Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:24 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:17 pm 

That looks like a fun shop to hang around in!

It's fun to put them together with help too, things seem to go smoother that way.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:14 am 

Thanks Jay, that is my "Z" garage. I'm fortunate to have a 3 car garage AND a 1.5 car garage split by a common wall. I have a place for everything Z and my wife has garage space for her car. Win, win. Z garage has HEAT (required in this part of the world) and an oil change pit (mostly used for storage, but nice to have when you need it). It's a great place to hang out (which I do all of the time) and for the boyZ to come over for a cold one.

Orange Peel Update:
In case you haven't heard, western NY was hit with a windstorm of historical proportions last Wednesday, winds in excess of 80mph. It took down tons of huge trees, power lines and utility poles. I lost a huge limb off of a very old maple tree in my front yard, but it missed the house thank god. I was without power (and heat) for 4 days, but the hundreds of utility workers from around the country did an unbelievable job getting things going again. So the Z garage was cold and dark, I was unable to work on Orange Peel at all. Work resumes this week on buttoning up things such as fuel lines, vacuum lines, shifter, clutch hydraulics, drive shaft, bleeding systems, radiator and cooling. Hopefully we'll be able to fire her up in a week or so.

Stay tuned.....

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:57 am 

Glad you and your museum made it thru OK John. I hadn't thought that storm had hit you; pictured it far south of you in the northern finger lakes (the usual tree-breaking high wind region). We had a crazy storm here a few years ago; everything iced-over in driving rain, then high winds blew trees thru the air everywhere, taking down power lines all over CT. Then it snowed so deep you couldn't reach your garage to examine the damage. Municipal snowplow drivers were getting stuck ( :shock: ) and spending the night in their plows, waiting for the National Guard. Some of our members got actual tree limbs punched thru their garages into their Z-nests. Rick's Z collection took a beating that day, but #13 was safe in the custom trailer. I never thought about it until now, but if it had remained where it was before we "discovered" it, the lowest-VIN 240Z in the USA would have been crushed and no one would have been able to even wade out and save it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 am 

Sorry to hear about your storm experience. Very glad that you didn't have any damage to the house, garages or personal body parts. I am, however, very surpriZed that YOU don't have an emergency generator. :shock: :o :roll: :?: After the discomfort of not having any electrical power (twice - for 2 or more days) I purchased a 5kw portable generator and a 25 foot 10 gauge 240v cord (back fed it through 240v garage outlet after I shut the house Main). Have pissed off neighbors at least six times over the past years when they saw that I had lights (and heat) when the power went out (Irene and Sandy). It's been the next best investment I made after the snowblower (and Z). :thumbs_up: :mrgreen:

I look forward to seeing more pictures and progress reports on your orange beauty. It looks fantaZtic.

Howard J

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:06 pm 

Frank, batten down the hatches, the forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday is for a HUGE blizzard with the northeast right in the cross hairs. Winters last kick in the butt I guess. Our forecasters are saying there is a "potential" for 9-17 inches of snow by Thursday morning. Still have the snowmobiles ready to go, just in case. :wink:

Howard, have you been talking to my wife???? She is on the home generator kick after spending 4 days without "normal" heat and electricity. My fireplace kept the living room in the 60s until yesterday morning when the outside temp dipped to 8 degrees, then it was a challenge to stay warm. I had a portable generator running the fridge, microwave and satellite TV. Power came back on after 77 hours without.

A home generator or another Z? Decisions, decisions.... :wink:

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:09 pm 

No. No corroboration with the Mrs.. Just thinking of the saying: Happy wife.... happy life. :wink: :mrgreen:

Good luck with the up and coming weather. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:03 pm 

Update 3-17-17 (HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY!):

The storms are over, power restored, still LOTS of snow on the ground, but the sun is shining and Spring springs forth on Monday. Buttoning up the tons of little bits on Project Orange Peel such as coolant hoses, radiator, thermostat, fuel hoses, fluids, cap & rotor, spark plugs, etc, etc. Next up driveshaft, shifter, choke cables, battery and ignition wires. Then it's time to bring her back to life. The car was running an "Allison" optical type electronic ignition, I'm hoping that it still works. If not, I'll install Pertronix.

