Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:34 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: plans for #4057
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:14 am 

I must really love 240's.......when I thought about tearing this down, I utterly almost had a tear go down my face, but eyes watered. (like they are now) Yea, this one is going to be tuff. So I have decided to give it life just one more time, I think the PO would like that as well. Not restoring it, just have it run one more time, and not start tearing this apart for a little while. I need to look at this piece of history for awhile as a whole. It's just a passion thing.........but inevitably, it can't live forever, but the spirit will live among other Z's. Fuse box cover is already in mine. I think it deserves some sort of vigil. :cry:

Last edited by Paul on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: plans for #4027
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:06 pm 

:( why have you decided to part it out? Is it that bad?

Post subject: Re: plans for #4057
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:38 am 

Yea, the rust runs deep. I'm not a body restorer, but IMO if you want to weld in a floor board, that's fine, but you need something to weld it to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:55 pm 

:cry: Im at the stage where I think installing floors is no big deal because Ive never done it (or any other sort of welding) before. If I had the money I might be crazy enough to try my hand at restoring it but that would probably require me not being a jobless college student :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:07 pm 

Hey Paul. Which car are you tearing down? I know it's hard to see them go. I think back
to when I had to donate my original 240 and watched it leave on the flat bed, the rust just
kept on coming, it was a moment I now wish had not been. Lot's of things I know now I
did not know in the late 80's. images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

How'd yo make out with the R200 ...... I'm still looking for a replacement for the R180 on the roadster along with black visors, rv mirror and side view mirrors and the back up light on the drivers side.
Anything in your parts list?
Best,
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:40 am 

Well it turned over but no start and moved it on it's own power via starter. I'm going to work on some pics. today, and It looks good from above, but the cancer goes far up into the inside body structure. After you take out all the rust.....you will have nothing to weld the floor boards too. I have NO R-200's at the moment. Visors I should have, mirrors coming off my 240 will be available, and I have a light lens. I haven't put it in the parts section yet because it is hard decision. It actually looks good in my yard.....and the cats like the fact there is no floors in it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:40 pm 

the driver's side backup lite (white) is yellowed, the other is nice and clear.
my rv mirror is missing the little knob to change to night/day ..... I just haven't
made something to fit and I hate the side mirrors because there is no way to keep
them in adjustment. I'm looking for something that mounts the same but not sure
if oem's are the way to go yet. Anyway, if you decide to do something and get some
pix let me know and we'll see what works for you.
You make me think back to when I watched my original early 240 go down the road
on the flat bed, it was donated I think '87ish........ watched it til it went out of sight.
Had I known then what I know now would probably still have it. Drive line was still killer.
The big R was what I chased for years, had it all cut out, flared the 4 corners, custom 10 coat
paint job done in late 70's while in Chicago (2 tone metallic blue with pearl clears). Just got
tired of chasing R. Of course the car lived almost it's entire life outside in weather, was driven
in snow etc. so it earned it's entry fee. Anyway ...... early S30's were rust buckets and if exposed
to any corrosives, gone. Have fun.
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:47 am 

Yea they sure were prone to rust. My first 240 was dark blue with white interior, probably a rarity today, but the floor board dropped out for real, my friend was ground level, good thing I was going 1 mph. Didn't know anything about cars at that time. So off it went, then bought a 280zx turbo only a couple years old at that time, now that was a hay day. anyways, I'll get some pics of the mirrors.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:47 am 

John if still interested just email me for those pics. autozx81@yahoo.com