Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:59 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: I'm driving the Z
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:13 pm 

So I'm in Naugatuck with the Z. The rear end or driveshaft is making some metal noise and the steering wheel shakes but she actually drove. I'm so proud of myself. 6 months ago this car was sitting in a rock quarry in Haddam CT not running and tires flat. Now it's going through the gears beautifully and let me tell you guys a blast to drive despite the noises. I actually got some looks from some people driving a Mercedes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:28 pm 

when you have a chance, swing by my place again....and we can work out some bugs... then you will really have a grin on your face.

I'm waiting on Vinny to swing by my place to put a grin on my face..... :wink:

Also Known As Clayton Pace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:54 pm 

Hooray, Mike!!! Great! You're a mobile Z!

I salute all the dedicated hard labor you devoted to resurrecting your 280, and we both know that if you hadn't saved it, its future didn't look good.

This is one more early Z car still on the road because of one man's devotion and refusal to watch it die.

These carz seem to have souls, and know when they're in danger of being crushed. They watch for selective admirers and BITE THEM as they pass, infecting them with the Z Fever. That causes the overwhelmed new owner to put the world aside and sink tons of time (and no little bit of money) into saving the car.

These cars seem to think for themselves, and know how to survive.

Now that you've driven it, you'll really never be the same. You'll fix every squeak and rattle you can hear, until the car is completely healthy again.

At that point, you will no longer own the car ~ the car will own you.

Ask me how I know.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:11 pm 

Frank T wrote:

These carz seem to have souls

Tell me about it. Mine is apparently pissed off for some reason.

Great to hear you have your Z on the road again. I'll echo what everyone else has said about your dedication to get the car on the road, its great to see you stuck with it. Many project cars never get finished because their owners lack the snuff to stick with it till the end. Good to see you've got the right stuff. The Z is certainly one of those cars that deserves an owner who can devote their time as such.

Keep with it. Some day your car will be much more than what it is today.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:18 pm 

Thanks Frank. Yeah this Z is just so fun to drive. Addicting!!! I started just driving slow and feeling things out by the end of the day I was hitting 70 on the highway and 60 on rt67 which is a 40 oops. It begs to be driven. I think the timing might be slightly off it backfiring some and once in awhile I get a backfire through the intake. The crazy thing is I was mostly shifting at 3000rpm and even then it sounded like I was hauling. So once I felt more comfortable I started shifting at 4000rpm and the car just takes off. The fun I had today should be illegal. Well tomorrow I'll tweak more things and try to get the other headlight to work. Thanks everybody for motivating me!!! Without this club I wouldn't be where I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:35 pm 

So it must be the switch because I left with one headlight and somehow came back home with both headlights. Or maybe my car just fixes itself like Christine??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:40 pm 

Quote:
Great to hear you have your Z on the road again. I'll echo what everyone else has said about your dedication to get the car on the road, its great to see you stuck with it. Many project cars never get finished because their owners lack the snuff to stick with it till the end. Good to see you've got the right stuff. The Z is certainly one of those cars that deserves an owner who can devote their time as such.

thanks!!! Yeah it has been tough but well worth all the effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:05 pm 

By the way, what was that metal noise like? If it was a thump sound when shifting, its probably differential clunk. Also check the security of your driveshaft bolts, and the bolts that mate the half shafts to the wheel hubs. Once I discovered that I incorrectly set the stackup of the bolts/nuts/washers on one of my wheel hubs and all had come loose. I caught it just in time.

A fix for the diff clunk is the Ron Tyler mount, diagrams are on HybridZ. You can easily fabricate it yourself with a welder and some steel. It replaces the original strap that goes over the top of the differential's nose and keeps it from rising. Much better than the stock strap, and it won't crack your crossmember like a solid diff mount will.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:42 am 

theZman, congrats! I know that you are going to enjoy that car all the more because of the work you have done to it.

Frank, I will have to test your theories out first hand. And I will ask you how you know in person.

1972 Datsun 240z #88178

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:41 am 

Great story, keep up the good work Mike,

I can't wait to see it in person on Wednesday 4/14 for our first monthly meeting in Old Saybrook, CT.... (and those planning on coming...20 mph down Sunrise Ave, I am looking forward to kicking off the Zeazon)

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:59 am 

The noise sounds like as if a piece of metal was stuck on your tire. A clicking noise. And I can't wait for Wednesday!! It can't come fast enough. Hey is it possible I just have a sticking valve. I adjusted the valves but they still clack but sound better. Would sticking valves cause backfire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:22 pm 

Mike, I was getting work gloves at job lot and made a quick stop at the gas station . Then was going to swing in your road to see if you were out with the Z. I got my answer when you went by in the other direction. Sounded real good as you were going through the gears. I finally had a few minutes to take the Z out today . Too much work and not enough Z time lately. Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:31 pm 

Yeah Jim I spotted you no problem. Told my friend you were one of my Z buddies. I was excited cause I was hoping to see another Z. :) thanks maybe when you get some time we will cruise around Seymour together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:03 pm 

Zee what this Club does? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 am 

first ride to work with the Z was successful. sure makes getting around slow pokes on the highway alot easier. and the car still needs to be tuned. when i first saw the 160mph speedo i kinda laughed but i am not laughing anymore. i really think it could really go that fast. 70 is good for me right now until i get my suspension replaced and front end aligned. and the noise went away which is good or bad i don't know. i am hoping good. but those valves still click away. i hope somone at the meeting knows exactly what to do to quiet these things down. and Frank you are so right! driving this car is addicting and it's scares me cause she is nowhere near done so the addiction will only get worse. but no rehab for me. driving a Z is the best drug out there!!!!!

Attachments:
IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG [ 618.57 KiB | Viewed 5601 times ]