Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:32 pm 

Stealing this idea from Z31performance.com...

So let's hear it. What did YOU do to your Datsun/Nissan today?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:17 pm 

Well, nothing today :(
Recently however I did rid the door Paul gave me of some minor surface rust, treated it, filled some minor pitting and dents, and have it primmed.

Still have some small dents to fix before shes ready for paint.
GOnna have to wait a bit though, Ill be deploying again before too long. Doubt Ill finish before then.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:17 am 

I checked all the fluids and wiped off some road dirt, then drove to the Orange/Derby line and showed the car at the Heavenly Donut cruise-in (free).

Met up with Surfer D and his little Rug-Rat there and together we viewed about 70 cars, some of them really great old stuff. Some of my favorites were an original Studebaker Avanti, one of the beautiful Studebaker GT Hawks, a 1962 Corvette and a very special 1900 Knox brass-age Open Two Seater runabout. It wore a sign claiming it was Knox's "Mnfr Car 1". Does that mean it was the first Knox made? Knox built cars in Springfield btwn 1900-1914. This one had NJ plates dated 1910. Altho many of them were air-cooled, this one had a radiator (but no windscreen). Right-hand drive, hand-cranked starter, huge artillery wagon wheels, pneumatic rubber tires with a side mount spare, gas vapor lights. It appeared all-original, but who could tell? It even had the highly-prized "original" Python snake option slithering from the running board up the driver's side fender! :lol: You had to see it to believe it.

The Z garnered much attention and I was happy to zee several daddies showing my car to their kids and pointing out all the technical details they remembered from their knuckle-busting days.

I also got to zee Surfer D's great Nov/70 240Z and look fwd to zeeing a lot more of it. He really stole a great deal on an original 44 year old Z ~ it runs like a top and everything works! If he enters it just as-is in next month's Z car show, without even washing it, he's sure to win something.

Once again, due to this new format making all photos roadmap-sized, I'm unable to attach any pictures. :x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:37 pm 

Hey Frank, that show always has something interesting.
Luckily I live close so I go whenever I can.
You give my Z far too much credit but I do love it and am very lucky it doesn't have a case of the gremlins yet.
Yours is way better and your story is the stuff of novels.

I got it registered today but the DMV had the wrong VIN listed on the old registration and I forgot to mention it. So it went on the new one that way. On my way out I noticed it and the woman from whom I got it from was very helpful. I have to go back tomorrow and do what's called a VIN search to change it in the computer since it was closing time.
Chaotic as it was the Waterbury DMV was pretty easy to work with.
One hint for anyone registering anything, get the forms online and fill them out prior to going. It's neater and saves tons of time.

I'll be at the 8/20 and 9/6 meetings if all goes well and the wife and rug-rat let me.
Ahh family bliss.

Attachments:
File comment: Frank's car in the background.
IMG_1274.jpg
IMG_1274.jpg [ 74.48 KiB | Viewed 5045 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:57 pm 

[...DMV had the wrong VIN...] Yup, that happened to me in NC one year. For some reason (maybe my sloppy printing?) they typed out the new Title as HL"5"-30 rather than HLS-30. Took me months to make them correct it, and then only after I arranged to meet a specific state trooper Waayyyy back in the boonies on his beat, so he could confirm the number. :roll: They didn't have half the organizational qualities in the 1970s that they have today.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:08 am 

Awesome^ Glad you guys were able to connect!

I finally finished off the semester, so I got to do a bit more wrenching yesterday!

LCA removed, old bushing burned out, inner and outter tie rods removed, ball joint whacked out. Sway bar has been removed, sanded and painted, as well as both LCAs. Woot! Pictures up on my intro thread soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:50 pm 

Put in my first inner tie rod, and pressed my first poly bushing into the driver's side LCA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:53 am 

Trying to paint my car before I go back to school on saturday. Going down to bare metal is time consuming and prep work also takes really long. Apparently the easiest part of painting a car is the actual spraying :roll: Fender Epoxy primered. Also got my blower working so heat is back!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:24 am 

More important than heat is your defroster.
Congratulations on the progress. If the rest of your car comes out looking as smooth as the R/F, you'll have a winner.
Your Z appreciates the love you're showing it. 8)