Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:53 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:08 pm 

A couple weeks ago I bought the 327 Clive was selling that was in Rags old 260z. Well I actually traded a Rebello long block for it.

I have made some progress so far, but I would like for it to be going a little quicker.

The original l24 and 4-speed are out and I'm in the process of prepping the engine bay for paint. My car was Ziebarted when it was new. It s awesome in some ways as I am finding absolutely no rust anywhere, but cleaning it off everything in the engine is quite an undertaking.

Here is a picture of the engine bay with the engine and trans removed. I had already experimented with a few different things to remove the Ziebarts, which is why you can see the original orange paint in some areas.
IMG_0013_2 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

This is a picture of soaking the Ziebarts with Kerosene and then scrapping in off with a plastic putty knife. It works pretty good, but it takes a long time and you have to be really careful to not gouge the paint.
IMG_0015_2 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

I scrubed the remaining black in this area with steel wool soaked in Kerosene. It really needed to be scrubbed!
IMG_0011_2 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

At this point I am trying every single type of cleaner I own to see if something will work better. Finally I tried oven cleaner. This was the only thing I tried that seemed to really break the Ziebarts down to the point I could scrub it off with a rag that was constantly being rinsed out with clean water. This is where I am today and I can see the end of the Ziebarts in sight. I'm really looking forward to getting some new paint in the engine bay. It has always been the ugliest part of the car to me because of that nasty black stuff. As much as I don't like removing it, I'm so glad the original owner did it.
IMG_0017_2 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

Here is a picture of my car the last day I drove her a few weeks ago. I took her to work knowing it would be the last drive for a little while. She looks great though.
IMG_0024_2 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:46 pm 

Ya just can't stick to one engine can ya?! :P

Glad to see you found the "mystery cleaner"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:25 pm 

Deciding what engine to go with is a tough decision. We have so many options in the S30's. I have wanted to put a v8 in a Z since high school. Growing up with a gear head dad contributed to that. He put a 350 Chevy in a triumph tr6 that was a lot of fun to ride in as a kid. That had been my plan for the Z until recently. I was thinking that if I could make the same power with a motor by Nissan that would be a better option. That is what my build would have done. But I had a lot more work to do to get there and a lot more money to spend. This trade enables me to finish my car so much sooner. I think a lot of people not liking it when someone puts a v8 these cars swayed my build decision earlier. I realized I don't care what they think and this car is for my enjoyment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:04 am 

Totally understandable. I hope you keep us updated as the build progresses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:37 am 

Tough job, but it seems to be very rewarding! Looking great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:23 pm 

I'm just finishing my roadster swap .... 355 sbc for 305 sbc.
I had a 4 spd. saginaw, which I still have, but swapped it out
for a 5 spd. tremec.
I think you made a great choice and if Clive had put that offer out there
5 months earlier I might have jumped on it. The 305 was ok, but just didn't have what I wanted and a build up was going to cost almost the same as a new 355 build ...... a no brainer.

I wish you much luck with this project ..... everything seems like it should be plug and play, but guess what, there's always something that says ... while I've got this apart maybe ........... Hope to see you on the road soon.
Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:28 am 

Thanks guys!

Jack, I've been following your build and can't wait to see your car in person. I bet your really enjoying it now that it's back on the road. I watched the videos you put up recently, looks like it came out really nice.

I'm trying hard not to get caught up with a lot of "while I got this apart projects." I just had to do the engine bay though. I figure most everything else can be done after I get it back on the road as small individual projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:08 am 

Agreed. I had the same feeling about the engine bay and repainted mine,
did the inside of the hood with a flat black gravel stop... it's harder, has some texture and does'nt show defects as much. Used this also on the tower brace bar because that always tends to get chipped. I did redo the carpet, put in new roll bar and had custom covers made ........ while I'm at it .....

I've left the exterior body work til last .... it's a 10 footer ...
The driveline was my primary target. Next winter we'll see.

We need to get all the hybrids together once they're all on the road.
Be watching for your progress ....... Best
Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:09 am 

What about the F54 motor? and is that your saab? I just scraped one, but saved the hub caps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:21 pm 

Hi Paul,

I traded the f54 with p90 to Clive for the 327 setup. It is going to a good home though. It will power Clive's Fairlady. I'm looking forward to seeing it when he gets it running.

The Saab is not mine. It belongs to someone that works for the owner of the house I'm working on in Barrington right now. He has a 80's BMW 325 too. They're both nice cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:04 pm 

I finished removing all the Ziebarts tonight. That sure did take a while and it is not something I care to do again.

Tha hardest part was cleaning it all out under the battery tray. The holes just aren't big enough to get your hands in.

Next step is sanding then prime.

I'm really busy with work, but I have to make the time because there is no way I'm not going to be finished for zconn. It's only 5 weeks away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:24 pm 

I had good day yesterday working on the engine bay. I sanded it down, masked it off, applied rustoleum self etch primer, and then VHT chassis & rollbar satin black paint. I really like how it came out, especially the satin black finish. I'm getting close to installing the new engine. :D

I ordered an OBX lsd and the stronger washer kit to rebuild it a few days ago. I figured I might as well put one in now while I'm putting the r200 in so I don't need to take it out later.

IMG_2695 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

IMG_2703 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

IMG_2704 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

IMG_2709 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

IMG_2710b by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

IMG_2725 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

IMG_2719 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:59 pm 

That came out really nice Rob. I'd say it was well worth the effort.
I found the std. 60 amp alternator wouldn't handle the load of the elec. fans so put in a 96, which is marginal. I've ordered a chrome 140 amp unit 'cuz I just don't wish to be watching gauges all the time. Still not sure about the fuel gauge (put in new senderr) as I've not been able to put enough milage on yet.
I'm jealous about the r200lsd. You should be all set. I'm going to just take it easy on the r180 and try to get some fun in for the season that remains.
Best.
Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:28 pm 

Thank Jack!

The engine came with a Delco Remy 10si 63 amp alternator. I am hoping that it will work fine. The car it was on had an electric fan and it seemed to work well with it so I'm hoping it will with my electric fans at least for now. We will see though. Maybe I will be needing to upgrade too, but I'm crossing my fingers that I don't for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:10 pm 

I envy his frame rails.