Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:26 am 

I have heard from Big Al Babik and the lovely Miss (Mrs) Rene that they have safely returned from Atlanta, where they had an incredible time together at Z Con. They seem to have met all our members there who were missing from our Annual Fall Outing picnic, so they're all accounted for, too.

Al will seek a chance to sit down and give us a good description of everything he saw and experienced there, and maybe throw in some pictures if he can make his camera and this website interface.

Frank T

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:07 am 

Working on it. Hoping to make it an early Christmas present.
Al

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:35 am 

Hello and best holidaze wishes to all!

Finally found a few pics from ZCON 2018 in hot 'Lanta. Hope to match pics w/ commentary, but we'll zee what happens.
Headed south Mon 10/15. A 750mi romp got us to Mooresville, NC (home of NASCAR,who knew?) leaving just 250 more to Atlanta on Tue.
Pulled into the hotel mid-afternoon and promptly hooked up w/ the Ontario crew. (They ran 9 Zeds thru the Tail of the Dragon on their way down!) While hanging w/ OZC VP Sweet Lou Pereira and unloading at the hotel front entrance, who should wander out but Yoshihiko Matsuo! Ignoring the the handful of prezent day Zs scattered about, Matsuo San strolls over to check out 'lil red! Time (for me) stood still. Lou had the presence of mind to ask if Matsuo San would be gracious enough for an autograph. W/out a Sharpie in sight, the great and humble man disappears into the hotel, to return w/ a gold one. Highlight of my Z career. Still kicking myself for being too dumbfounded to offer him the keyz for a spin around the parking lot. (Even tops being a guest of Keith Hultmart at a ZCON2013 happy hour where we ended up sharing a table w/ Matsuo and the great Bob Sharp!)
The rest of the day/eve consisted of the opening banquet (food was lame) and the Texas Chili Party where we ran into Scottie Cole, Rich Amituli and Mike Winters.
(Just noticed itz 2:30a so I think the rest of the show will be in installmentz...stay tuned.

Al

Attachments:
atlanta16.jpg
atlanta16.jpg [ 145.03 KiB | Viewed 5793 times ]
atlanta14.jpg
atlanta14.jpg [ 104 KiB | Viewed 5793 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:40 pm 

:shock: HOLY CROW! Chapter One is already an attention-getter; I can't wait for the next installment.

I'm trying to picture driving 750 miles in a Z in one day. I've crossed the country several times but I only remember doing about 500 miles each day, and once I drove from St Lou to Erie overnight, but then got stuck there in a flood so I slept for a few days.

Your story will be one of my Christmas presents.

FT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:45 pm 

That is Awesome Al!

Keep them coming!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:50 am 

Hokay, we're back live from Pachaug Pond w/ a bit more ZCON 2018.
Wed wasn't too active. Sudz' n shine, mingled, skipped the judged car show. Night and some buses brought us to the Sweetwater Brewery where we chowed down on BBQ and craft beerz. However, once enough folks realized breweries do not necessarily also serve booze, a medium-sized cadre convinced one of the bus drivers to assist our ezcape. I've heard the stunt was later duplicated by a Chris Karl led contingent that pushed well into the wee hours.
Thur ayem found yourz truly hazily riding along w/ OZC veeps Mauricio Gomez and Lou Pereira enroute to Atlanta Motorsports Park in Chis Karl's brand spanking new BIG pickemup truck. I think it waz a Nissan, but again, hazy.
AMP iz a beautiful private facility natural terrain track out in the woodz (plenty of kudzu) somewhere north of Atlanta. Not at all meant for the great unwashed masses, as there were no grandstandz to be found. I'm thinking itz one of those high dollar club pay-to- flail your new Porsche populated by drs, lawyers, gunz and money.
In addition to the ZCON autocross event, the place also offered karting. Wide track, elevation changes, hairpinz, straits, 50+mph top speedz... haven't had so much fun since the ride home from New Milford after Vinny rebuilt my tranny and rear bearings.
Closed out the night at a local Bahama Breeze joint. Yeah, itz a chain, but they sell it and do it well.
All of a sudden, itz 12:30a
More to come...

Al

33 in the hotel lobby. (Note the cheezy banner; thinking a tablecloth ,rattlecanz, and Sharpies were involved. Just sayin...)

Attachments:
atlanta2.jpg
atlanta2.jpg [ 204.57 KiB | Viewed 5778 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:07 am 

This is getting better and better.
Being so close to Florida, I'm surpriZed Bob Sharp didn't attend.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:32 pm 

my post #12,998:

Well, as y'all can probably tell, I'm trying to close-out 2018 with 13,000 posts. I am looking fwd to hearing the rest of Big Al's ZCon Adventure as soon as he survives New Years Eve.
Rene, pleaze sit him down at the computer with a cup of black coffee and two Advil as soon as he comes to? :lol:

Thanks.

