Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:39 am 

Hello Everyone:
Mr. Shigeru Nagata (retired Nissan employee) wanted to provide a little more information related to Nissan’s use of full size clay models, in the Design Development Department starting in 1961. Mr. Nagata was assigned to assist Mr. Goertz as a translator, during Mr. Goertz time at Nissan. He was also responsible for the Design Development Departments implementation of the US FMVSS related to Interior Design.

Mr. Nagata wrote a 9 page article, in English that he wanted to share with the American Z Car Enthusiasts. Toward that end I have added it to the Z Car Home Page, along with more introductory information about Mr. Nagata. I think everyone will find it very interesting.
See: http://zhome.com/History/ShigeruNagata/SNagata.htm

FWIW,
Carl B.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:14 am 

OK - getting back to this. Did anyone read the article?
It seems that Mr. Nagata was the person that served as Nissan's Translator for Mr. Goertz in 1963/64. I think many of us have read in several different books - that Mr. Goertz taught Nissan's Styling Studio how to build and use 3D Clay Models. That story leaves us with the impression that Mr. Goertz was singularly responsible for bringing that skill or technology to Nissan.

Mr. Nagata tells us that wasn't the case at all. Mr. Goertz worked only with the people in the Sports Car Styling Studio. While 3D Clay Models were already being used in the Development Model Build section. Farther that section had hired another American, and they were getting their Modeling Clay from an American Company before Mr Goertz arrived.

Inside Trivia - but I think its interesting.
FWIW,
Carl B.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:40 am 

Wow. For some reason I'm zeeing this for the first time so I will have to read his article as soon as I get enough uninterrupted time. Some of the neighborhood girls are dancing naked in my living room right now so it's hard to concentrate.

Do I seem to recall Ross saying something about this years ago? During the ZCon at Nashua NH Ross' son Graham snapped a picture of his daddy sitting on a secluded bench outside the hotel with Matsua-San. The two of them (three, including Graham) had wandered away from the noise and confusion to escape into a bit of solitude and all arrived at this quiet bench from different directions. Mssrs Wiliams and Matsua discussed old Z history and the subject of clay models came up. Ross asked where the original clays of the Z were today, and sadly learned they had been destroyed, no doubt to form some other car(s).

Sorry Carl, I'd write more but the girls want me to dance with them. Later.
Frank