Getting there!

Attachments:
20170317_130636-COLLAGE.jpg
20170317_130636-COLLAGE.jpg [ 259.46 KiB | Viewed 4297 times ]

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:46 pm 

:D :) 8) :thumbs_up: Neat. It's coming out beautifully. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:10 pm 

Happy Spring Everyone! :D

Orange Peel Update: I've spent the last week or so doing all of the "little things", and there are a million of them. You don't realize it until you really think about it, but there are literally thousands of components that make an automobile go, even one as simple as a 240Z. The engine compartment is almost done, just have to get the ignition and battery properly connected. The new Taylor wires (orange of course) and the aluminum radiator make the engine really POP. The hood is in the shop being painted "Hot Rod Black" which will really make the car's main color really stand out. I also thought it was a nice homage to the historic Datsun rally cars. I've targeted the first week of April to have it running, stay tuned!

Attachments:
3-17-17 new wires.jpg
3-17-17 new wires.jpg [ 149.42 KiB | Viewed 4291 times ]
3-20-17 front.jpg
3-20-17 front.jpg [ 244.85 KiB | Viewed 4291 times ]

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:21 pm 

Nice work John!

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 pm 

Might I recommend, while you have the whole front apart, covering both ventilator holes with screen to keep mice out? I know, I know ~ if they want "in" they'll find a way, but leaving those two vents (either side of the radiator) uncovered is like offering them a highway to your car's interior.

I once helped Irv Rich start one of his Zs which had been stored all winter and not run. It fired up fairly easily and then made horrible noises and quit. Investigation revealed a mouse nest [and maybe mice, themselves], sucked into two cylinders. They had nested inside the air cleaner. Got in thru uncovered air vents.

[How much you want for that bumper? :twisted: ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:00 pm 

:idea: Definitely a good idea to put a screen in/across the vent ports to discourage the building of rodent B&B's. Or maybe some round (chromed/ black or orange) speaker grills, house soffit vents, blacked out metal/coffee can (placed inside the vent pipes) that's been drilled out with 1/4" holes ???? Mini K&N air filter cones placed into the vent holes? Or would that look too much like Madonna's bra? :? :shock: :lol: :lol: lol. I'm sure you'll figure it out John. It's coming out beautifully. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:39 am 

The vent holes in the radiator support are for the "fresh air" elbows that route air from in front of the radiator into the fender wells and eventually the dash vents. It was Datsun's "flow through ventilation" system that got such rave reviews back in the day. It was in that time period when manufacturers were phasing out vent windows.

While I suppose a mouse could find his way in there, I have never seen them make it all the way into the cabin. And as far as the air box, I have found mouse skeletons in there and in the carb venturis, but never beyond that. Unless the spark plugs are left out, guests couldn't get into the cylinders.

Once the car is sorted out mechanically, I'll tend to cosmetic issues such as the vents, new seats, console, door panels, etc.

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:13 am 

Irv's car was a fuel injected Zx and they most certainly did get sucked inside. Their nest was in the air box ahead of the radiator and the car started and ran well for a moment until they got sucked all the way up the intake and into the plenum when I opened the throttle. My bad for not opening the air box before starting the car.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:33 pm 

If only I lived a little closer I'd be turning wrenches with you guys! What a great car. Brings me back to all the work I did on my '71 back in 2001/2002.

Hey John, a couple of questions not to do with mice :lol: . I noticed that you by-passed the coolant line going to the carbs. Any reason for that? Any effect that may have on engine warm-up or operation? Just curious.

Also, did you guys move the car's engine bay data plate to the firewall? My data plate is located on the passenger side inner fender. :?

Hopefully I'll get to see the car in July during your summer get together.

Regards,

Attachments:
File comment: Car ID plate
ID plate.JPG
ID plate.JPG [ 385.08 KiB | Viewed 4263 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next