Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: WINTER STORAGE TIPS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:52 am 

The following is an article that I wrote for ZCCR's newsletter and publish every fall. This is my "tried and true" way of storing my Zs for the winter. Hasn't failed me in 35 years! :D

10 Steps For Safe Winter Storage of Z-Cars

Properly storing a vehicle that will not be driven in the winter months is crucial for it’s long life. Improper storage can result in fatal rust, electrical problems, corrosion of components and shorten the life of the vehicle. This is especially important in the northeast where weather and temperature can greatly vary from mild to wild. Precautions have to be taken to protect your car.

The following are 10 simple steps that need to be taken to properly store your car:

1) STORAGE LOCATION: Find a SECURE location INDOORS to park your car for an extended period of time. Parking the car outside, covered or not, will not work! A locked, dry, clean, secure garage is essential. Earth floor barns are not a good place to park the car! A sturdy concrete, asphalt or wooden floor is a must. Make sure that the chosen parking spot is not in a place where something can fall on, spill on or collide with the car.

2) WASH & WAX: Wash and wax the car thoroughly. Vacuum the
carpeting and upholstery. Clean the glass. Put vinyl protectant
on appropriate surfaces. Condition leather seats. Condition
rubber weather seals with rubber treatment (use silicone based,
products, petroleum based products break down rubber over
time!) Spray light oil such as WD-40 into all exterior locks and on
door, hatch and hood hinges.

3) FLUIDS: Change oil and filter, run engine a bit to circulate the fresh oil throughout the engine. Top off all fluids. Make sure of a
proper 50/50 coolant mixture, good to at least –35 degrees F.

4) MOISTURE BARRIER: The BIGGEST enemy of a stored car is MOISTURE!! Put a plastic sheet on the floor and park the car on top of it. Use a heavier grade plastic, such as the popular blue plastic tarp-type to prevent rips or tears. Make sure the plastic sheet extends at least a foot larger than the dimensions of the car all around. Do NOT use old carpeting or wood! If you choose to store the car in your home garage, it is not a good idea to park a daily use vehicle next to it. The dripping water, snow and salt on your garage floor will defeat the purpose of keeping your “special” car DRY!

5) FUEL SYSTEM: Before parking fill the fuel tank with fresh fuel. Use a commercial gasoline stabilizer such as “Sta-Bil” in the gas according to manufacturer’s directions. Run the car a few minutes to disperse the stabilizer through the entire fuel system.

6) PEST PREVENTION: Small animals, rodents and insects like to move in and make your car their home while it is in storage. To prevent this, you should seal off your exhaust pipe and air cleaner inlet with a rag or plastic bag. Put a note on the steering wheel to remind you to remove it in the spring! If the car is being stored in a barn or another place where animals might be prevalent, take a ziplock bag and put mothballs inside. Poke a few holes in the bag and set two or three inside on the floor of the car and in the trunk or hatch area. The mothballs will keep out unwanted guests!

7) TIRES & WHEELS: One of the biggest misconceptions in storing vehicles over time is that it is “necessary” to put the car “up on blocks” to get the tires off the ground. This in fact is the worst thing you can do! The free weight of the wheel and gravity will put pressure on suspension components such as control arms, springs and bushings causing damage. If you insist on putting the car up on blocks, remove the wheels to relieve some of the weight. Modern radial tires can stand in place for months without any side effects such as “flat spots”. Check to make sure the tire pressure is at full capacity when parking the car. Park the car with the
transmission in neutral (automatics may be left in “park”) and the
parking brake OFF. Block the wheels to prevent rolling.

8) VENTILATION: To keep air circulating and to prevent moisture from building up inside the car, leave the side windows rolled down an inch or so.

9) BATTERY: Leave it in or take it out?
*Many different opinions exist about the battery in a stored car. Generally, the best thing to do is to remove the battery from the car. Take the battery inside to a dry, warm place such as your basement or tool room, set it on a block of wood (not a concrete floor) and put it in a place where it will not be disturbed.
*MANY NEWER CARS SUCH AS THE 350Z/370Z require the battery be left in place at all times to maintain power and memory to the on-board computers! If the battery of these cars is removed for more than a few hours, the computer will generate an “error” code. The car will run, but it will be necessary for a qualified dealer or mechanic to clear the code and re-set the computer. To avoid this, use a good quality “Battery Tender”. This device is available from many manufacturers and safely “maintains” the appropriate level of charge in the battery for months or even years.
DO NOT CONFUSE A “Battery Tender” with a “Trickle Charger”! They are two different devices. A trickle charger keeps a continual flow of voltage to the battery without allowing a discharge. This will in fact SHORTEN the life of your battery! A battery tender allows the battery to act as if the car is being driven normally, that is a slow discharge of the battery then a slow recharge via the alternator. This will prevent sulfisification of the plates. The idea is to maintain the battery voltage as new.

