Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:03 pm 

You would have to get another clutch to fit the larger turbo flywheel. I have what you have on my Turbo, (I think) I have a stage 2 centerforce, using the smaller flywheel. The grab is better than the stock turbo set up, and lighter, more Fling IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:02 pm 

Well that is a turbo 240mm clutch. Chris said fitting it to my stock flywheel will be tough. So I need the turbo flywheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:22 am 

I see, so you have the turbo clutch because you thought the turbo car would have the flywheel, but overlooked the fact it was an automatic. I do have one, but not sure if I want to sell it, see what you can find out there, and I'll think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:25 am 

no i got the turbo clutch because my stock clutch can't handle the increased power. it would burn right up. so i was told to get the 240mm clutch. i knew the Z was automatic just didn't know there was a difference in flywheels. no prob i will just buy one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:35 am 

It's not the size that matters, (well, that's what they tell us,) :oops: but the force of pressure. I have the smaller one on my turbo, and with the hi pressure clutch,it is better than it was. Like I said, shop around, I'll think about it. my turbo flywheel is in good shape,only 80k miles on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:44 am 

well Chris did the swap in his 280z and he said the 225mm won't fly with the turbo motor. and Phil also said upgrading to a turbo clutch is needed. the stock clutch won't grab good enough. I trust Chris cause he is the only one i know who has done the swap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:23 am 

I'll have to weigh in on the bigger iz better side. During the most recent clutch change last year, I went w/ the 240mm turbo flywheel and Centerforce clutch. Lil red haz'nt been so happy since I bolted in that L28 a few years before. Under Tech Talk the thread iz '71 240zx clutch change' from sept 09.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:27 am 

so i am just going to buy a new 280zx turbo flywheel. then i will be ready to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:07 pm 

When I swapped in my 5-speed tranny I went with a 240mm flywheel and OEM turbo clutch. It was Ok until I bumped the boost to 10 pounds and it went south quickly thereafter. (I actually recorded the results of its first major clutch slipping below). I replaced the OEM clutch with an ACT HD Street model.

FYI. I bought a resurfaced 240mm flywheel from ZBarn for a very reasonable price if I remember correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:19 pm 

yeah the kit i got is rated to handle over 300hp and 300ft lbs of torque. so i am good there. it's not a stock clutch. thanks Phil i will check the Zbarn out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:46 pm 

paul.mackin wrote:
It's not the size that matters, (well, that's what they tell us,) :oops: but the force of pressure. I have the smaller one on my turbo, and with the hi pressure clutch,it is better than it was. Like I said, shop around, I'll think about it. my turbo flywheel is in good shape,only 80k miles on it.

Well, better pressure WILL work also as you stated, but more surface area for the friction disc helps quite a bit too. The more pressure you have to work against though, the harder it is to push in the clutch, and might wear out the components faster due to added stress. Not to mention the fact that all that pushing force ALSO translates through the PP, which is attached to the flywheel, which is attached to the back of the crank. Too much pressure will eventually eat away the rear thrust face of the middle bearing...

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:06 am 

Yea I understand the bigger is better sounds good thing. So more pressure would be bigger, and lighter spins faster which is therfore bigger. Besides we are only talking a few MM's, and a few more PSI that I believe wont hurt the Z engine. I'm also going by personal experience. Plus I had a free centerfoce clutch unused laying around, but for a ZX N/A was what it was bought for from previous owner of an old Z I had. I'm just saying I like the feel of what I have in my 83, and it does have more zip and I can feel a better grab. The only thing I would concider over this is.....The 240MM set up, but only using the lighter flywheel, with a centorfoce 2 clutch. I have a centerforce 2 clutch in my little truck, it now can chirp second gear, has much better take off, and the pulling power for this little truck is amazing. (For a stock 103 HP engine with 170k on it) I also turned my own flyweel, and I recall it being a 240mm as well on the truck. So Mike, If want a turbo flyweel, I suppose I could sell you mine. Could even turn it down for ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:20 pm 

I put 265HP to the rear wheel with a 225mm flywheel and clutch. The clutch was an ACT 6-puck solid disc with plenty of chatter, a harsh grab, and a pretty firm pedal. I was nowhere near the slip limit of this clutch. To ease my aging bones, I have since swapped to a fidanza flywheel which accepts both 225 and 240mm clutches. I also swapped out the grabber for an ACT 240mm unit, with a full circular, sprung center, clutch disc rated to 450 ft-lbs I believe. The pedal pressure is lighter with the 240mm for the same holding power. Think leverage. It's also buttery smooth.