Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:50 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Wheel Repair in CT/RI?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:14 am 

I recently purchased a set of extra wheels for my 350Z, and they have two slight bends in the outer lip on two different wheels.

I'm hoping some of you can refer me to wheel repair experts who can help restore my wheels to the way they should be.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:42 am 

Hey Andrew,
Check out New England Wheel Repair in East windsor Ct
Someone on the other board used them and are very happy. I was referred to him by the Parts Manager @ Lia Nissan.
I have no personal experience with them other than I need some work done as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:48 am 

Mike_G wrote:
Hey Andrew,
Check out New England Wheel Repair in East windsor Ct
Someone on the other board used them and are very happy. I was referred to him by the Parts Manager @ Lia Nissan.
I have no personal experience with them other than I need some work done as well.

Thanks, mike. I hope someone responds who has some personal experience. I know it's not every day that you need a wheel repaired like this. I'm glad you will be able to benefit from this thread, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:11 pm 

Found these guys www.rimandwheelworks.com

I know some of the wheel repair shops out there don't have a website, and that doesn't mean their work isn't quality, but this place up outside of Boston did make me feel a bit more comfortable because they detail the correct straightening process step-by-step.

I feel like I might be a sucker for good advertisement, but I don't know much about wheel straightening, so I might take a chance with these guys. Just have to make the trip.

Last edited by blackfairlady on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:44 pm 

Well Andrew, you and I are alike in that regard, at least.

I put a lot of stock in a company's advertiZing. Not so much toward 'believing' them if they have a good advert, but rather more toward disregarding them if they present a sloppy one.

One of the biggest thorns in my saddle is finding a company which can't spell or doesn't know how to punctuate, and won't take the effort to find someone to proof-read their Ad before presenting it to the world. I simply won't use them.

To me, that simply says, "we're a bit under-educated, don't remember what we were taught in school, and don't have time to make sure we don't embarrass ourselves publicly. But we PROMISE we know what we're doing with your precious Z car, and our work will be precise, even though we can't spel to gud".

Uh huh. Suuuurrre it will.

At a recent Cruise In, I spoke with a hot rodder who described in great detail the steps required to widen the wheels on his car. He fell in love with one pattern which just wasn't offered in the width he wanted, so he had them widened. It sounded horribly demanding and the tolerances needed to be precise within less than 1/2 mm. I wish I could recall the name of the shop he used, in Colorado, which returned them to him looking factory-new and absolutely true.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:16 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Well Andrew, you and I are alike in that regard, at least.

I put a lot of stock in a company's advertiZing. Not so much toward 'believing' them if they have a good advert, but rather more toward disregarding them if they present a sloppy one.

One of the biggest thorns in my saddle is finding a company which can't spell or doesn't know how to punctuate, and won't take the effort to find someone to proof-read their Ad before presenting it to the world. I simply won't use them.

To me, that simply says, "we're a bit under-educated, don't remember what we were taught in school, and don't have time to make sure we don't embarrass ourselves publicly. But we PROMISE we know what we're doing with your precious Z car, and our work will be precise, even though we can't spel to gud".

Uh huh. Suuuurrre it will.

At a recent Cruise In, I spoke with a hot rodder who described in great detail the steps required to widen the wheels on his car. He fell in love with one pattern which just wasn't offered in the width he wanted, so he had them widened. It sounded horribly demanding and the tolerances needed to be precise within less than 1/2 mm. I wish I could recall the name of the shop he used, in Colorado, which returned them to him looking factory-new and absolutely true.

Frank

Thanks for the response, Frank. If you can think of the name, surely post it here! If anything, it will be of use for other readers in the future and their research. I, on the other hand - and I know you will understand - would like to bring them somewhere I can drive to, just so that I can inspect the work and speak to the technician face-to-face before and after the work is done. :D

These wheels aren't anything to write home about, but I just appreciate quality work. I never look forward to the task of searching for someone new who specializes in something I need, but it's always nice when I find a good store/shop with knowledgeable and friendly people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:10 pm 

When my Z was in the shop recently, I had asked them for a referral to have my wheels refinished and they pointed me to New England Wheel Repair as well. No first hand experience, but figured I would chime in FWIW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:29 am 

There is a place In Fall River Mass. if interested, Henry's Tire. I'm taking my rims up this week to have them trued for they are slightly out of round and warped.

Post subject: Wheel repair
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:59 am 

If you haven't already had your wheels repaired, there is a place in Branford, Ct. (203)481-3984 that repairs wheels. It is owned by the son of a friend of mine (for almost 50 years) who designed and built the equipment to rebuild wheels. They were the first , or one of the first shops to repair wheels; from antique racing wheels to $400 Mercedes / Porsche wheels.

Regards,
Irv Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:57 pm 

Thank you all very much for the replies. I do appreciate it.