Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:02 pm 

yeah i wanna switch to the BRE style one. i like mine but i need something better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:46 am 

Well a trip to Maine in the future sounds like a plan,plus can visit family as well. So ummmm either my speedometer is off by far when it gets to the higher speed, (already know its 5 off because of the different tires,) but I seen 120,which would be 115 (shhhhh) MSA front spoiler and all new suspension. Felt smooth to me and handled fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:49 am 

hopefully by next year the suspension in my Z will be done and with the turbo motor i would definitely be in for something like that. i wanna see my top speed in a safe secure area.

Post subject: Bonneville Car
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:54 pm 
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the good words. I thought I would answer some of the questions that have popped up.
This is getting quite a bit of press.

First off the Body is completely stock. Yes the Headlight covers are factory Nissan parts. I had no Idea they were worth that much! I am almost afraid to run them now. My dad got them at the local Nissan dealer here probably 15+ years ago.
The drip rails are there, no mods just pulled the chrome off. There are windshield retainers on the front and straps to hold the back window in place (hopefully).
The car was very stable and if the front end was lifting, I didn't feel anything. I do have some pics of the record run at the three mile mark but it is pretty large. The Rebello site will have the story, pics and videos sometime soon.
The engine can be any from the same manufacturer. As far as I know the only part you have to use is the Block. It is a 2800 block Naturally aspirated 50mm SK carbs, (You can run Fuel injection) Nissan comp header and the rest is REBELLO. Dave is responsible for the power. From the Clutch back, it really is 100% stock. Besides the lowered front end parts from Beta Motorsports and safety equipment (roll cage, door net, fire bottles, fuel cell etc) everything is stock. I think with a little more tuning it can run 180 with 3 liters the way it is. The next goal might just be 200mph but I dont believe we can do that with 3L on gas. Probably going up one engine size to an "E" (4.2L max) would do it. I will be talking to Dave about that.
If anyone knows where I could get the small factory spoiler for the front I would certainly like to try it!
We plan on trying to get the record at El Mirage and who knows the one listed here might be on the radar as well.
I am headed back out to Bonneville for the World Finals to help with a Diesel Steamliner next week. Hopefully I can learn something!
:D :D
Burton Brown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:36 pm 

What a small world!! I grew up 5 miles from Loring Air Force base. I'll always remember those B-52 scramble take offs back when they could break the sound barrier over land. Used to have to fight off those fly boys for the local American and Canadian girls! It is a long drive to get up there, I've made the trip "home" every summer for the past 30 years! Back when the speed limit was 55, it took a good 11 hours to make the trip with 4 screaming kids in the mini van.

Sad to see the base closed now, but glad its runways are being put to good use!

Post subject: Photo's...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:03 pm 

Hi Burton:
Good to hear from you... as you can see, everyone is dying to see pictures of the engine bay etc..

Hi Phil:
Not to be picky - but the B-52's, as much as I love them - never broke the sound barrier. If the period your talking about it before 1969.... the B-58's were super-sonic. {God I loved those B-58's;-)..

Oh..and by the way - looks like my software was off by 100 horsepower.. took just over 360hp... Model, simulation, analysis, "verification".. - correct the model... :oops:
FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:47 am 

Quick comments ~

Burton, what tires are you running at those speeds?
And I notice your hood is latched and unvented. By popping it open onto the safety catch, you can let a lot of airpressure out from the engine bay, letting you 'look' more aerodynamic to the wind. Air flowing thru the bay and right back out does not collect behind the radiator az much, resulting in a few more mph at the same rpm.

And, If you find an old BSR chin spoiler (looks like a smile under the car) grab two ~ one for me. I now wear the BRE brake-vented spoiler and love it, but i have always admired that little BSR chin spoiler. They simply seem impossible to find now.

Finally, I remember the louver-vented inspection lids on factory-fresh cars, indicating to me they were a factory or dealer option? If so, you can improve your aerodynamics and cool your engine a few degrees with them.

