Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Z upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 pm 

Gee, Carl reminded me of the front chin spoiler. Absolutely the best single thing I did to my Z, even better than the poly bushings. Adds about 100lbs of down-force to the front wheels at speed, letting you actually STEER the car instead of "wishing" it someplace else.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:26 am 

jp260z wrote:
That sounds like a nice setup Carl. Did the front swaybar make a noticeable difference in handling for you? Any plans to swap the rear one out for a larger one as well?

Jay

Hi Jay:
The larger front bar - just reduces the body roll in corners. Stock the 240Z has quite a bit.

Adding the rear bar to the larger front - which I did on my Blue 72 - makes the car more neutral handling. Less oversteer… but.. it also give less waring before breaking loose. OK for track duty, if you have a lot of seat time and you are paying close attention. Not so good on some Auto-X courses where you want hang the tail out a little. It also transmits more harshness into the car..
FWIW,
Carl B.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:18 pm 

Ahhh, I'll remember that then. I had the swaybar upgrade on my list for future upgrades, now I'm thinking it will only be the front one.

And with Frank's concurrence, it sounds like the BRE spook is going on there as well!

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:25 pm 

Mine have brake vents on either side, which make sense to me. The discs depend on airflow to cool them down, and the original Bob Sharp chin spoiler didn't have them. A rare case of Brock making something better than Sharp.
And one of them made the shock tower cross braces, too, but I don't know which one did it. Those stiffen up the body and prevent a lot of twist and squirm. Less than $100.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:38 pm 

HI Frank:
Actually - the BRE BAJA Z - is the first Z to have a cross brace that I have found so far - circa 1972. I believe that was actually a carry over from the Shelby 350-R Mustangs - - which used the Ford Export Brace. It was put on Mustangs that were to be shipped over-seas - to reduce body flex as they were hoisted onto ships. (of course Brock and some of his guys were involved in that project before he opened BRE). A lot of bits/pieces on the BRE Z that are carry overs from the Shelby Days...
FWIW,
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:32 pm 

O yeah?!! Well what would YOU know about the old Baja BRE cars anyway, Carl? 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:39 pm 

The brake vents make sense to me also, although I like the look of them either way.

The strut braces are a good idea, I've often wondered how noticeable that stiffens things.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:21 pm 

My early '70 car twisted quite a bit under hard cornering and it changed the steering geometry. That was one of the problems BSR had with the first car when they tried to race it; everything in the steering needed improvement. After installing my front (only) shock tower brace, I can understeer around a corner with both tires howling but the car stays almost perfectly flat and the steering always makes me feel like I'm in control.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:00 pm 

Sounds like another item for a future upgrade to me. This is turning into an expensive conversation for me. :lol:

Also just received another package for my Z today...I do love getting speed parts delivered, reminds me of the feeling I used to get as a kid anticipating the gifts Santa would bring!

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm 

Hi Frank/everone:
Per the above mention of the Shelby DNA carried over to the BRE Z's/510's.. (don't know where the Shelby DNA started - but most likely just California Hot Rodding in the 50's and early 60's)

Attachment:
ToggleSwitches.jpg
ToggleSwitches.jpg [ 76.61 KiB | Viewed 4907 times ]

Above: Left: The Switch Panel in the original Daytona Cobra Coupe.
Right - the Switch Panel in the BRE Baja Z.

There are two types of switches used here. One type are Toggle Switches, the other are Circuit Breakers. Both are WW-II Aircraft Type. (most likely military surplus at the time). The levers on both have little balls on the tips - they were coated with radium, so they would glow in the dark when exposed to black light. This was so the aircraft pilot or crew did not have to turn lights on in the aircraft at night - too easy for ground guns to find them..

On the BRE Z - the three switches with Red indicator lights above - are single pole, double throw circuit breakers. So you can run two individual circuits off them - primary and backup. They power the three Cibie Super Oscars on the front of the Z. The one below the Greed indicator is the same - for the fuel pumps. Below the Orange indicator lights are toggle switches for the Roof mounted Spot light and interior lighting.

Oh..yes.. the indicator lights are also WW-II Aircraft panel lights.

A little history trivia...
FWIW,
Carl B.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:52 pm 

Carl, you either missed my sarcasm above or declined to brag about owning the actual Baja Rallye car, which?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:02 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Carl, you either missed my sarcasm above or declined to brag about owning the actual Baja Rallye car, which?

I appreciated the sarcasm - but declined to brag. I've done so much bragging about it in the past - I thought most of the people here knew I owned, restored and show it at every opportunity.. LOL
FWIW,
Carl B.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:10 pm 

More Shelby DNA to BRE:
The brace that runs from the shock tower to the firewall - is the Ford Mustang Export Brace, to which Shelby added the direct shock tower brace - - for the GT 350-R Mustangs.
Attachment:
ShelbyGT350REngine.jpg
ShelbyGT350REngine.jpg [ 154.4 KiB | Viewed 4905 times ]

The BRE Baja Z Strut Tower Brace - note how the valve cover was cut/rewelded - so the brace would remain straight without flex.

Attachment:
ShockTowerBrace.jpg
ShockTowerBrace.jpg [ 239.96 KiB | Viewed 4905 times ]

FWIW:
Carl B.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:21 pm 

Back to the original Questions - Additions worth making..

I should have put - upgrading the stock headlight system - with a Relay powering the headlights. Stock, full power is ran through the headlight switch to the headlights. This causes a lot of resistance to build up over time - melting fuse boxes and wearing out the switch itself. Changing over to a headlight system that uses relays - to power the headlights - - means only low voltages are running through the fuse box and switch. This can save any 240Z owner a lot of trouble..

I'm pretty sure Dave Irwin is still providing these - plus some other electrical system upgrades that are well worth implementing on any 240Z. You can send him a PM on Facebook - - - https://www.facebook.com/dave.irwin.353

FWIW,
Carl B.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:30 pm 

Thanks Carl, post more pics of your Z! :shock: