Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:08 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:25 pm 

WELL! While watching Green Bay beat Philly today, I saw a new NiSSAN commercial where a 370Z stretches out and turns into a Maxima for its owner, who is expecting a baby! :lol:

Maybe NISSAN's reading this website, Mike! 8)

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:34 am 

By the way, I think the whole 2+2 came about because it was made for the police in Japan. Just a myth I heard, but fact is they did use them as there patrol cars. So all you 2+2 lovers, I have one to look at that could be for sale, it's my wife's uncles car in NH. It is a 78 2+2, I think white is the color, and I believe they had it since day one, always garaged. If it is mint, and the price is right, then nothing wrong with having a 2+2 IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:13 pm 

maybe they are Frank... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 am 

Of course Porsche 911's have back seats, just as the earlier 356's did. The Datsun 240-Z is by traditional terms a "Sports/GT" car. Isn't 40 years long enough to establish a "tradition".

If Historically - Sports Cars don't have a back seat, then they don't have a fixed steel roof nor roll up windows.

Personally I believe that the term "sports car" evolved right along with the cars. Just because many of the cars called "Sports Car" didn't have fixed roofs and rear seats in the late 40's or early 50's - - - it doesn't mean that they stopped building "sports cars" in the 50's. They were never defined that way to begin with.

A "Sports Car" since I've been kid in the 50's - was most often a car that could be used for personal transportation, and could also be used for Motor Sports. Unlike a "race car" - you drove a sports car to the race track on the week-end, and raced them for "sport" rather than for "money". Then you drove them home again.

Saying that a "sports car" only has two seats - would rule out many of the cars upon which the very term was coined.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:08 am 

Well said Carl that is the exact point I was trying to make. Heck most people wouldn't consider a 4 door sporty either but cars like the Dodge Neon SRT-4 and Nissan Maxima have changed that perception. Like you said as cars have evolved so have the terms we have have for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 am 

Since I have put the 280z steering wheel in my 720 truck, it has become a sports car. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:46 pm 

paul.mackin wrote:
If it is mint, and the price is right, then nothing wrong with having a 2+2 IMO.

I love this car - if I had the space to garage it - I'd own it now.
http://zhome.com/Ads4Z/Jacobs/Jacobs.htm

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:05 pm 

Quote:

time to build another garage... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:37 pm 

Yes Carl, that is a prime example. So lets see, I'll contact my relatives in Colorodo, I think they all have garages, of course it's drier out there anyways, and then you can buy it, store it there until your ready. If there is a will, there's a way, right. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:42 pm 

One of these days - when we are all sitting around with plenty of time to talk - remind me to tell you "my garage" story... I still own the lot, but haven't been able to build the garage due to hurricanes and zoning changes... it's a long story.... Worse, during the "Building Boom" the lot itself was "worth" around $85K.... I had several offers to buy it, which I turned down for some stupid reason. Today I'd be lucky to find a buyer at $45K... What was I thinking????? At least I have a place to park my car hauler.. and the real estate taxes have gone down...

live and learn..
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:22 am 

I can't wait.....well a little bit. I do have on my agenda to come down and visit you Florida guys, and hopefully some other club members will partake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:35 am 

Carl Beck wrote:
paul.mackin wrote:
If it is mint, and the price is right, then nothing wrong with having a 2+2 IMO.

http://zhome.com/Ads4Z/Jacobs/Jacobs.htm

FWIW,
Carl B.

Interesting history on this car Carl. I wonder what documentation confirms the story? Why would Nissan use a 2+2 for a "Black/Gold" prototype?

Nice car, low mileage, interesting history. BUT, IMO, the 280ZX 2+2 was the ugliest Z car ever built. The proportions just don't work. In my mind's eye, NOT a sports car.

Let the debate continue.....

:wink:

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:13 am 

Hi John:
To my minds eye - I thought the 280ZX 2+2 was better proportioned. The rear side window shape just fits better with the longer car..

Since Bob Sharp is in your club - you might ask him directly about Mr. Jacobs ZX 2+2. When I ask, Mr. Jacobs said he still has the original Bill Of Sale...

Given that NISSAN USA - couldn't sell the three Vintage Z's they had in their warehouse - directly to retail customers when they moved their HQ from California - - - rather they had to be delivered to a Authorized Dealer then sold to the retail customer... I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan ran the actual sale though Bob's Dealership at the time. But I really don't know...

Oh.. BTW.. .. Isn't the 2+2 the current Bonniville record holder with the Z's ;-)

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:31 am 

yes i agree that the 280zx 2+2 wasn't great looking but did look better than the S30 2+2. plus without these cars you wouldn't have as many Z fans. i am sure at some point there was a guy remembering when he was little going on family trips in the 280zx 2+2. now that guy is grown up and because of those great times he buys a Z of his own. i on the other hand grew up stuffed in the little compartment with my sister in my step father's 1975 Corvette fond memories but didn't make me want a Vette when i got older. so if a 2+2 helps raise an entire family of Z enthusiasts i am all for it. :D