Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:38 pm 

Frankie T, I know you must have the answer...
My 1970 240Z Owners Manual for #HLS002483 has some very odd cover ups going on. I don't know if these were hurried up changes done by the factory, seems they were making changes on the fly to the early cars so why not the manuals!
They pasted little cut out illustrations over early information.
I think it was probably the factory as the cover up replacement patches match the rest of the book.
The changes are:
Page 13 lower right illustration cover up.
Page 15 lower right two illustrations.
page 16 lower right illustration.
Page 44 the line under Tachometer covered.
Back cover: Issue date 15th January 1970
My build date is early 3/70
Anybody else have an early manual with these additions going on?
I also need to restore the staples, any ideas?
Colin
the elder one

Attachments:
OM 1970-1.jpg
OM 1970-1.jpg [ 790.16 KiB | Viewed 3381 times ]
OM1970-PAGE13.jpg
OM1970-PAGE13.jpg [ 907.21 KiB | Viewed 3381 times ]
OM1970 PAGE 15.jpg
OM1970 PAGE 15.jpg [ 839.21 KiB | Viewed 3381 times ]
OM1970 PAGE  16.jpg
OM1970 PAGE 16.jpg [ 752.8 KiB | Viewed 3381 times ]
OM1970 PAGE44.jpg
OM1970 PAGE44.jpg [ 762.56 KiB | Viewed 3381 times ]
OM1970 BACK COVER.jpg
OM1970 BACK COVER.jpg [ 773.18 KiB | Viewed 3381 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:01 pm 

Sorry, I tried to correct some wording and this printed twice.

Last edited by Frank T on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:02 pm 

My Apr/70 manual was not so modified, but I had two friends in the 1970s whose manuals were. They were updated at the dealer's, not from the factory. Carl Beck probably has more info on this than I have, but you are correct about so very many changes having been made in the early 240s that it was hard to keep up. The owner's manual was printed for the very early (Oct69) cars, which (during the first 500 cars) morphed into what we bought in 1970. Little changes, not major, but the info in the manual was no longer accurate.

Just like the American military, Datsun sent "updates" to all their dealers with instructions to cut and paste the existing manuals before selling the cars, and to offer older buyers the paste-in updates. It must have been cheaper than sending whole new manuals.

I must ASSUME (oh, oh) that they had caught up with all the changes by the time my car was built, and the later manuals (like mine) showed any newer changes, such as delayed windscreen wipers, headlight ziggers, the hidden storage boxes behind the seats, the adjustable seats, the different mirrors, the changed dashboard air deflector, whatever gauges they changed (oil pressure for one, speedo for another), the relocated cigarette lighter, the AM/FM radio, the A/T and A/C, etc, etc. The only "change" in my original 1970 owner's manual was a hand-written dealer note on the tuneup page to use NGK-BP6ES sparkies, rather than 5ES. My car preferred those and ran happier with that heat range. I don't know whether anyone else's car had the same change; BP5ES were the factory spec but my car just didn't like them. Parts guys always tried to tell me I was ordering the 'wrong' plug but I always used 6ES.

John T's car was sold before mine (same dealership) and maybe his manual is updated like yours. Check inside the cover and tell us what the print date is for yours, please? I remember Bryan Little scoured around until he found a very, very early 240z manual, which called the car the 240 Sports, rather than a "Z".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:40 am 

I never knew they did that with the early Z manuals. Very interesting. My '71 Z manual must have been updated as it has none of the pasties.

Colin, it is cool that you have the original documents 8)

It's amazing how sparse the old manuals were compared to those provided with newer cars! Ahh! much simpler times. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:53 pm 

Frank, Oh no... I had visions of beautiful Japanese girls in the Factory Art Department, cutting and pasting. They are all cut so perfectly I don't know if a dealer would have done such an exacting job.
Yes John, a total of 44 pages plus covers for a car that requires way more maintenance than a modern car...versus a good sized novel for My 2017 Mazda RX5.
Colin
the elder one

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:59 pm 

Well Colin, your fantasy might actually be correct, and they might have worn miniskirts and GoGo boots while they cut and assembled individual envelopes of updates for each owner's manual they thought a dealer might need. That count would *probably* (assumption) have been decided by how many Zs the dealer had already sold, plus an update envelope for each new Z the factory shipped them. When the owners brought their new Z back in for routine service, they would have been given an updated manual or have their old one updated.

I envision it like the Black Pearl 3M stripe kit which was installed at the dealer's, rather than at the factory. A stripe kit (wrapped in a bog flat envelope similar to a total gasket set) was probably tossed into each new BP sent to a dealer, where it was applied. An envelope containing neatly cut updates was probably included in each new Z manual, for the dealer to attach. Just my guess.

Rick's old manual doesn't mention a rear window defroster, and my manual doesn't mention an AM/FM radio, and neither of ours mention AC or AT. I'm sure if we compared manuals we would find differences in ours, too.