Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Daphne Encounters
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:54 pm 

8)

Hopefully after finals ill have time to get some headlight buckets, finish painting, wetsanding, and buffing to see how it all turns out but youll have to wait until then!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51 pm 

So the Rustoleum Roll on/Brush on paint job (aka $50 paint job) is just not going to work. I was lured in by pictures like this and my test spots came out great, but the whole car, not so much:

First issue: Rustoleum has no UV protection so I noticed fade on a panel within weeks in the winter!
Solution: Rustoleum sells Topside paint which is a version of their enamel that has UV protectants (its used for boats)

Second issue: Rustoleum Topside paint costs significantly more than regular rustoleum. I think I paid $60 for the paint but I cant remember if that was before or after shipping.

Third issue: For some reason my test panels came out perfectly but when I applied it on the entire car I got lots of orange peel
Solution: LOTS of wetsanding. Started on the hood and quickly decided that it was NOT going to happen :lol: Im not afraid of some wetsanding but this was going to take forever and I burned through in some spots (which means Id have to repaint and wetsand again)

Fourth issue: Daphne looks like a blue orange
Solution: Get a real paint job. I talked to a guy who spent $13000 on his paint job and Id have to spend a lot longer than just the summer working at my part time job to get that kinda dough. Even if I could get a paint job for $1000 it would still be cheaper if I did it myself. I picked up this Harbor Freight HVLP turbine gun for $100. Instead of having to get a huge compressor, all the miscellaneous accessories, and a gun its an all in one portable system that puts out a constant cfm. I was ready to be disappointed because I cheaped out again but it does a pretty good job. The biggest issue is the material thickness. Most of the stuff ive tried to spray has been too thick and has needed some thinning. Once you fiddle the splatter out its easy to use and gives good results. Its about as loud as my little armorall shop vac.

Heres the cowl I bought from Paul:

Inspection lids and headlight bucket were test pieces. Im using evercoat feather fill g2 polyester primer surfacer:

Heres the unit before cleaning:

I went from grey primer to white primer to black guide coat to blue rusto to blue rusto topside back to grey primer!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:28 pm 

porkbun wrote:
Quote:
Has another car seduced you!?

:oops:

If someone will pay 6k for Daphne id be willing to part with her(this sounds horrible). Otherwise ill finish up the interior and paint her myself over the winter and list in the spring when everyone is trying to get into a Z. I get pretty bored when I find I have no work to do on my car which is the reason I sold my 260Z and the reason im now selling my 240Z. Ideally id pick up a beater and a big project that I can work on over the winter. Ive got my eye on a project Z and also something a little more obscure and a lot lighter, smaller, and rarer.
If I do end up getting my hands on the Europa special, itll only be a matter of time before im back in a Z

Hey, I used to owned 2 Europas. One special and one regular. I missed my Europa. The non- special has 4 speed and the special has 5 speed. Twincam big valve. Some Europa has 40 weber sidedraft but most in the USA are using CD175 zenith carb. The engine are good for only 10,000 miles...that's about it. Where did you find the Europa? Is it for sale?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:38 pm 

Unfortunately it has already sold :cry: . Theyre so tiny and so cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:16 pm 

They are deadly danger to everyone behind them.
You cannot see ANYTHING while backing up in one of these.

Somewhere in the world today there are 4 medically retired US Marines who still can't walk right because of our Lieutenant's Europa. He backed into 4 Marines in less than 2 years, breaking and smashing their knees and lower legs. He became a legend, first on our Rifle Range (scene of the crimes), then on our entire base. He nearly got some innocent woman pumping gas at our station gas pumps once, too.

I cannot look at a Europa without remembering the Lethal Lotus.
You might be better off focusing on that old Jag sedan in the background.

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:18 am 

"I cannot look at a Europa without remembering the Lethal Lotus.
You might be better off focusing on that old Jag sedan in the background."

yeah frank....i think all Lotus is lethal. My lotus 7 not any better than the Europa perhaps twice dangerous as the Europa.
I think all small and medium cars are lethal, i think it all depends on the driver. I drive my 7 defensively and I always want to be seen.
Even a much bigger Lotus Esprit ( I have 2 of them) still very dangerous. It's a eye magnet and sometimes people clog you just to see the car. Sometimes people chase you take picture in the highway while @70 mph speed. Many many times I've been in this situation. I avoid it as much as i can & drive it like a motorcycle --- just get away in the pack. I've been driving a lot of lotus for many many year ... So far, God always taking care of me. I drive it wisely.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:20 am 

Wisely said.

But I would still love to own an old Elite!

Attachments:
File comment: Half a ton, twin overhead cam, fibergass Giant Killer
1961 Lotus Elite.jpg
1961 Lotus Elite.jpg [ 250.95 KiB | Viewed 7614 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:34 pm 

Frank..... that's a nice classic elite -- never had that one but i used to have a Lotus Elan.
My Yellow Lotus is 1999 V8 twin turbo and for sale hahahahaha!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:58 pm 

Thats my excuse for having a louder Z. Its still pretty loud with the glasspacks on but soooo many people have just tried to merge into me before. Lets just hope I wont have to make any decisions when some super cheap lotus europa appears! Ford swap looks right at home...looks like theres room for an LS1 too :lol:
Those old jaguars are for sale if anyones interested. Heres the craigslist post. Theres also an old firebird convertible. Take the whole lot for like 3k :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:58 pm 

Thats my excuse for having a louder Z. Its still pretty loud with the glasspacks on but soooo many people have just tried to merge into me before. Lets just hope I wont have to make any decisions when some super cheap lotus europa appears! Ford swap looks right at home...looks like theres room for an LS1 too :lol:
Those old jaguars are for sale if anyones interested. Heres the craigslist post. Theres also an old firebird convertible. Take the whole lot for like 3k :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:00 pm 

Daphne encounters: Lamborghini Miura P400S!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:59 pm 

Dear Daphne ~

Please encounter a 1954 Maserati A6GCS.

Thank you.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:45 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Dear Daphne ~

Please encounter a 1954 Maserati A6GCS.

Thank you.

Frank

:lol: Well do our best

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:18 pm 

Wow, that Miura is low. I've never seen one in person. Not many cars make the Z look so tall.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:22 pm 

correction.

"The GT40 name is currently licensed to Hi-Tech Automotive in South Africa, the manufacturer who builds Superformance."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next