10) COVER: Cover the car with a tight fitting but breathable car
cover. Do not cheap out! Use a good quality cover that
allows moisture to escape and keeps dirt and dust off.

OTHER FACTS TO CONSIDER:

TO RUN OR NOT TO RUN? While in storage, every couple of weeks many people start their car, let it run a few minutes and then turn it off. This is NOT a good idea! If the car isn’t run at full operating temperature at highway speeds for at least 30 minutes, condensation in the fuel system, exhaust system, cooling system and oil system does not fully burn off and will result in moisture contamination, corrosion and system failures. AND if you do drive the car, you will then have to go through the storage process all over again! It is better to LET IT BE!

“FOG” THE ENGINE? It is not necessary to coat the cylinders and engine internals with oil or protectant if the car is only in storage for the winter months. It is a good idea to coat the cylinders and valve train if the car is to be stored for more than a year.

“INVISIBLE SALT”? Even if the roads are dry, do not drive your car in the winter months when road salt (a/k/a “Z acid”) is being used. That fine white dust will find its way into every nook and cranny of your car, activate when wet and slowly eat your car away. Wait for a couple of heavy April rains for the roads to be safe for your car again.
Besides, you don’t want to have to go through the storage process all over again, do you? LET IT BE!

PLATES & INSURANCE: Generally your car will be unused and sitting for at least 5 months. To save some money on your liability and collision insurance, DMV will store your license plates, which will allow you to suspend that coverage while your car is not on the road. The only negative is that you have to deal with the lines at DMV to drop off your plates in the fall and again when you pick them up in the spring. Make SURE that you maintain your COMPREHENSIVE (fire, theft, glass) coverage throughout the storage period!

If you take these steps to safely store your car, it will help to ensure many years of enjoyment. And there is nothing like getting that Z back on the road in the spring and falling in love with it all over again!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject: Re: WINTER STORAGE TIPS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:52 pm 

I insure with AMICA. Their rates are decent on cars and really good on homeowners. I cancel liability insurance on one car during the winter and they never make me go thru the aggravation of suspending registration or plates. They are happy to leave well enough alone so long as I keep fire and theft coverage on the car year round.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:53 am 

OR you can insure with Hagerty as I do. Their classic car rates are so low and coverage so comprehensive, I can just leave the plates on the car year round. I suggest that everyone with a classic/special interest car check Hagerty out.

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:56 am 

I tried insuring with Hagerty and they denied me. I think it's because I wrote down how much I actually drive it rather than how much THEY want me to drive it.
I've stuck with progressive so far. It's about twice what hagerty would have been but it's still not bad.
Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate all the advice!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:11 am 

Thanks John. I always refer back to your guide as my storage checklist!

I zip my 240z up in a car jacket - like a giant sleeping bag - they're well worth it if you feel your storage area is not absolutely airtight...

http://www.carbag.com/order/S2

1970 Datsun 240z #11137

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the awesome and very timely write-up, John!

You answered many of the questions I have had for a long time about winter storage and you also raised points I never even thought of...

Greatly appreciated!

- Jim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:51 am 

[quote="BFG"]I tried insuring with Hagerty and they denied me. I think it's because I wrote down how much I actually drive it rather than how much THEY want me to drive it.
I've stuck with progressive so far. It's about twice what hagerty would have been but it's still not bad.
quote]

Hagerty does not restrict miles driven, unlike other classic car insurers. All they really want to know is that your Z is not your daily driver and that it is garaged. They may have issue with insuring highly modified cars.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to connect you with Hagerty's northeast rep.

And no, I do not work for them, they are just a great company to work with !! LOL

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:19 am 

I would be interested in trying to get insurance from them again. My use of the car has changed since I last tried to get the insurance so I shouldn't have any issue getting approved this time around. If you wouldn't mind sending me that information that would be awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:09 pm 

Mark Briggs is Hagerty's Regional Account Representative for New York. He can help you or refer you to a more local account rep. You can contact him by phone or email. Please tell him that you were referred by me and ZCCR:

P: 231-409-6993 E: mbriggs@hagerty.com

Hagerty is a great supporter and ally in the collector car hobby. I've been happily doing business with them for almost 15 years. Lots of great information at their website: http://www.hagerty.com

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:17 am 

Thanks John for the excellent winter storage guidelines. Refering to pest control section... where is the air cleaner inlet on a Z35?
Thanks,
Colette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:51 am 

CCzoom wrote:
Thanks John for the excellent winter storage guidelines. Refering to pest control section... where is the air cleaner inlet on a Z35?
Thanks,
Colette

I'd guess that the two air inlets on the Z35 would be in front of the radiator support (any Z35 owners please chime in). An easy option would be to simply stuff a rag into the pipe where the air filter is). Be sure to remove it in the spring, put that note on the steering wheel! :)

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com