Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:29 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:35 pm 

The attached link appeared on YAHOO screens. Things are not looking good for future 370Zs and other cars because of drastic sales drops.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... he-us.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:34 pm 

["Today, I'm going to put my speculative cap on and, as an auto industry enthusiast, offer up three vehicles that I believe may soon be discontinued within the U.S"].

Admittedly, this is one writer's opinion and speculation, based on HIS perception of the market (altho I happen to agree with him).

["...changes in styling and interior options to improved mileage and engine power, just to name a few features"].

When/If Nissan or Datsun ever combines the modern V6 power plant with the still-beloved S30 styling, they will have a winner they can't keep up with.

The S30 can be updated in scores of ways, and deserves to be. The outward styling was always a smash-hit and still is, today. If they improved every part of an S30 and released it as a new car (electric windows, soundproofing, wider stance, a real air conditioner, better seats, etc) and kept it under $30K, the car would sell like mad. People would be fighting each other in line at the Datsun dealerships for the next Z off the transporter.

They've always had that option and they knew it, as evidenced by the 240Z rehab program in the 1990s. Those cars had waiting lists, just like the originals had. The USA hampered their efforts by demanding that if they intended to sell 1970 sportscars as "new cars", they required 1990s safety technology (impact bumpers, side impact door guards, airbags all around, minimum height requirements, upgraded electric lights, etc etc). That would have cost Nissan more money than they made on each car sold.

But if they REDESIGN the S30 and introduced it as a new car, rust-proof it to last 30 years instead of just 10, and give it a wheelspinning weight to power ratio right off the showroom floor, they won't be able to keep up with demand.

Surely they know something I don't know. If their goal is to sell hundreds of thousands of cars quickly and make another smash in the worldwide car market, they could and should reintroduce the upgraded S30. The fact that they have not done so in 30 years whispers "secrets" to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:41 am 

totally agree Frank!! you make me miss my Z which is parked over at my wife's granparents house.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:25 am 

Frank, I agree 100%. A modern approach to the original 240Z would be a runaway hit. Again.

It's a winning formula: best performance to price value out there, price it above the econobox hot rods but below the Vette/Porsche crowd (say $25-$32k), awesome styling, good hp/weight ratio, Nissan reliability. In essence, the best bang for your hard earned buck out there. A slickly styled (retro please!) two seat coupe, a high output 4 cylinder (forgive me) or a small V6 in the 250hp range, independent suspension, big brakes and did I mention SLICK styling?

The problem lies in platform sharing. Nissan, and others, hesitate to make the huge investment in engineering a brand new platform for a singly dedicated car. The 350/370Z are based on a 15 year old Infiniti platform. I doubt that Nissan will engineer a new platform solely for a Z car in this economic automotive environment.

But here's hoping!!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester