Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:09 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:55 am 

Bob Sharp will be present at this upcoming screening of the movie Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman.

It is tomorrow evening - sorry for the late notice but I just received this from Bob.

I've seen this movie when it first was screened in Millerton, NY. I highly recommend seeing it.

Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman; Special Movie Screening in
Norwalk this week!
Wednesday, October 28th at 6:30PM with
special guest Bob Sharp with a Q&A session.

Location will be the Stepping Stones Museum Multi-Media Gallery at
303 West Avenue in Norwalk (Mathews Park)
$25/pp includes reception with beer/wine and finger foods from 6:30-7:30PM and the movie will conclude at 9:30PM.

Sponsored by Hagerty Insurance, Pray Auto Body, Pray Achievement Center & Pray Auto Museum and Spacefitters Logistics & Technology Group. Space is limited to 150 attendees.

Tickets can be purchased at http://www.neautomuseum.org

Attachments:
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg [ 40.06 KiB | Viewed 10216 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:32 am 

It took me a moment to figure out I had to click on PLN's photo in order to make it give me the buy-a-ticket screen.

Nowhere does it mention a dress code; would i be the only one showing up in a suit and tie, or could I wear a set of BSR coveralls?

Frank T

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:35 am 

Outstanding wrap for the 2015 zeason! Thanx Ross!
Alternate transportation engaged (no Z in this weather,plus bridges are already salted in Old Saybrook and New Haven).
Who else iz in? And please, no whining about 'well, maybe, if my wife's soccer practice getz out in time..'
Zee ya there

Al

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:58 pm 

Just back from yet another screening (my 3rd) of the Adam Corolla doc on one of our heroes, Paul Newman, at the New England Auto Museum, conveniently located (for damn near all of you) in nearby Norwalk (a mere 3 hr romp for yourz truly). Still get goozebumpz.
That being said, I am sorely disgusted to report that I was the lone CTZCC rep (except for our other hero, Bob Sharp, who graced our presence w/ a Q&A both before and after).
As esteemed member Frank Thomas (also MIA) iz so fond of saying, "You can't quit a free club" but it iz times like this that I seriously consider it.

WHAT IZ WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!???

Al

(Please do not respond to this post w/ any of your frivolous sniveling about why you were not there. Your non-actions speak volumes.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:34 am 

Hi Guys,
Just to let you know this movie is now on Amazon Prime. I saw it last night.
Mike Rosann

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:53 am 

[quote= That being said, I am sorely disgusted to report that I was the lone CTZCC rep (except for our other hero, Bob Sharp, who graced our presence w/ a Q&A both before and after).

WHAT IZ WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!???

Al]

Al, thanks for carrying the CTZCC torch. I think the one day advance notice resulted in the poor turn-out. I got the information from Bob on Tuesday, only one day before the event.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:44 am 

"WHAT IZ WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!???"..."Your non-actions speak volumes."

Al - I do commend your spirit (and availability)! I for one, and I am sure there are many here, would have LOVED to have gone to this. That being said, with one day's notice, it's challenging for most folks on a work night/school night and with previous obligations, to re-arrange life to get to an event like this. For example: When one's wife is having dental surgery and Daddy has to put the toddler to bed, it makes it a bit 'challenging' to get out. I am sure there were 100 other situations like this for members. I love a good ribbing when justified, but this...hmmm. Not sure if such a rant was in the 'spirit' of the club...but what do I know... :?: (Not to mention, many folks may not actually visit this site daily.)

Flame away and/or admins delete my post if you see fit - just had to get it out there.

1970 Datsun 240z #11137

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:13 pm 

It was poorly timed for me. I had made prior obligations which I might have re-arranged if I'd had more than a day's advance notice, but it wasn't fair to the others involved to suddenly change our plans. Plus, I own the video and have watched it several times. It's worth gathering together to watch in unison (and it would have been outstanding to view it with Bob there to answer questions later), but short notice just doesn't work well for family folks. I don't drink, so the alcohol was not a lure for me. I've heard other arguments from retired members about scheduling a pay event so close to the end of the month, three days before payday, in the middle of the week, on short notice, and another about it being located in a remote corner of the state, rather than someplace more central. Sometimes "better arrangements" aren't possible, so it is what it is, and we take it if we can and leave it if we can't.

All in all it didn't work for me, but it would have been fun if all the stars had been better aligned. If there's one thing we should all have learned about this Club by now, it's "the longer the fuse, the better the bang". Short-notice ideas are generally not successful among us. HOWEVER: I am proud that Big Al and Bob Sharp were available to represent us, and I hope the overall turn-out was good. It certainly had some big-name sponsors involved, so I trust members of some other car organizations got more advance notice than we did? It must have been a short-fuse notice for Bob too, or he could have said something about it while he had 105 of us all together on Saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:59 pm 

I would have loved to attend this screening had I known about it at least a few days earlier. Collin's comments echoes my sentiments as well as others in the club I'm sure.

I will order the video for my collection AND try to check these CTCC topics more often (my bad). I'm sorry I missed this event.
:oops:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:28 am 

Velocity is broadcasting Winning on Nov 20th 9PM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:23 am 

I got my "Winning" DVD on Tuesday. Great documentary on Neuman's passion for racing. With our club members having met Bob Sharp and listetening to his examples of Paul's racing history as well as his own, it makes us, at least me anyway, feel as if we were part of this wonderful story.

Great job Adam Corrola!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:51 pm 

Some of my happiest memories about this great Club were the first monthly meetings I attended at Darien Nissan in the Spring of 2008. Bob told us unending stories about the people and cars involved with his early days of racing, then brought in his own 8mm silent home films of his first Zeason driving HLS30-00006. It was an absolute thrill for me to watch Bob, in what was the ONLY 240Z in captivity at the time, beat the "A-Production" 427 Cobras, Mustangs, Corvettes and Camaros and take the overall win.

There was something magical about road racing in the 1950s, '60s and '70s. I remember seeing Bob race twice in person, once at Watkins Glen and again at Elkhart Lake Wisc (Road America), both times in 510s. I was stricken by how consistent he was; I could have set my watch to his lap times. I got a good vantage point at The Glen's final right hander turn onto the front straight, and watched Bob perfectly drift the corner lap after lap with the 510 in perfect balance, while a hoard of dented, squirrelly BMWs slid and fishtailed all over the place trying to catch him. He was the obvious professional, making the most of what his car had to offer. That's just what he taught PLN when they met. Paul wanted to start in a Z, but Bob made him first learn to make a weaker car go really fast. By the time Paul got a Z under him, he was a real terror.

If you consider all the factors, PLN couldn't have choZen a better time to learn to race. Besides his own personal talent for listening and learning, he got into the game at a time when the rules were fair, the cars could be driven hard and made to go fast, and the very best teacher was available to learn from.

Frank T

Last edited by Frank T on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:03 pm 

anyway we can get a copy? Wish I had seen this. Actually, at the outing @ Ross's Bob asked me if
I had seen the film, then we were interrupted with someone asking about my roadster and we lost the
subject. Possibly a missed opportunity. I'd love to see it and/or get a copy.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:22 pm 

You can't have mine! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

beerdart wrote:
Velocity is broadcasting Winning on Nov 20th 9PM

Thanks for the heads up - I just set my DVR!