Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:16 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:08 pm 

Hi Guys:
I know that most of your are big Bob Sharp fans... but hey - Bob was a BRE Team Member also. He drove the BRE Guest Car.... so he's counted in.

For the BRE FANS - -What an EVENT!! It was amazing to see so many original BRE Roadsters, 510's and Z's gathered together at one place. Even more amazing most of the original BRE Team members were present and having a ball.

The BRE Cars were on display directly across from the Hospitality Chalet in the Pit Area at Road Atlanta. The BRE Reunion Dinner was held Thursday night and it was a BALL!! Lots of war stories and truth telling between/among the BRE Team Members... very funny stuff ...

One thing that impressed me the most - was the fact that Peter Brock and his entire team spread out during the weekend, and individually visited as many people as they could in the Pits and Spectator Area's. Many people remarked that they were amazed when Peter or John Morton etc. walked up to their car, introduced themselves and started a discussion.

It was the same at the Hotel that hosted the Reunion - everyone on the BRE Team came down for breakfast and spread out at different tables to spend time with the fans.

Needless to say - I was in heaven. Of course into every life some rain must fall... When it was time to run the Parade Laps... I had a fouled plug and couldn't get over 3500 RPM... it was bad enough running on off-road tires with cars equipped with racing slicks... but had to pull over and let the 510's blow by me... On the other hand perhaps I was going slow enough that someone got a good picture of the Z on the track ;-)

Had all manor of problems getting there - the trailer brake controller went haywire and seven miles from the house I found that the trailer brakes were ON full time. Had to turn around and return home to fix that - in the end we took my son's truck as we were running out of time... Then the weight distributing trailer hitch broke a weld.. so we had to drive the entire 12 hours without that and without sway control - - not fun. Lucky for me a fellow IZCC member was there and his racing trailer {an 18 wheeler} was fully equipped with arc welding and machine capabilities.. they had it fixed in about 20 minutes.

Another thing that amazed me was the BRE Formula 5000 lotus was there!! I had always heard that it had been totalled... Turns out that it was saved and restored! This is known as "the Stainless Steel Carrot" from the book of the same name.

One of our IZCC, Z Car Original Owners, Lowell Marx was there - and I'm Posting a couple of his pictures - he got some great shots.. and I'm very thankful for that..

FWIW,
Carl B.

Attachments:
File comment: The BRE Formula 5000 Lotus/Ford
StainlessSteel.jpg
StainlessSteel.jpg [ 309.45 KiB | Viewed 2814 times ]
File comment: Jim Frederick in Pit Lane
Jimbo.jpg
Jimbo.jpg [ 277.44 KiB | Viewed 2814 times ]
File comment: The BRE Reunion Dinner at the track
BREDinner.jpg
BREDinner.jpg [ 247.97 KiB | Viewed 2814 times ]
File comment: John Morton's Championship 510
BRE51046.jpg
BRE51046.jpg [ 282.63 KiB | Viewed 2814 times ]
File comment: Bobby Allison Guest Driver for BRE
BobbyAllison85.jpg
BobbyAllison85.jpg [ 298.02 KiB | Viewed 2814 times ]
File comment: Two Remaining BRE Z's
300and3.jpg
300and3.jpg [ 290.51 KiB | Viewed 2814 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:10 am 

Great post Carl!
Thankz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:36 am 

Thanks for sharing Carl would have loved to have been there.... :)

Black 2007 350-Z
67 Camaro Custom
Orange Late 71 240-Z Sold and sitting in a Doctors Collection

Colin Foote Never Forgotten!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:22 am 

Great pics. :D About 2 weeks ago I found that rally Z doing image search on yahoo for a new screen saver at work, and wow, here it is again, cool. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:24 pm 

Wish we could have been there....sigh :cry:

Found a little sample from that weekend...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldMhPyfXsk

Cheers,
Colin

1970 Datsun 240z #11137

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:49 am 

I had been asking about the Lotus as I saw it in the background of some pictures. Thanks for the nice pic Carl.

Post subject: Lotus Ford
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:06 pm 

Hi Chris:
Thank goodness Lowell was there - he took most of the really good pictures.

The first time I saw a color picture of the BRE Lotus/Ford was on the cover of the book, "The Stainless Steel Carrot - an Auto Racing Odyssey" by Sylvia Wilkinson. That book is what originally started me looking for the BRE Baja Z. {or for that matter any BRE car that hadn't already been found}.

Until recently, the story was that the BRE Lotus/Ford had been wrecked and was long gone. Really great to see it was saved and restored. I talked to the owner and his son for quite some time - did you notice the wheels? He said that getting the original American LeMan's mags either fixed or gathered together was one of the hardest parts of the restoration... that was one thing he had in common with all us "Datsun" people ;-)

FWIW,
Carl