Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:20 pm 

Congrats on the move back with the dime! lol

1976 Fairlady Z

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:31 pm 

Been a while since I have been on here - With a little nudge from Frank, I figured it would be a good time to post some updates.

Finally settled down in a little town north of Boston - and the house has a garage! be it a small one... but the 510 made it up this way about a year and a half ago.

Only had one big trip in it since then- drove it out to LimeRock for the '19 Vintage Races
Image20190830_125713 by D M, on Flickr
Image20190901_121830 by D M, on Flickr

Also about that time... August '19... I brought home another datto --- '78 620 Truck. Picked it up in NE CT and brought it home with the engine in the bed and the dash torn apart.
ImageOrange whip 620 by D M, on Flickr
ImageOrange whip 620 by D M, on Flickr

The 620 was a fall, winter, spring project - but I got the engine in, fab'ed up a custom dash to replace the nasty broken stock one, and rewired the whole truck. Finished it just in time for the start of Datsun season this spring... Right as Covid kicked in...
Image20191006_181047 by D M, on Flickr
Image20191110_162510 by D M, on Flickr

Did a lot of driving around in the 620 since March - 1200 miles! Basically drove it all summer as a daily, since we kept very close to home with all things Covid... Its a great little truck, super fun to drive.

Kept up on the 510 this summer as well. Didn't drive it as much as I would like, but it still has a very loud transmission issue that I as still diagnosing... I did give it some love in Sept. though with all new steering linkage, new front strut inserts, and some rear coilovers. Helping to dial in the ride height and control the very stiff suspension set up I am running.
ImageUntitled by D M, on Flickr

With winter fast approaching I decided to completely re-organize my little 14x20 garage to try and fit both the truck and the 510 in there. Poor truck was stuck outside under a cover last winter... With alot of elbow grease, and a bit of creativity I was able to get them both in. The 510 take a bit of shimmying to get it back in the corner, but the truck goes in and out pretty easy.

Really missed the car show season and not being able to go to LimeRock this year... but I'll be there next year!

Hopefully still a few more driving days this season so Ill hopefully get them both out again.

Starting to think about my next project... yes I am addicted... I am thinking about a dedicated race car as Datsun #3. Would prefer it to be a 2 door 510... but always open to a Z... It is still a bit of a pipe dream since I need to convince the Mrs... and figure out how to fit 3 Datsuns in a 1 car garage hahaha!

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:32 am 

Good to hear you back in here, Devon. They make electric lift kits to raise a parked car up to the overhead so you can park another one under it. You just hook up your electric drill and raise or lower the top car.
Of course, those units probably now cost as much as a new project.

Vinny recently picked up a 510 with a good driveline and wants to part the car out. That might get you a gearbox. (860)355-1829.

You did a really nice job on that dashboard, if any of the gauges work! 8)
And your engine work is superlative! :thumbs_up:

In a perfect world you could quit your day job and focus all your time and energy on making babies and rebuilding Datsuns. No song unsung, no wine untasted.

Frank T

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:25 pm 

Glad to see that you and your Datsuns are back East! I always loved the 510 and yours is really coming along nicely. Last I saw it was at Limerock also. Hopefully we will be able to have some events, "fun runs" and get back to LRP next year!

Welcome Back!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:57 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Good to hear you back in here, Devon. They make electric lift kits to raise a parked car up to the overhead so you can park another one under it. You just hook up your electric drill and raise or lower the top car.
Of course, those units probably now cost as much as a new project.

Vinny recently picked up a 510 with a good driveline and wants to part the car out. That might get you a gearbox. (860)355-1829.

You did a really nice job on that dashboard, if any of the gauges work! 8)
And your engine work is superlative! :thumbs_up:

In a perfect world you could quit your day job and focus all your time and energy on making babies and rebuilding Datsuns. No song unsung, no wine untasted.

Frank T

Funny you should say that Frank.... I actually did recently quit my job hahaha. With the little one on the way, and things not looking great with the company I was working for we decided it might be worth having me around full time once he is here... Leaves lots of time for Datsuns! Although limits the funds...

johnnyZ wrote:
Glad to see that you and your Datsuns are back East! I always loved the 510 and yours is really coming along nicely. Last I saw it was at Limerock also. Hopefully we will be able to have some events, "fun runs" and get back to LRP next year!

