Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 1985 Keyless locking????
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:05 pm 

I just purchased the original 1985 300ZX brochure that the dealers had in their showroom that shows the different models and the standard and optional equipment list. I'm confused by what was listed as "standard" on all models. KEYLESS LOCKING feature. Does anyone know what they are/were referring to, since they didn't have key fobs back then?? Thanks for your insight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:36 am 

It's a common feature on all cars today, but in the '80s it was considered hotstuff.
pressing a button on the driver's door automatically locked (or unlocked) both doors.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:56 am 

Hi Frank,
There's only one problem with your 100% spot on response... the car does NOT have a touch pad on the drivers door. The dealer says it must have been an option but the 1985 brochure states that "keyless door locking" (not unlocking) is "standard". Maybe they were talking about the fact that you can lock both doors with the door lever on the drivers door?

Quite honestly... it doesn't make a difference. The car rides, performs and looks like it just came out of the showroom.

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:52 pm 

The 300ZXs were spaceships of their day, with bells and whistles few other cars had. In the Z community, they are lightyears ahead of the old series cars. You're a lucky boy.

Q: Does yours have a digital dash, or a standard one? And does "Betty" tell you when you do things wrong?

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:26 pm 

Yeah. All the bells and whistles. It has the 5 speed manual transmission, digital dash, 8 way leather seats with pneumatic bolsters, AM/FM/cassette with graphic equalizer, automatic "climate control", "Bitch'n Betty" telling me when I screwZ up, Tonneau cover/ cargo cover, and heated mirrors. Who would need heated mirrors??? Would someone actually take it out in snow/winter? Lol.

I'm just as happy as I was when I finished paying off my daughters college and then her wedding. Maybe more.

It's a dream to drive and I'm proud to own it. I can't wait for it to be warm enough to remove the T-tops again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:18 pm 

How in the world can it have both T tops AND a tonneau cover??? :shock:
I can't even picture that.
How about sharing a few photos with us in the NEW MEMBER INTRO forum? Tell us about how you found the car and show us your baby while it's snugged in hibernation?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:26 pm 

Sorry Frank. I saw this cover listed on some of the Z parts websites. The "cargo cover" or "privacy cover" as it used to be called was listed as a "Tonneau cover " so I thought that it was the correct term to use. I'm aware that tonneau covers are used for truck beds. Just trying to be accurate. I guess I was wrong. :(

I already introduced myself and included pictures (from Long Island,New York) in the new member section. There are also pictures that I uploaded in the Member Rides area.

Check them out.

UPDATE: 1985 Owners Manual calls it Tonneau Cover. I guess I was wrong to say that I was wrong
A double negative no doubt! :shock: :lol:

Last edited by HowardJ on Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:35 pm 

Thnx for the explanation; a few Zs actually did have Landau covers on the rear halves of their roofs, which were often mistakenly called "tonneau covers" by us street kids. The actual factory-designated "tonneau cover" for a 240Z was a funky screen-thing in the cargo deck which sort of half-lifted when the rear hatch was opened.
My MGB had a real tonneau cover and I thought it was the greatest part of the car until it was stolen.
I apologiZe for falsely accusing you! I'll go search for you in both Members Rides and New Guys Arrivals! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:49 pm 

OH, MAN!! You finally did figure out how to post pictures and is your ZX a beauty!
Holy cow, Howard, that's a factory-new car! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:41 pm 

The 1985 Owners Manual explains it all. As a safety issue...if you lock the doors with the interior locking device and then get out of the car and close the door the doors will actually UNLOCK so you don't lock your keys inside. To lock the car and activate the security system you have to use the key to lock the doors OR ( here's the answer ) use the interior door lock to lock the doors as you exit the car and then close the door WHILE PULLING UP ON THE DOOR HANDLE as you close the door. You have now performed "Keyless Locking."

The same manual confirms that the 300ZX's cargo covers correct name is TONNEAU COVER.

Even my local Nissan dealer said that it was probably a touch pad on the drivers door. REALLY? It's not even an option. Dealers are such a great source of knowledge. :thumbs_down:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:47 pm 

:lol: Haha!
This would make a great Z-Trivia QuiZ question!

My wife could have made great use of that safety feature on our previous car. I can't count the numbers of times I had to stop what I was doing and go 'rescue' her because she had locked the keys in the ignition (often running). It got to the point that I would just cruise thru the parkinglot-du-jour and press the spare key fob as I passed the idling locked car, without even stopping. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:15 am 

:lol: Funny stuff. Been there. Done that.

Oohrah!