Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: My Z is ruined
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:21 pm 

No doubt that Jay's car was unique and a "survivor". Maybe there's a remote possibility that it can brought back to it's previous glory? I know it's wishful thinking but dreams can sometimes come true- right?
Good luck Jay. I hope thingZ work out for the better. :( :wink: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:52 pm 

Thanks again guyz.

I'm still waiting for the adjuster to complete his estimate, I'm hoping the delay is due to exhaustive research on the market value of my Z. We will see on that.

Howard, thank you again for thinking of me. I actually spotted that car the other day, I am really hoping to find a skinny bumper car like mine, and that car appears to have a good deal of mud in the body from what I can see. That can be redone of course but it's not really for me right now.

If I was going to go the big bumper car route, we have a very nice one listed in our classified section, priced well too actually.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:53 pm 

Some odd things about the 260:

We (USA) only received it for slightly longer than 1 year (late '73 to early '75). It was two distinct models; the early months of 1974 had the skinny "240" bumpers and the front side lamps were under the bumper, like the 240. That early car had the flat-top SUs on it, unless you ordered the triple Weber carbs from the dealer. We got about 4,000 of those early cars. The 260 engine was a stroked 240 engine; the result was a nearly-square design which would rev higher than the old 240 (or than the later 280).

About mid-year '74 the 260 underwent some safety and emission upgrades which gave it the bigger "park bench" bumpers (extending the body 6" and a lot of pounds) and the side lamps got moved into the grille. It got some stiffer body reinforcement braces which made it ride more like a GT car than a sportscar, and added about 200lbs. The carbs eventually gave way to the upcoming fuel injection unit, but as far as I can tell the FI was pretty rare in this country except on the very last 260s. The automatic transmission, air-conditioning and even the 2+2 backseat became options.

In 1975 we received the 280Z with the larger engine and fuel injection. The 280 had a bored-out 260 engine (so it was essentially a bored and stroked 240 engine). But the rest of the world kept the 260 for many more production years. Some countries didn't get the 280 for years (Australia is a good example) so, while we only got the 260 in limited numbers, tens of thousands of them are available in other countries. They don't meet USA standards (many RHD models) but can be modified to work here if you find one you like well enough to import it. Spare parts are really very plentiful, in spite of it being a one-year-wonder here in the States.

So if you would't mind changing the dashboard, steering column (steering rack) the rear tail light and external side lamp lenses, brake and clutch cylinders and swapping the seats around, you *might* find a really nice 260 overseas someplace. The US model is rare, but the foreign models not so much. The US dollar goes farther in foreign countries, too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:06 am 

That's an interesting thought Frank. I hadn't considered that, I'll keep that in mind however.

I've seen a couple of rough early 260s from the south and mid West recently. Nothing that I felt would be worth the trouble of building just yet, also need the claim settled first.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:14 pm 

And of course you'll be very cautious of where your next 260 comes from. You don't want to buy a Katrina car or a Florence car.

Some years ago one of our members in Eastern NY state (somewhere around the Albany area) wrote to tell us his 240 had been destroyed in a flood. The water had risen overnight to the level of the door tops. All he could see was the window glass and the hood. There's little you can do about a Z sunk even in fresh rainwater, but hurricanes often bring ocean saltwater into the streets and there's NOTHING that can save an S-30 Z car dipped in salt water.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:06 pm 

Frank T wrote:
And of course you'll be very cautious of where your next 260 comes from. You don't want to buy a Katrina car or a Florence car.

Some years ago one of our members in Eastern NY state (somewhere around the Albany area) wrote to tell us his 240 had been destroyed in a flood. The water had risen overnight to the level of the door tops. All he could see was the window glass and the hood. There's little you can do about a Z sunk even in fresh rainwater, but hurricanes often bring ocean saltwater into the streets and there's NOTHING that can save an S-30 Z car dipped in salt water.

That happened to a a zany member upstate. Jeff Fox, but that happened to his Z32. Had water up to the dome light. He actually eventually dried out the car completely and the last i knew he was still driving it. A street flooded in the city of Albany.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:59 pm 

You're right Tom, it was Foxy! I had forgotten who it was but remember that he shared the sad news with us. I had thought at the time it was a 240; I'm somehow evilly relieved that it wasn't. Somehow I don't mind losing a later Z car than an earlier one. (Sorry).

I had not heard that he ever got to use the car again; thats great news.

I drove thru Schenectady and Poughkeepsie today, but had no time to contact friends. It was raining like crazy there all day and it actually made me remember the Fox car disaster.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:30 pm 

I know what you mean on losing the old ones Frank, I think we may be probably a bit biased though. Don't like seeing any of them go to waste really.

No new news yet on mine. The estimate is written but I haven't been able to submit it to the insurance company as I don't have a claim number yet. I'm hoping that happens soon.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:36 pm 

I wish we had a 'crossed fingers' or 'praying hands' Smiley on this website.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:25 pm 

Me too. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 am 

Update on this, pleaZe?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:16 pm 

Was just wondering the same myself Frank. Curious to see the rear of the car myself. A new shell is needed for sure. Lots of early 260z cars popping up but not very clean.

1976 Fairlady Z

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:55 pm 

Hi Clive ~ great to hear from you again. Missed you at the picnic this year.

You really don't want to zee the back end of Jay's 260; it is smushed rather like a crumple zone. It must have been traveling pretty good by the time it hit that tree, and it hit on one corner so the impact was transferred laterally thru the body as well as longitudinally. I'd be surprised if any doors or hatches fit their frames anymore. Glovebox might have been spared. Anyway, the whole thing still makes me feel sick and if you'd seen the car in person this disaster would wake you up at night gasping for breath.
It's sad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:51 pm 

So after two months of haggling over the value of my Z we've (finally) reached a number that I can live with. Not necessarily happy about it mind you, but it's less insulting than the number we began with. To put it another way, if someone had approached me before the accident and offered it to me to purchase the vehicle the answer would have been no...... but it's in the appropriate ballpark now. And I still have my Z too, albeit with a salvage title. At least most of the parts are still good.

Clive, the car twisted more than can be seen in the photos, as Frank mentioned. Neither door fits now, and the hatch is ruined (obviously). The frame bent in multiple places, and in one spot is almost kinked. Picture a wrinkled piece of paper. She had to be really rolling when she hit the tree.

I'm just glad my kids weren't in the yard when it happened, and that no one got hurt.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:11 pm 

That's right, Jay ~ one more thing to be thankful for this year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next