Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:06 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: crazy idea?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:14 pm 

i was thinking that we should have a club car. i think we should go out buy an old Z and everyone who is interested we all build it together in a weekend. kinda like overhaulin but in just 2 days. obviously find a Z that is in decent shape. make a big outing of it. take all the free parts we have and combine it into one car. does this sound cool? doable? i could even make a rendering of the car. bob sharp paint scheme with the ctzcc logo on it and have bob sharp sign it or something. everyone involved could work on a seperate area of the car. if organized right i think this would be awesome. and maybe we can have like a special unveiling of it at one of our outings. and everytime we see the car we can look back on the days we worked on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:47 pm 

#13 kind of is the club car.

I dunno, it seems like for the most part members of our club are more towards the restoring crowd when it comes to S30s. That's fine and all, but I too think it would be neat if we had a club 240z track machine as well.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:50 pm 

It sounds like a neat idea. I think the hardest part is going to be finding a decent Z to work on, all the Z's I see for sale, that are reasonably priced, are in pretty poor condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:56 pm 

yeah i hear you on #13. i also like the idea of this being a track car for the club. since it would be Bob Sharp inspired. a big CTZCC logo on each door maybe Bob Sharp racing logo on the hood or something. but i think all of us building it together would be awesome. we have the tools, we have the knowledge, we have places to build it, we have the parts we even have Bob Sharp himself. :) it wouldn't have to be a full out race car like Bob's but more stock looking. of course rims and spoilers etc etc just no crazy body modifications. Bob could even drive it for the unveiling! how awesome??!!! also i don't remember the name of the car but they are hand made and everyone in the plant signs each car made. so we could do the same after it is done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:23 pm 

well i was thinking everyone who was wanting in on this would put 10 bucks into a pot. we have over 300 members right? i mean a chance to be part of such an awesome project and only having to put 10 bucks isn't much to ask. if we get 200 people that's 2,000 dollars. that get's us a pretty decent Z.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:25 pm 

just a quick slapping on of pics in photoshop a better rendering will be done later with feedback coming from everyone.

Attachments:
clubcar.jpg
clubcar.jpg [ 461.31 KiB | Viewed 4894 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:28 pm 

maybe even a 280zx.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-2 ... 1c11c9f652

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:31 pm 

this one was just posted on craigslist.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/1701354486.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:32 pm 

or...

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/1696542934.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:02 pm 

We've had such inspirations in the past. Ross wanted to do this about two years ago. Questions aroZe which remain unanswered:

Who will keep the car?
Where will we work on it without disturbing someone's family or neighbors?
Who will decide what (and what NOT) to put on it?
Where will we get a trailer for it, and who will pay for that?
Who's name will it be registered under? (Not for street, but for track events)
Who will register and insure the trailer? (It has to be streeted around somehow)
Who will control the money donated toward building it?
Where will we get more money if we run out?
Who will get sued if someone gets hurt working on it or driving it?
what if only a few members end up doing all the work or paying for all the parts?
Who will pay for the Dyno Fees, Tech Inspections, entry fees, track testing, racing fuel, RACING RUBBER, spare parts (more brakes!), and odd racing gear necessary to actually enter and maintain a car in an event?
And who's gonna pay for a seasonal license for every member who wants to race the car each year? You have to be certified and qualified to run SCCA or else stay in the Vintage class, which allows far fewer modifications than we would probably want to make to the car.
When we eventually wreck it, break it or wear it out, how will we dispose of it? Who determines that?
If we sold it, who would get the money?
Etc, etc.

Ross wanted a dual-puropse car, capable of being geared for both track use and AutoCross events, and a trailer to haul it on. At that time we had just under 100 members in the Club, and we figured it would cost each of us about $300 for the first season, just to overcome the initial expenses and hear it run SOMEWHERE for a single event by the end of the year. Remember, the season is spring to fall, the same months everyone would want to work on it (and their own Zs).
If we worked on it over the winter to prepare it for the next season, we'd need someone's garage, engine hoists, jacks, engine stands, jackstands, and probably access to a machine shop, too.

We all see the same appeal in this. A bunch of Z guyz building a car together, which they all take turns racing around a track in.

But ask any of our members who presently race old Zs about the actual dollars and cents expense of running one of these cars, and you'll quickly arrive at the conclusion that racing is either a BUSINESS or a RICH MAN's ENTERTAINMENT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:18 pm 

a waiver would definitely be in order. i think we should start getting answers to these questions maybe hold a meeting? and we don't have to go all out the first season with it. do some autocross and maybe a few track days. i think we should definitely push this. with how fast this club is growing i think it is definitely doable. dedication will be a hey factor in this. i love my Z but would drop what i was doing to work on this project. we should atleast get the ball rolling. i would have no problem with Ross having the Z in his name since it was originally his idea. i think the first questions that should be answered is everything to do with first getting the car built. once she is done we can look into figuring out race fee's, insurance, dynoing, etc etc. let's get the car built!
i believe Rick mentioned a trailer? and out of all of our members someone has got to have a decent facility to build this car. personally i don't care who registers it as long as i get to be a part of it. i am more than willing to sign a waiver just like they do in CART. but i don't think the idea should die just because we have a lot of questions to answer. come on this would be awesome!!! let's figure out first and foremost how much we think it would cost to build a respectable autocross/track car. i think cost will be cut down a lot with donations of parts. first we need a car. and to get that we need money. so really the first bridge to cross is build location. volunteers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:24 pm 

I volunteer your garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:30 pm 

i would but my landlord "technically" doesn't allow any work to be done in the garage. i volunteer you Frank. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:32 pm 

Ross does have a lot of property.....:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:36 pm 

I offered my Z to the club and it went no where.
I have a trailer, can register the car, will be in my name, have a place to store, insure it, and work on it, have tools, have tons of tires, have tons of wheels, engines.... etc...etc... and have offered to the one's that works on it, supplies parts, has connections...the use of it to use it. I have other cars and other projects that I aspire to build...and I'm not the kind of person to withhold anything....most people know of me as a helper and I hope someone that can be trusted...

but those damn legal issues.....

so it still sits.... :cry:

Also Known As Clayton Pace