Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:51 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:00 am 

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014 ... refer=news

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:59 pm 

Quote:
Citing prejudicial comments from owners of other marques, he admitted that many Z owners have been reticent to show their cars, despite the model’s overwhelming popularity in the 1970s and 1980s.

Tell me about it! I go to the Greenwich Concours every year and the only Z ive seen was a very very nice black and gold. I was at the fall outing, I know this club has some extremely nice Z's! Heres the application and heres an album of pictures I took at last years show. Its a car overload and after hearing and seeing some of those rare old cars you wont pay any attention to the latest Ferrari or Aston Martin that drives by you on your way out

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:50 pm 

I'm sure most Z's here can give the freakin 914 a run.
The thing about a concours is there must be an expert to verify and other than the members here, there probably isn't one.
Also the car must be accurate as it was new or as it was if it raced.
There aren't many of us who haven't done some tinkering.
I still think it's about time the Z had it's due.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:35 am 

Zs have been slowly but surely getting noticed in concourse type shows over the past few years, but this is the first time a dedicated class to the Z has been in a concourse show. That is not insignificant! The 240Z is finally being recognized as a true classic and collectors are noticing how few nice examples still exist.

Last September, my 1970 240Z was accepted into the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival's Concourse d' Elegance. I believe it was the first 240Z such admitted. Roger Casanova's Gold Medallion winning 1990 300ZXTT (now owned by ZCCR's Mike Noonan) was an entrant a few year's ago as well. The festival runs in conjunction with the US Vintage Grand Prix at Watkins Glen International and draws in excess of 200,000 visitors to the Village to take in the variety of events. Only 50 cars are accepted into the Concourse, you have to submit your application along with pictures and a history of your car. I decided to submit my 240Z and was delighted to be accepted. While there was no dedicated class specifically for the Z, I was the only Japanese car represented. Go here to see what type of cars are exhibited in the concourse: http://grandprixfestival.com/concours.html

The 240Z got tons of looks and comments from attendees, I was chatting with someone virtually every minute. I noted that while the other AWESOME classics on display drew "ooohs and aaahs", EVERYONE that set eyes on my 240Z genuinely smiled ear to ear. Even the judges, mostly hard core British car fans, were complimentary as they went over the Z with a fine tooth comb. The 240Z is about happy memmories, it is REAL.

Only 9 awards are given out at the Concourse: Best of Show, 2nd place, 3rd place, People's Choice and 5 Honorable Mentions. I was FLOORED to be awarded an Honorable Mention! My 240Z was driven up the Main Street with thousands of spectators lining each side to the Awards Stand to get the award. Strike up one for DATSUN!

So yes, the 240Z is starting to get its due. It's about time.

Attachments:
WGI display.jpg
WGI display.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 3575 times ]
WGI lead.jpg
WGI lead.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 3575 times ]
WGI stand.jpg
WGI stand.jpg [ 912.71 KiB | Viewed 3575 times ]

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:39 pm 

Congratulations on your win and for representing the breed John!!