Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:06 pm 

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014 ... refer=news

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:37 pm 

Great article . . . . thanks for sharing. 8) :thumbs_up:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:06 pm 

Yeah, this is one of the rare 35 Datsun Heritage cars, which got totally restored by Nissan back in the day. They are a beautiful thing to behold, but most of the guys who spend years painstakingly restoring their own cars hate to see one of these Heritage Zs pull in to a car show with them. The Heritage cars get everybody's vote for Peoples Choice, and what did the owner do to earn that? He bought the car, that's all. It's a case of buying the corporate office's hard work and winning trophies with it. That somehow seems unfair to me.

Not to put the Heritage program cars down at all, but they shouldn't be allowed to compete against privately-restored Zs. They should be judged in a class of their own.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:47 pm 

frank, think about what you just said. that car should not be entered with the rest of the z's. how many of our z's were there, including yours? that man has taken wonderful care of that car thru the years, which was redone about 20 years ago, yes by the factory approved contractor,not himself,but not any different than if you had your car at vinnies shop or on a lift in your own garage and your friends did your work for you. be happy that he was there with a very rare and nice car for all of us to see and remember what we fell in love with. if that is the case, when the ctzcc show is on in the fall, no new zcars should be allowed, as they were not owner built. do you get my point.? i saw the car up close and i must say a very big, wow, no i mean WOW!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:07 pm 

Hi Mike! :mrgreen: Well I zee your point, but those cars are so perfect that they sort of set a class of their own. It's hard to compare one of the Heritage Zs against any of the owner-restored cars. The factory poured so much cash into each of the Heritage cars, they lost a ton of money on the overall project. The average Z owner doesn't have that deep a pocket to fight with (or he'd be restoring wire-wheeled Astons), so altho he builds an outstanding S-30, there's not much hope of him competing against a $90,000 Heritage restoration. I've seen two Heritage cars and yes, I agree with you, WOW. But the owner in either case knew very little about his own car and did nothing more than wash it twice a week and drive it onto and off of a trailer. (This guy drove his, good for him).

My sympathy is for the individual owner who broke his bank (and his back, and his knuckles) (and maybe his marriage) over a 5 year restoration, lovingly gets to know all the systems of his car, scrounges for original parts, then proudly drives his finished 1970 240Z to a show and encounters a factory-restored cost-is-no-object Heritage Z competing against him, whose owner doesn't even know how his own car works. I don't know quite how to explain what I'm feeling about it, but it seems to me like some of the Heritage guys own the cars as 'investments' and it seems somewhat unfair to me to have them trounce a private restoration by buying a $90,000 factory-restored S30 for $28,000 and winning all the trophies with it.

I get what you're saying, but I just get strong feelings about the.....fairness?.... of competition at that level. It's not a competition of skill or mechanical knowledge or attention to detail or even love for the car (necessarily). It rather becomes almost a competition of discretionary income.

Would I want to own a Heritage Z?? Oh, you bet! But I just wouldn't feel right entering it into a show competition against other Zs. I wouldn't hesitate to enter it against a field of Ferrari or Astons or Alfas or whatnot, but I would be somehow ASHAMED to enter something I bought off a showroom floor against a Z owner who sacrificed for years to build his 240 with his own hands and limited finances.

I'm sorry Mike ~ I'm not doing a very good job describing my feelings here, but it just seems slightly 'wrong' somehow. And on your point of the beautiful new 350s or 370s showing off against a field of S30s, S31s or S32s, that doesn't bother me at all. I feel they are apples and oranges, and I like both. I don't perceive anything 'wrong' about that ~ it just exemplifies the continuation of the species.

And BTW, my own Z is not a showcar and was built to be a daily driver ~ it wasn't at this show.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:08 pm 

frank, i only saw a couple of cars that were trailered into that show, all others were driven, and only a few were perfect. so, that being said, this makes them all drivers. as for that factory car being perfect, that was just one of many zcars there that were perfect, such as john t. car from our sister club in rochester,tom and kathy's car from zanny, and mike's cars from zanny.the other people i did not know, but wish i owned their cars. they all were just as nice as the factory car, but this time they didn't win. now let's talk about the high end euro cars and what it takes to put them together, money wise. those cars have so much money in them you can not drive them any wheres,or properly couldn't. this is our hobby and what makes us happy, deep pockets or no pockets, no skill or lots of skill. i was thrilled to see that factory car, because that is a true history book on our cars, a bench mark,if you will, and that man deserved his day in the sun, just like the guy with the jag, or the tr6 or the cobra and yes that damn mustang.