Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:11 pm 

Hi all,

So a friend of mine is considering buying a 1990 300ZXTT. He just drove the car tonight and said it is an unbelievable car to drive, wicked fast and in great shape. It's a second owner, 75k, well maintained vehicle but he is concerned with the cost of ownership so to speak.

Any opinions/experience it there with these? It has recently received a tune up and timing belt. Also has all of it's service records.

How long can the car original turbos be expected to last before they need replacing?

The car's issues are;

Power steering leaks from somewhere
Valve covers leak
Radio and climate control don't work

What are the common issues/things to know with these cars?

Thanks,
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:02 am 

Hi Jay - I'm no expert, but I'll chime in with my experience. One of the most important items to check up on is the fuel injectors. The earlier 300zx's of this generation had fuel injectors which would inevitably fail as a function of time; not mileage. For example, when I bought my TT with 36k miles 2 years ago, one of the injectors had just been changed. About a month later, another injector died. I had it replaced at a local shop to the tune of about $600 (!). Then I put it into winter storage, only to find another dead injector the following Spring. At this point I called Nissan, and they strongly suggested that I change them all out and forget about it. They directed me to this site, where I purchased the entire kit:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/fuel-syst ... -4558.html

When all was said and done it was a fairly costly experience, but I now have the comfort of knowing that my injector issues are a thing of the past. And after 2 years of ownership, I can finally drive my car! :?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 am 

Our member Taylor Strack (Tenacious Z) has rebuilt his 1990 300zxtt over the years and has lots of experience to share about it. Our member Rich A from RDZ in New Milford is the state's premier 300zxtt wrench. Give him a call with any questions @ 203.628.772five. See RDZ's advertiZement on our Home Page Club Sponsors column.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:55 pm 

Awesome Frank, thank you! I didn't know you had one of these too!

I am passing all of this information along right now, thank you again. I knew about RDZ, I've been on their website but it sounded like they cater more to the 350-370z models.

Good to know!

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 pm 

Well, it's not all that rosy Jay. Rich knows more about these cars than anyone else in the state, but he's recently announced he doesn't want to work on them any more :D . The complexity of the car is often overlooked by owners who simply want to fix a single issue for the lowest price, which results in something else going wrong. He still gives advice, but I fear Rich has saved his last 300zxtt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:45 pm 

The information has been forwarded along with Rich's information and number. Thanks a bunch Frank!

Ha, just realized you replied. Well at least Rich can advise on them. I think he's on the fence due c to the cost of maintenance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 pm 

They are incredible carZ, simply spaceships, even today. They are the fastest vehicles Nissan/Datsun ever produced for the street until the GTR, but they are very complex. The rear wheels actually steer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:14 pm 

That's what he said, 4 wheel steering.

He also said the car was ridiculously fast. This one has a Jim Wolf Technology stage 3 turbo upgrade on it, rated for around 400hp according to the owner. He had all of his receipts and maintenance records and my friend said none were less than $1000, not even the tune up ones. That's what concerned him.