Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Daphne Encounters
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:49 pm 

Dont say anything about how she changes her style every couple weeks, shes going through a phase :lol:

Bad news is I need to redo my body work again after going to bare metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:58 pm 

I zee you've rolled your back windows down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:46 pm 

Its getting old cleaning off overspray :lol: HF sprayer is working great and once im done with all my body work (im at school now so progress will be slow) Itll spray the paint

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:41 pm 

Harbor Freight HVLP gun continues to spray everything I throw in it. Refreshing the undercoating to get ready for this winter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:59 pm 

looks like your getting your money's worth out of that sprayer for sure. :thumbs_up: :P

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:37 pm 

I love it because I was getting ready to spend $2-300 on just a compressor! It would definitely get pricey buying a hvlp gun and all the things I would need to spray but with this I just throw the material in the cup, reduce it a bit and spray. Easy to use and all for the price for what I probably wouldve paid for just the hvlp gun. Best $100 ive spent in a while for sure :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:54 pm 

New season of Daphne Encounters :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:04 pm 

Probably a replica but im jealous of how tiny it is

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:11 pm 

Absolutely a replica. It's a Beck 550 1955 Spyder replica (still worth about $35,000).
The actual cars are worth about $1/4 million today, and aren't left around garage parking lots without armed guards.
James Dean was killed driving an original 1955 Porsche Spyder 550.

___

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:25 pm 

Larry, looks like you're in good company.
I had to get rid of my 458, no room for lumber in the back. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:15 pm 

How I wish I could have that problem :lol: Today Daphne encountered an 03 Murcielago and the owner apparently has been noticing all the different phases shes been going through ("One day its white, then blue, then black and white, it used to be loud, last week it was quiet, now its loud again") :lol: Apprently theres a Porsche 918 Spyder roaming around Stamford so hopefully I can spot it this summer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:48 pm 

Daphne encounters............A fallen valve seat?
:(

So ive done my favorite activity (valve lash!) three times in the past week. Did it the first time last Saturday, and after hard starting and sounding like a motorcycle I pulled the cover off to find that the rocker guide on cylinder 4 had turned sideways. Fixed that, packed my bags and drove to school. Car was fine until today it started sounding like a motorcycle again on startup. This time the rocker guide popped off so I redid my valves as intended by Racer Brown and it sounded perfect for about 5 seconds before it I heard a clicking from the engine and this is what I found.

I stuck a plastic feeler through the spark plug hole and theres something preventing me from sliding it where the stuck valve is. Shone a light inside and it looks like theres a black ring sticking out from the head which sorta looks like the images im seeing for valve seats. Anyone have a spare L28 long block :shock: :lol: :( :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:45 pm 

You might not need a block, just a head (and maybe a piston).

If the valve seat detached from the head, it would be difficult for it to fall far enough down over the valve itself for you to see it thru the spark plug hole. It could be a broken valve itself and you're seeing the bell part of it. We can see the end of both valve stems in your picture, so the keepers didn't lose their hold on the stem.

Whatever it is, unless it contacted the piston or scored the cylinder walls it should only result in a head change. Since your engine is a Zero-deck height, the valve (or whatever it is) would have to extend down out of the combustion chamber in order to actually touch the piston head. But it could gouge the head and cause burrs.

Any burrs inside the combustion chamber will eventually glow and cause dieseling and preignition, since it will act as a constant "glow plug" and ignite fuel as soon as it comes into contact with it. Which valve is it, do you think? I or E?

Is there any chance of this circular thing being something else? Maybe some piece of spring sucked into the combustion chamber past your intake valve? Could anything have fallen into your induction system?

I know of a restored 240Z engine which had been rebuilt to perfection, but had a loose lock washer sucked off the air cleaner and into a cylinder. It chewed up the whole cylinder, causing the pistons and head to be replaced. I also know of another engine (not a Z) whose owner dropped a spark plug gasket one day and couldn't find it. It turned up a month later; inside his combustion chamber. It had apparently hung up on something until it fell loose and got sucked into his 4Bbl carb.

You need to pull the head and examine what really happened in there. There are spare E31 and E88 heads available here in the Club if you need one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:35 pm 

Im definitely in the market for a head but I wouldnt be opposed if someone had a spare head with an L28 attached :lol: Ive got no attachment to anything but the cam and square port exhaust system, both originals from the competition catalog. I stuck a plastic feeler inside the spark plug hole and was easily able to move it on the exhaust side but there was something obstructing it on the intake side. Only thing I know for sure is that I can see a black, ring shaped object and the valve will not return fully. Eyeing the Head SurferD has listed in the classifieds but im unsure what refreshing/headwork goes for or if its even still available

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:06 am 

Sounds as if you might have sucked something into the chamber which is holding the intake valve open (just a guess). No way to tell until you pull the head and at this point, you have no other option, unless you can borrow or rent a lighted borescope to peek in there with.

From your photos, it looks as if the springs are all the same height. If you can measure that questionable valve against other INTAKE valves, it might give you an indication whether that valve was being held open by something or is broken off inside.

Just to be clear, you are currently running a 240 engine, right? And you just wanted an upgrade to a 280? Is that correct?

(Also, this should be in the Tech Talk forum while you discuss the valve. Many readers would benefit from what you learn).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7