Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:49 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:24 pm 

:D
The state plans to suspend safety inspection, they will test for emission but that is it. Cannot fail you for tint or other stupid stuff light a burned out tail light. IT'S ABOUT TIME :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:53 pm 

New Jersey's broke. They can no longer afford to protect you against unsafe motor vehicles on the roadways. Now people with useless brakes and rattling ball joints will speed toward you (and your family) in the oncoming lane.

This happened in Hawaii while I was there in the 70s, too. The highway death toll soared and car insurance rates were unbelievable. Hardly anyone could afford insurance, so if you were hit by someone's flying wheel, you were on your own unless you were rich and could afford uninsured motorist insurance.

This isn't anything to celebrate, my friend. Personally, I intend to add this to the list of reasons I don't visit NJ (and I REALLY want to visit Raritan, but simply won't risk my life off the NJTpk). I go thru NJ like an egg thru a goose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:44 am 

I agree. For as annoying as those inspections are, they're there for a reason. The fact that they dropped safety inspections instead of emissions checks boggles my mind, and shows to me how backwards this nation is going currently.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:05 am 

Every car should have a basic safety inspection every year, and not cost no $50. Emmission test are good as well, but it's not going to kill anyone if the car is not running 100%. Governments and Corporations cause the most pollution anyways. BP oil spill, there's a good example. It takes me about 15 minutes to tell you your car is not safe to drive. Is that 15 minutes worth someones life, absolutly. Now adays they just have to plug a computer into the car, and that's your inspection. Basically if the check engine light is on, you will FAIL. But never mind the loose Ball Joints and Tie rods, blown out shocks, CV axles ready to pop off, tires with steel tread showing, ect, ect, ect........and I get cars with fresh inspection, and this stuff has been over looked. :shock: Can someone with some brains please step up and take charge. :evil:

Post subject: safety meeting
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:44 pm 

I was at the DMV in Norwich,Ct. Tue am to see about finally getting Ct tags on lil red and was told there is no saftey inspection here either,just a VIN check...

Post subject: Re: safety meeting
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:46 pm 

alllan71 wrote:
I was at the DMV in Norwich,Ct. Tue am to see about finally getting Ct tags on lil red and was told there is no saftey inspection here either,just a VIN check...

Guess you don't need those windshield wipers.

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:10 pm 

Wiperz? We don't need no ztinkin' wiperz!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:49 pm 

You don't need one for a classic car. They're exempt from everything, it seems.

I had a friend who recently retired as a CT DOT inspector. He said the state lost money at every inspection station except Bridgeport and Hartford for several years before he left. It became an unreasonable expense to the taxpayer. But police and troopers can still pull you and conduct safety and compliance inspections.

Deep tinted glass, colored lights on the front of the car, or any kind of ''police gimmick'' devices are still justification for confiscating your wheels here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:07 am 

Yea Frank same hear. No fancy dodads. We have that Vin inspection also, and not once have I done that with all the vehicles I bought out of state. Another gimmick to make money and cause people havak. How you suppose to get the car to them if it's not registered? Tow it that's how. Big Bolona. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:53 am 

On that '79 ZX I bought from Clive (Evil Z), I didn't know what to do or
what to expect, so I just went over to the DMV to find out, and to get
whatever forms were needed. I guess I was expecting a bottom-to-top,
stem-to-stern, crawl underneath, and take it all apart type of inspection.

Instead what I got was a smile, a registration form, and a handwritten
note on the bottom of the form saying that a VIN inspection (to make
sure it wasn't a stolen car being brought into the state, I guess) was all
that was required.

I was too frugal (read: cheap) to spend $7 for a temporary tag: as I
was going to get an antique registration immediately, I couldn't justify
the extra expense. I debated the "double dipping", but lost. So, since I
already had the car on the trailer, that is how it traveled to the DMV. I
think the ZX had begun to think the trailer was her new home, she was
on there so long!

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:21 pm 

I bought a motorcycle from NY and brought it straight to the DMV in the back of my pickup for the VIN check, thinking that this was a good idea and would save time and the 10 dollar temporary registration fee. it was a good idea until the state trooper (why do we need to use a highly trained and paid trooper to check VIN numbers, anyhow?)refused to climb into the back of my pickup in order to check the VIN number, citing safety concerns. Don't they have to pass an agility and fitness test to be a trooper? In order to protect this highly trained and paid trooper from the hazards of climbing into the back of a pickup truck, I had to untie and unload the bike (800 lbs, and I was alone) from the back of my truck, then reload it and tie it down again afterwards, a process that took about an hour and was clearly much more hazardous. After I was done, the deadweight officer once again tried to explain why this was necessary and I quite directly told him that there was nothing he could say that could possibly justify the utter stupidity I had just been subjected to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:59 pm 

Hi Mark:
Here in Florida a Licensed Auto Dealer, A Notary Public, Any Law Enforcement Officer and/or a DMV inspector can certify the VIN on any vehicle coming in from out of State.

We eliminated the State Safety Inspections based on highway safety data that showed no statistical difference between the time they were implemented and the time they were eliminated. We eliminated the State Emissions Testing for the same reason - no statistical difference in air quality.

I've lived in several different States over the years and I have to say that Florida has some of the most reasonable laws, as well as a good process for getting rid of them if they don't prove to have the desired effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:11 pm 

Carl,

I can't ever remember me saying this but I like Florida's thinking here! I feel the NJ inspections are a total waste of time and money. Has anyone here actually watched a car go through one of the state run inspection stations? Total joke. My DD (G35) actually failed inspection this year for a dead headlight. When I asked the inspector which one was out (the headlights were still on when I asked him) he pointed to the pass side. Confused, I said the lights are still on?! His response? "Oh well, come back tomorrow and have it reinspected."

I was not amused.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:13 pm 

Along the same vein......

The Great State of Connecticut has declared that the windscreen registration stickers are redundant and are no longer necessary. They only served as a quick visual confirmation that a vehicle's registration was current and valid. Great lengths and expense were taken to make them tamper proof.

The State now realiZes any cop can gather the same information by running your plate number thru their upgraded computer, so these stickers are unnecessary and obsolete.

As of 01Aug10, they will no longer be required, and are NOT being issued btwn now and then. After 01Aug, you can feel free to remove them from your windscreen and toss them.

The State figures we can save about $800,000.00 annually by dispensing with these stickers.

I assume (*assume*) that any issue ariZing btwn now and 01Aug involving these decals will be ignored or settled in favor of the motorist.

This will also result in a 'cleaner' windscreen on your Z, and a clear view of your dashboard VIN plate :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:42 am 

But on Lucky 13, I think I will leave the North Carolina sticker on
the windshield. It is a part of the persona and the history of the car.
Besides, its color harmonizes nicely with the paint color. :lol:

FWIW,...~Rick~