Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:37 pm 

ZCARNUT wrote:
And I thought that I was anal!!!! :lol:

Not a big deal on the 280Z. Now if it was my 240Z, heads would roll! :wink:

Anal? Probably. But more of a "being respectful" thing for being a survivor. I don't think that one child should be treated any differently than another one of the kids. I'm sure a piece of cardboard could have been found to cover the original painted surface if it's to be used as a tool tray. :? Any high school graduate student should get the same humane treatment as the classes valedictorian because BOTH have survived twelve years of schooling. Don't you agree? :twisted: :P We should Love equally. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:30 pm 

I hate to admit it but I did the same bonehead move by leaving the radiator cap on the side of the radiator when starting up an old Mini. Same result, and it was on my shop teachers car! :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:37 pm 

"Young and stupid" go hand in hand, and generally expected/accepted. Shouldn't years of life and experience made us less susceptible to this malady? Oh well. Live and learn. Or maybe not. :mrgreen: :lol: :roll: :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:44 am 

Update:

Master Z mechanic Kurt Thiel has finished resuscitating the Z and she runs like new. Ended up replacing four of the six intake valves with the head rebuild. It seems that when gasoline sits for over 25 years, it becomes the consistency of Elmers Glue combined with varnish. Apparently valve guides don't like it when lubricated with that mixture. :wink: The entire fuel system was pressure flushed and cleaned.

Every hose and belt on the car has been replaced, every brake component as well. The radiator was refurbished and all new fluids. It really was exciting to hear that car purr again. :)

You see the car as it was found, other than for a quick wash. It now heads back to my garage where I will do my detail magic on it. My 280ZX turbo wheels are at the powder coater being refinished and new tires are on the way. When Spring finally decides to appear (probably at least May in this part of the world), she should be ready for the road. My wife is excited to get behind the wheel! This is going to make a great touring Z.

Stay tuned.... :)

Attachments:
Z1.jpg
Z1.jpg [ 245.38 KiB | Viewed 5053 times ]
Z2.jpg
Z2.jpg [ 360.34 KiB | Viewed 5053 times ]
Z3.jpg
Z3.jpg [ 286.4 KiB | Viewed 5053 times ]
Z4.jpg
Z4.jpg [ 312.69 KiB | Viewed 5053 times ]

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:00 am 

Mannnn, that thing looks better and better with each picture you send. Glad to hear about rebuilding the feet first. You obviously know your priorities well. Rebuild from the bottom, up.

I think your wife and the g-kids are going to love this car and love the attention they all get when they *arrive* at club functions in it.

Racking my tiny brain, trying to picture how anyone might have got so much oil spilled up under the trailing edge of the hood? If it was a bad rear seal the oil would have been splashed everywhere and the underside wouldn't look as good as yours does. if it was a burst hose on the firewall it would be sprayed everywhere too, and there are no oil galleries along the firewall in the first place. What's your guess?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:54 am 

Frank T wrote:

Racking my tiny brain, trying to picture how anyone might have got so much oil spilled up under the trailing edge of the hood? If it was a bad rear seal the oil would have been splashed everywhere and the underside wouldn't look as good as yours does. if it was a burst hose on the firewall it would be sprayed everywhere too, and there are no oil galleries along the firewall in the first place. What's your guess?

No guesswork needed Frank. It's the original undercoating overspray, circa 1978. you can also see it at the leading edges of the fenders. The aluminum bits in the engine bay also have the factory sprayed sealant (that goldish tinge) on them. Just the way it left the factory!!

And I'm gonna leave it that way. :wink:

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:10 am 

John,
I'm thinking that the undercoating was a dealer supplied option, not the factory.
Your car is coming along great.
Man, I can't believe how many vacuum lines and servos were on the 280Z's. It will make detailing that engine a bit more challenging I bet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:39 am 

johnnyZ wrote:
John,
I'm thinking that the undercoating was a dealer supplied option, not the factory.
Your car is coming along great.
Man, I can't believe how many vacuum lines and servos were on the 280Z's. It will make detailing that engine a bit more challenging I bet.

Yes, John, that's what I meant. The black "tar like" undercoating was dealer applied. The gold varnish like substance that you see on the engine metal bits and inner fenders is the preservative spray added by the factory, common back in the day.

So far, the only thing I can see that does not work on the car is the electric antenna. The motor works but the shaft does not go up. Not too bad a fix. Event the clock works! :shock:

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:50 am 

It's a beauty John. If you wish to clean off some of the "tar" from the fender ledges, to crisp up the appearance and leave the rest "original", I've had great success using good old kerosene on a 8"x8" piece of rag(in one hand) and a dry rag in the other to wipe it off. It sometimes takes several applications of a wet kerosene rag to get through the older/thicker undercoating sprays. It's VERY labor intensive, but it's safe to use on the paint and rubber/plastic pieces in the engine bay. I wound up doing this to my entire engine and engine bay. Armor All or Tire Black (on a rag/not sprayed) completes the detailing of the rubber bits, hoses and plastic thingys in the engine compartment after you've removed the overspray. Keep taking pictures of your wife's new car. I'm sure she's gonna love it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:28 pm 

She's back from Kurt Thiel's shop and running like a 280Z should. Even sounds right!

Next up, into my garage for a cosmetic once over (dyeing the carpets, cleaning the vinyl, etc), new electric antenna and new tires on newly powdercoated 280ZX turbo rims.

It feels GREAT to get another Z back on the road! :D

Stay tuned....

Attachments:
ZA1.jpg
ZA1.jpg [ 138.37 KiB | Viewed 5010 times ]
ZA2.jpg
ZA2.jpg [ 117.83 KiB | Viewed 5010 times ]

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:34 pm 

What siZe spare does it have? Were they all space-savers by that time?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:11 am 

Frank T wrote:
What siZe spare does it have? Were they all space-savers by that time?

Yes, the space-saver spare. No doubt no good, as well as the air canister, after 40 years! :shock:

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:03 pm 

Here's a thought John. If you're going to dispoZe of the spare and canister anyway, why not try them to see if it/they still work(s) and if the rubber is in fact dry rotted. JUST CURIOUS. Aren't you? :shock: :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

Would a junk yard universal pattern donut (unglazed) fit the bolt pattern you have? Would it even fit in the wheel well? :idea: :?:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:04 pm 

Good questions Howard!

I do know that unused air canisters bring good money on eBay, maybe it'll end up there! :D Seriously, if I was ever so inclined to take the car on a loooooong road trip, I'd probably give up some hatch space for a full sized spare. Being a 2+2 there is a little more to space! I have a wheel or ten laying around. :wink:

Below is a pic of the 82/83 ZX turbo wheel that is going to go on the car. I am media blasting them this week to prepare for powder coating. The one with the green tape has been blasted, the tape marks spots for attention for round two. They will be coated a chrome silver color with the indents in black. I've obtained some center caps for these wheels which were chrome plated plastic (which tends to peel after 30 years or so) and I will paint them black as well.

She's running well, I will try to figure out how to post a short video.

Stay tuned...

Attachments:
WHEELS.jpg
WHEELS.jpg [ 311.58 KiB | Viewed 4998 times ]

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:12 pm 

Then by all means just keep them in their original factory location so that it remains an original survivor with the original equipment. Your wife probably wouldn't even contemplate changing a tire (mine surely wouldn't) because we're only a cellphone call away. And if we're driving we might just call for a flatbed if the spare tires age might be an issue. :? :shock: :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next