it out carefully with our feet. But your first step should be getting two of those nifty little glass carrying suction cups. Keep them after you're done with the job; they hold lots of weight and you can actually stick them to a smooth wall and do pull-ups from them! :lol:

There are several good insurance companies for classic cars; I happen to find Hagerty meets all my needs. They need a photo so they know what to search for if the car is stolen. They don't care if it's registered or drivable yet or how much you insure it for; you can insure it for more than it's worth as long as you pay the higher premiums. You should decide to insure your car for it's replacement cost; how much would it cost you to find another one exactly like the one you have now? That should be your agreed insured value. The end result will make you happy; you can insure your zx for a whole year for a couple hundred bucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:50 am 

I can't read all that this morning, so anyway there are 2 types of windshield installs, and that would be the gasket style like the S30, and the glue in type like the 280zx. The glue is called Butle. So on the 280zx, keep in mind there is a gasket like shim that I know sits on the bottom of the windshield. I think that's it, and not sure if it is available. You can see it when the chrome is off. Try real hard not to bend that bottom chrome piece. I have no more in stock, but plenty of sides and a few tops left. Once in awhile I have seen the guy advertise new 280zx windshields on RI craigslist.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:24 am 

If you are in a pinch, you may want to try Jim Kinsella in Beacon Falls, CT. He knows Z's inside and out and is an excellent paint and body man who has done work on many of our cars as well as many high end imports. He did my 240Z windshield back in 2002 after doing all the paint and body work on my car. I would suggest ordering new windshield rubber (MSA, Z rubber or other) as the old gaskets get very hard over time and may not be able to be re-used. As Frank mentioned, those stainless trim pieces are mainly for show and are becoming very rare.

Jim's phone number is 203-843-5223.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:03 am 

MSA sells the top gasket, but the bottom one has been out of stock for a very long time. These are what hold the chrome strips on. If you dont have these, then just seal it in with the Butle, (very special windshield adheasive you can buy at most glass places,) then you find clips that hold the chrome strips and glue them in with the Butle.