Welcome Back!

Just confirmed my camping spots for 2021! Heres to hoping we can get this Covid thing under control and have something that resembles a normal summer next year! Trying to do our part over here keeping close to home, limiting trips to the store, avoiding groups, and wearing masks.

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:05 pm 

Yeah, well all that's commendable, but you're doing absolutely nothing to stop the spread of worldwide Datsun Mania. :thumbs_up: :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:40 pm 

Hi -

My name is Devon and I have a Datsun problem...

In the last two weeks I added two to the fleet.

First I picked up Barry's '83ZX - I picked this up with the intention of stealing the drivetrain.. but now its fate is up in the air.

Then as of today- I am now the proud owner of a '73 240z! About 16hrs of driving down to MD and back (funny enough I picked up my 510 down there too!)

Still working out the plans for this one -

I did sell the orange 620... but I think the 240z is a suitable upgrade!

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:20 am 

DUUUUDE!!! You're now a full-fledged addict! :lol:
Welcome to the agony/ecstasy of Z ownership.
That '73 looks to have a good potential. You won't be impressed with the performance if it's stock, but there are 50 ways to improve it...and one of them could involve your new ZX. 8) I might have a spare antenna in the garage somewhere.

This is going to be a really exZiting Zeason for you, and fun for us to watch. (Our advice, your money :mrgreen: )

More pictures, please?

Frank T

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:22 am 

WhooHoo! :D

Once bit, you'll never quit! Can't wait to see you and your Z!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:35 pm 

Here are some more photos for you Frank!

A little more info on the car - It was a GA car, then made its way up to MD, and I snagged it outside of Baltimore yesterday. It was orange originally, but someone did a fairly poor respray on it... overall though appears to be very solid. Eventually paint will be in this cars future, but plans is to get it mechanically solid first. It already has an L28 and 5spd out of a ZX swapped in, and is currently running SU carbs. It came with a ton of extra parts including - 5 spare SU's (2 on a manifold), a spare p79 head, original wheels and z caps, unknown amount of small parts, r200 from the zx, new floor mats... and more. It definitely needs some love - but is running and driving. Wiring was redone with a painless kit. Brakes were swapped with I think Toyota calipers up front and unknown rear discs.

It definitely needs some love and a good cleaning inside - a bit of mold and quite musty. It is by no means a perfect car - but I am good with that, actually prefer it because it give me a bit more freedom to have fun and build the car how I would like and not feel bad about messing with an original.

Plans are to build a "canyon carver" out of this one - likely similar to my 510, but maybe just a little bit softer and street friendlier. Up first will be to fix a few of the little things and get it registered and driving. Then likely a sportier set of coilovers, sways and some new wheels. Following that likely a roll bar and some new seats. Long term is definitely a hot rod'ed engine - at least a cam and some side drafts or maybe a set of Mikuni Moto carbs TBD.

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:57 pm 

Yup, lots of potential there, and a good headstart in many areas already.
Whose whiteface gauges are mounted in there now?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:00 pm 

They appear to just a be a face sticker.

Eventually I’ll probably do some speedhut gauges likes I am running in the 510

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:36 am 

That ZX looks too nice to be a donor, how about a rotted 81 turbo, engine is a screamer, new turbo.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:24 pm 

Paul wrote:
That ZX looks too nice to be a donor, how about a rotted 81 turbo, engine is a screamer, new turbo.

Thanks but not looking for a turbo motor. It looks clean in the photos, and is definitely savagable… but definitely rougher then it looks… don’t actually need the car anymore since the ‘73 has a zx engine and 5 speed in it… but engines are getting hard to find and I know the “history” on this one- at least that it runs and shifts smooth- so it’s very tempting to steal the engine trans and 3.9 rear end and stash them for a rainy day or future
Hot engine build… not sure what I would do with the rest of the car after that… could be a good donor for a swap or someone who wants to swap their drivetrain from something tougher in… TBD… still thinking.

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:08 am 

Devon...
This is another route you could go:
http://www.speedhunters.com/2023/04/sim ... uto-240zg/

Nice video at the end.
Colin
the older one