Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:27 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:16 am 

Burton Brown informs me that he and his team set a new F/GT Class record of 172.9 mph at Bonneville this past week.

The previous record was held by a 308 QV Ferrari at 168.7 mph. The Ferrari beat a previouis record set by a Z in 1985 of 161 mph.

F/GT Class requires a pure stock body running an engine with more than 2001cc and less than 3000cc. The engine has to be ran on event gasoline.

I'm guessing, but to push a stock body Z above 170mph - your looking at 450HP+ from an L6 running carbs. Pretty amazing...

Burton said he would let me know when they have video ready to share - and I'll hyper-link it from the Z Car Home Page.

FWIW,
Carl

Attachments:
BBrownRecordSm.jpg
BBrownRecordSm.jpg [ 83.13 KiB | Viewed 8071 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:42 am 

My gosh! They really mean 'STOCK' ~ they didn't even remove the bumpers!

170mph in the old S-30 body shell is something Dave Russell should speak about here. He did wind-tunnel tests on the old Zs back in the day.

I wonder what chin spoiler they used for this run? :lol: My Z got light-nosed one-hundred miles per hour sooner than this one!

Frank

Post subject: No Spoiler
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:27 am 

No chin spoiler.... although I suggested that the OEM spoiler could be used, and even though it was only about 2.5"... it might help a little.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:37 am 

172? that's it? :lol: :lol: :lol: that has to be scary. with my current old 32 year old suspension 100mph the car starts to get light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 am 

Nice, wins one for the team. I'd like to know what went into the engine to reach such a speed. So was he able to use a spoiler, or not allowed? Also headlight covers were not stock, so is there a fine line of what you can install to help out? It also doesn't matter if it's a V8 as long as it's under 3 liters I suppose. For those that don't know....308 means 3.0 liter V8....then the 328 came out and that's 3.2 liter V8.........my dad's neigbor has a "87" 308 with 4,000 miles on it........and it's sweet, I love the fact he lets me touch it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:00 am 

No spoiler
The Headlight Covers were factory options - and thus allowed

I'm not certain, but in the GT class I believe you have to run the same basic engine that the car was equipped with from the factory - - but you can modify it. I believe that engine swaps put you in a completely different class. I'm sure that the L6 was bored/stroked to at least a 2.9+L

308 QV - is the Quatrovalvole {4 valves per cylinder} version running Fuel Injection etc.
http://www.bobnorwood.com/Ferrari%203%2 ... 20salt.htm

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:41 pm 

That had to be a RIDE!
Car slopez forward so that had to help.
Have seen an indicated 135(w/ spoiler) and it felt ok...wonder what that extra 35 waz like...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:16 am 

The forward rake helps a lot and they might also run ballast. Weight is almost a non-issue for top speed but helps keep you connected to the earth. It also looks like the drip rails were shaved...shhh I won't tell if you don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:55 am 

I see, so the light lenses with the chrome surround are the real deal, the others are aftermarket, and what about smoked? Did they offer those as well? I actually have been looking to buy a 308 QV but would settle for a plain model, because they are a little cheaper than the 328's. Always has been a favorite for me. Of course now will have to see what the next Z car looks like. Are you sure the drip rails are shaved? Or just missing the chrome. It's hard to tell from the pic. So as a club we should build a car to beat this record.......I would defiantly be crazy enough to drive it......and 200mph should be the goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:12 am 

The head light covers were offered as optional on Z's sold in Japan - they were unlawful in some States here in the US, so they were not standard. They were offered only with clear lens Japan.

I think BRE was the first to offer headlight covers here - which were locally produced. Even in 1972 the OEM Headlight covers were considered too expensive at $95.00 each. Today I've seen NOS pairs sell for anywhere between $750.00 and $1200.00 per pair.

As I recall BRE offered theirs at $65.00 per set. Also many people did not like the look of the chrome rim sticking up above the lines of the car - so the BRE covers mounted with hardware that made the lens covers fit flush to the body lines. BRE also offered fiberglass covers - that simply blended the fender lines over the headlights for racing.

Some owners ordered both the clear lens and fiberglass covers. They would paint the fiberglass covers to match the body color - and run them during the day. Then take them off and mount the clear lens covers for nighttime driving.. ;-)

FWIW,
Carl B.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:42 am 

My personal record are 110 mph on the autobahn.
I didn't have the courage yet to go faster with the old (fair)lady.
But this Bonneville record seems to say: be brave.

Thor

Post subject: Head north to go fast...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:43 pm 

If you want to see how fast your Z will go legally, just head north to Maine....

The Loring Timing Association (LTA), a Land Speed Racing (LSR) venue on the site of the former Loring AFB in Limestone, Maine.

http://www.lta-lsr.com/HOME.htm

Lot of stuff on You Tube
They have not posted the dates for 2011 yet, sure looks like fun, just pack lots of underwear!

About a 9-10 hour drive from this end of the State.

Colin
The older one

Attachments:
road trip.jpg
road trip.jpg [ 608.15 KiB | Viewed 7982 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:46 pm 

sounds like a future club event..... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:30 pm 

I do not recommend speeds much above 75/80 mph in a 240Z without a front Spoiler/Air Dam. Just too much lift to maintain good adhesion between the front tires and the roadway.

In a fully prepared race car - with very stiff springs and matching shock-absorbers - the front of the car is held closer to the ground to begin with, plus with less suspension travel less weight is unloaded from the tires in the first place. A full up race prepared Z - even without the front spoiler can be controlled by an experienced driver up to perhaps 100-110 mph... past that point they are running on the fine edge of safety.

If your thinking of going for a high speed run in a controlled environment - at the very least - put a front Spoiler like the BRE Spook, or a good air dam on the front. Above 100 mph I'd want both the front and rear BRE units. It is simply amazing how stable they make the car at high speeds...

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:49 pm 

Boy, I couldn't agree more.

The only time I ever had my '70 240 wide open for a sustained distance was in the mid-70s on an empty (as in 'closed') 8 lane highway. A brand-new, glass-smooth 8 lane highway had been built across the island of Oahu. It's called the H-3 hiway today. It was kept closed after completion for legal reasons (it was built over a sacred burial ground) and I had the key to the last exit.

My Z would only do 124mph, regardless what I tried (I didn't know about opening the hood at that time). But as Carl says, even before it reached 100mph the front end was all over the place. I didn't so much 'turn' the car, as I sort of 'wished it' someplace else, instead. Today I have a very nice BRE spoiler and it nails the nose down onto the roadway, just as Carls says.

Back then I was in my 20s and didn't care if I died. Today I wouldn't dream of trusting a set of street tires above 90mph unless I was on a closed circuit again.

I suspect the exaggerated rake on this speedster is intentionally replacing the front spoiler, since they couldn't get away with adding one under 'stock' rules.

Last edited by Frank T on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.