Carl & Phil ~ ConAir Hustler! Set a new Coast to Coast air speed record when I was a kid; maintained a supersonic shock wave for over an hour, which shattered windows all across America. Hardly the way to advertiZe the benefits of "your tax dollars at work"!

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:28 am 

You are correct regarding the B-52's inability to break the sound barrier Carl. But there were aircraft on base that could and did. Perhaps a fighter.....

Post subject: Pic of engine
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:12 pm 
Here are a couple of pics of the engine.

We ran Goodyear land speed tires on the rear. The fronts are just basic front runner drag race tires.

I do think the rake helped alot. Last year however the car was pretty level and we ran 167.9 (next run fuel pump failed) and ended up going home without a record. It makes you a little hungry when you miss the record by .8mph

Burton

Attachments:
Dads pics 173.jpg
Dads pics 173.jpg [ 372.31 KiB | Viewed 3633 times ]
Dads pics 171.jpg
Dads pics 171.jpg [ 267.62 KiB | Viewed 3633 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:32 pm 

Bee-yoo-tee-ful!
Makes me even more proud to be a 240 guy.

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:51 pm 

Very nice, everything you need and nothing you don't. It looks like the exact same radiator I put in my 72. Ebay $99. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:20 pm 

Frank T wrote:

And, If you find an old BSR chin spoiler (looks like a smile under the car) grab two ~ one for me. I now wear the BRE brake-vented spoiler and love it, but i have always admired that little BSR chin spoiler. They simply seem impossible to find now.

Hi Frank:
I don't have a picture in which I can clearly see the early BSR chin spoiler. In the one's I do have it seems to be in the shadows.... but it looks a little larger than the OEM chin spoiler that some of the Euro Spec. cars were fitted with..

Anyway - here is a picture of the OEM unit... Maybe I could have a mold pulled off it. The original units were a flexible vinyl material - but they could be reproduced in fiberglass..

BTW - when I first arrived at Fairchild AFT, they had the last remaining B-58's flying. By the end of 1969 they were all gone. It took about 20 hours of ground maintenance for each hour flying...

I at least got to see a couple of them take-off/land... thrilling!

FWIW,
Carl B

Attachments:
70Spoilr.jpg
70Spoilr.jpg [ 73.67 KiB | Viewed 3612 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:47 pm 

Right Carl ~ the old vinyl units were the ones to have. They flexed if you bumped into something; the 'glass units usually cracked. Not much chance of finding a 'new' vinyl spoiler these days. :cry:
That's OK ~ my BRE Spook has brake coolers in it and nails the front end to the road under normal conditions (<100mph).

The Hustler was not equaled until the F4 Phantom was introduced, which was a thrilling and awesome bird in its own right. Different roles, but a good all-around war machine nonetheless.

This little speed-demon Z is predictably simple. All the right goodies. At first I was surpriZed not to see a shock tower brace over a race engine, but then reality hit me ~ WHY would you need one for a straight-line car? DUH!!!

I found the throttle return springs on the hood latch interesting :D

Burt, I do suspect some little gain would be made by somehow releasing the underhood airpressure at speed. During one practice run, would you prove this right or wrong by popping the hood open onto the safety catch for us? It doesn't make the car less "stock", and there's no danger of the hood flying open. If anything, it might actually re-close itself above 150!

(Carl & Phil, see my Post to you in OFF TOPIC) :wink:

Frank

Post subject: Spoiler/hood
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:30 am 
Yes next time we run I will try that.

Carl,
If we could get a mold of the chin spoiler that would be great. I would certainly pay for any cost for this to be done.
Call me sometime if you have time.
Thanks
Burton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:59 am 

Hi Burton:
I should see the guys that can build a fiberglass mold today or tomorrow... I'll let you know what they say. My main concern is being able to pull a mold off the OEM spoiler without any ill effects on this NOS part. As Frank said, they are next to impossible to find today...

kind regards,
Carl