Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:32 pm 

I just saw this unique car on ebay. It doesn't look like any Z I've seen before. Description of this beautiful looking two seater convertible says it was done by a Charles Tolbert of "The House of Z" in Sherman Oaks, CA. and it only has 27,555 miles. He"s asking under $10,000. Is he well known in the Z community?
It sounds reasonable.
Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111880831414?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:31 pm 

Ever since the Z came out there have been modifying body kits for it as well as companies who simply pulled the old Z apart and replaced fenders, panels, interior etc with look-alikes of other cars. Remember the old Ferrari GTO 240-Z and Austin Healey 240-Z body kits? And the Scarab was just the reverse; they kept the body and replaced the driveline with a 300hp Chevy V8; the first professional company to do so.

This car has modified a 280Z in the same fashion, by cutting off the top and building a rear panel for it. I see it has a dash cap, custom gauges (which makes me skeptical about that mileage) and a more posh interior than the standard 280 had, but I'm not at all impressed by the "corvette" rear lamps, by the lack of a trunk, or by the ill-fitting convertible top. It looks as if you could put your hand btwn the top and the body along the back of it. And those pedals show a lot more than 30,000 miles of wear on them. Not sure why the guy doesn't spend $15 and put new pedal rubber on those, or for that matter buy two $15 door handle escutcheons and make the car look 'finished'. He also dodges customers' questions; the guy specifically asked if the "convertible top motors" worked and obviously there aren't any. This is manually raised/lowered Like the old Healey tops were, which means it has stopped raining by the time you pulled it out of the storage bay behind the seats and erected it.

And the engine needs some dressing up for that price. I like John Durand's V8 convertible much better than this and I'll bet he didn't spend that much building his.

BUT, this is still a Z and would be welcome at any of our events and for $10,000 it might be fun for awhile. :wink: :thumbs_up:

Frank

Last edited by Frank T on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:46 pm 

Frank... you have a very keen eye. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:27 pm 

:lol: Haha! I've just been burned enough times to recogniZe fire when I Zee it! :lol: