Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Barrett Jackson
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:08 am 

Did anyone see the auction last week? A 1972 240Z sold for 37,000 dollars! Keep waxing up those beauties to pay for your grand kids college fund... or your next Z.

Post subject: Re: Barrett Jackson
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:22 pm 

I didn't zee the auction itself but I did read an article about that car. It was a two-owner car, as totally original as any 1972 automobile has the right to claim, and had very very few miles on it. It had lived in a heated garage all its life and I can only assume the decades-long original owner didn't like it after he bought it and just stuck it away in the garage.

When I lived in Cheshire 30 yrs ago, there was an old ramshackle wooden farmhouse with a big barn just around the corner from my modern neighborhood. The farmland had long been sold off and new homes had been built all around this old place until it became a real anomaly in the middle of an upscale neighborhood on Peck Lane.

I used to walk or ride my bicycle past this home and from the road I could see some vehicles peeking thru the big barn doors. I was always curious for a barn find and when I finally saw an older woman sitting on the porch I stopped and introduced myself as her new around-the-corner neighbor.

She was the final member of her family and told me all the stories of having been born and raised right there on that big farm and of her daddy actually owning, farming and shooting pheasants on the land I was living on while she was a little girl. In fact, she remembered when my street (Sheridan Ave) was installed, etc.

Anyway, she lived alone now and was just trying to pay the utility bills with her social security, etc. I asked her if she might sell any of the old barn cars (I could see an old fat-fendered pickup truck in there, and there is always money in those). She let me poke around in the barn and I found 4 cars plus the truck, all pretty much beyond hope and not of much interest to me.

When I told her I couldn't do anything with those cars, she told me there was a "sportscar" I should see in the 2-car garage attached to the house. I went in and found a 1961 Corvette with fewer than 40,000 miles on it, buried under a ton of dirt and dust. Hardtop lay beside it on the deck. I got very excited and began negotiating with her but she cut me off and told me it wasn't for sale at any price. It had belonged to her son who was killed in an accident in the Army and none of her family would drive it after that. Our conversation was in 1986 and the car hadn't been started or moved for about 20 years. I continued to stop and say hello to this older woman whenever she was out while I passed by, but she never relented on her dead son's car.

I left Cheshire in 1989 but cruise thru that area occasionally. The old farmhouse and the barn across the street are new residential homes today. I have no idea what became of the old lady or her son's all-original two-top 1961 Corvette. Sometimes families just let automotive jewels sit unused for decades for very personal reasons.

Last edited by Frank T on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Barrett Jackson
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:08 pm 

Good story Frank. Hope more are out there.