Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Scam reply to my ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:00 pm 

Attachment:
Scam text message.doc [21 KiB]
Downloaded 277 times
As some of you know I am running an ad for my 280 here, on Craigs list and in the Auto Trader site.
I received a text this weekend which I think you might find interesting. All correspondence was done via text.

What was initially strange to me was the insistance of the potential buyer to use Paypal and his continued requests for my Paypal email address.

Best, Z-Guy

Post subject: Re: Scam reply to my ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:44 pm 

I can assure you with 100% confidence "Jack Palmer" is not (not) a Marine officer. This writer struggles with English and fails even to capitalize the name Marine, a sacrilege which not even an ESL Marine would commit. Marine officers spend their entire careers communicating in the written word, and you can tell this man does not. Commissioned Marine Corps officers are college graduates and would be ashamed of such poor sentence structure. Finally, Marines don't go on "contracts".
This man is an impostor. What can he do to you by having your PayPal account information?

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:53 am 

My best guess is that once they have the email info you are then sucked in to accepting the offer and they can proceed to getting the merchandise [the car]. After they get it they can say it is not as advertised and complain to Pay pal. Pay pal then gives the money back and tells them to send the car back which they don't do. They end up with the money and the car.

Just a guess on my part. If you Google "pay pal scams" there is more info.

Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:48 pm 

Thanks. I've never used PayPal so I don't know how it works. The world is full of phonies and fraudsters tho, I know. If there's anyway to trick someone out of a dollar, someone will try it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm 

I have sold some items on E-bay and used Pay pal with no problem. Occasionally though I have read of complaints. A small percentage of the population is composed of bad people and they ruin it for everyone.

The buyer contacted me again yesterday and asked if the car was still for sale. I told him I wanted to deal in cash. I have had no further response.

Guy