Last edited by Frank T on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:02 pm 

Hair of the dawg...
Friday bringz Track Day at bee-yoo-tee-ful Road Atlanta, also somewhere north of Atlanta. IMHO one of the better road courses, up there w/ Road America, Laguna Seca, The Glen, the Rock, etc.
So, again, the parade lapz were a non-starter, even coming to a complete halt on a couple of occasions.(I'm somehow reminded of Charlie Brown trying to kick that damn football...but my therapist sez I'm getting better). Still managed to nick 80mph at one point.
Z1 Motorsports was there w/ 4 full race prepped 350/370s. They were selling hot lapz and donating the proceedz to Make a Wish and Hurricane Michael relief, ZCON's charities of choice this year.
Decided that the Fair Mz Rene might enjoy a few hot circuits. Money well spent.
After that, w/ some time on our hands and an empty nearby parking lot, we came up w/ this.
Pretty good day.

Attachments:
atlanta10.jpg
atlanta10.jpg [ 91.58 KiB | Viewed 5748 times ]
File comment: Belting in
atlanta12.jpg
atlanta12.jpg [ 161.22 KiB | Viewed 5748 times ]
atlanta4.jpg
atlanta4.jpg [ 184.26 KiB | Viewed 5748 times ]
File comment: Parade lap staging
atlanta.jpg
atlanta.jpg [ 175.12 KiB | Viewed 5748 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:41 am 

The car I think might be Little Red is parked cooked, in the diagonal slash of the big ''Z". Middle car in a row of 5? Can't see the wheels or decals but that's the only one with those color hood vents.

Wish Bill Moreau had been available.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:36 pm 

Ding ding ding! Tell 'em what he's won Johnny.
Right behind Chris Karl'z roadster. (Got a CK Christmas card this year. 62 yrs and I'm finally somebody!)

Al

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:39 pm 

Saturday brought us the People's Choice car show at a nearby AAA baseball stadium )Atlanta Braves?). Beautiful facility w/ acres of parking space to accommodate the ZCON show and Z Nationals. Some of the s30 categories were so sparsely contested that I could have brought home legitimate hardware merely by entering. Oh well...
Notably missing was Billy and the gang from Courtesy Parts. They consistently produce the best swag at any ZCON that I've attended (5 of the last 6 for those of you keeping score at home) including tees that easily rival ZCON's.
The closing banquet was well managed (much better food than the opening ceremony) and, along w/ the Canucks we managed to score a nice table for the evening's festivities.
Typically the Z Store holdz a fire sale post-banquet and Sun morning. Being cheap, I usually wait til then to pick up my goodies; not so this time. Big disappointment but I did mange to snag an official 2018 poster and a few other items.
Lil red ran great w/ the exception of a bad tank of gas. The only issue was not one but BOTH exhaust hangers snapping. Luckily I still had the same piece of baling wire that I used last year for the same problem to temporarily fix it enuff to get home.
The ride home went well w/ only one overnite in Chambersburg,Pa (660 mi from Atlanta leaving us just 360 mi for Mon).
Two highlights worth mentioning: I earned my 3rd career merit badge for eluding pursuit by the Blue Riders of Law and Profit. This time the adrenaline was produced courtesy of the Pa. State Troopers. Ask me about it sometime...
The other incident was a stretch of I 287 somewhere in the hills of NJ. Beautiful 4 to 6 lane freeway and EVERYONE had somplace to be an hour ago. We were doing 90+ and only passed a handful of cars. It more than made up for the moribund parade laps back in hot 'Lanta.
Thatz about it for this trip. Still on the fence about 2019 in Branson, Mo. If you're considering it, get in touch; I could easily be talked into it. GT?
Talk atcha later.

Al

Attachments:
File comment: People's Choice show
atlanta6.jpg
atlanta6.jpg [ 199.87 KiB | Viewed 5721 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:01 pm 

Haha! That was funny and fun. Excellent recap, Al. :thumbs_up:
Those of us who couldn't make it down there appreciate both your description and your representation of our Club.

Considering all his victories at Road Atlanta and how close he lives now, I'm very surpriZed Bob Sharp didn't attend. But other things happened there over the years, too, so maybe the place is haunted for him.

Proud to hear your 47 year old car hauled both of you down there and back with so very few partz falling off. Well done, Li'l Red. Proud of the lovely Mrs Rene for getting you down there and back with so few parts falling off, too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:57 am 

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: I love the Z formation, I see your car in row 6 behind the convertible. And You Go Renee, your a born racer. :thumbs_up: Can't wait to see the dashboard in person......when's the show and tell more Party :!: