Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:23 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:54 pm 

I went to the FCSCC autocross rookie day in Stratford today with a friend of mine. I showed up late and didn't actually drive but I can definitely say that the event was really well organized and looked like a lot fun.

http://www.fcscc.com/

Also... there were all types of cars participating in the event;

- Corvair
- Spitfire
- Prius
- Mitsubishi Pickup Truck
- Subaru Outback
- Volkswagon Jetta
- Lotus Exige

And of course a decked out 350z....

I think that a few more Z's would have brightened the day even more!!!

1972 Datsun 240z #88178

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:10 pm 

Funny you should mention it. There is an open invitation from the CT CART guys to have CTZZC members attend their weekend autocrosses this spring/summer...of which there are quite a few.

These autocrosses, mostly held in Bristol, are open to the public to watch, and anyone can sign up and race. The only prerequisite are a Snell approved helmet, which can be found online for well under $100...a good investment for any sports car owner to make.

Autocrossing is a very safe event as one car at a time is allowed on the serpentine course and is one of the most exciting experiences you can have in your car, no kidding. I plan on covering these autocrosses and dates in more detail at our upcoming meetings as well as here so stay tuned...!!

1970 240Z - enhanced F54 L28 w/P90, Weber DCOEs, 4:11 R200, Nissan T5 5-speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:59 pm 

Anyone needing an updated helmet ~ I encourage you to contact CART member John Williamson ("Neon John") who owns Williamson Helmet Haberdashery in Trumbull Ct, 203-268-8086.

John sold me the exact style helmet I wanted (and couldn't find anywhere else) for CHEAP! He actually saved me about $80. I was happy. Still am. BraZen endorsement!

Call John before you buy elsewhere. He saved me time and money and my brain bucket is exactly what I needed (and what CART / SCCA require).

Frank T

Attachments:
IMGA0625.JPG
IMGA0625.JPG [ 63.15 KiB | Viewed 4717 times ]

Post subject: Autocross
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:00 pm 

I believe I went to my first FCSCC autocross about 47 years ago when I was a member of the late "Bonnet & Boot SCC". They were well run then, too.
Gramps (AKA Irv R)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:43 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Anyone needing an updated helmet ~ I encourage you to contact CART member John Williamson ("Neon John") who owns Williamson Helmet Haberdashery in Trumbull Ct, 203-268-8086.

John sold me the exact style helmet I wanted (and couldn't find anywhere else) for CHEAP! He actually saved me about $80. I was happy. Still am. BraZen endorsement!

Call John before you buy elsewhere. He saved me time and money and my brain bucket is exactly what I needed (and what CART / SCCA require).

Frank T

Please post that in the gripes/attaboys section as well, so we can find
it more easily when we look for it again. Thanks.................

All Z Best,..............................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:21 pm 

Yup. It's been in there since May 2009 Rick, under John Williamson's Helmet Haberdashery.

Post subject: Re: Autocross
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:57 am 

Irv83 wrote:
I believe I went to my first FCSCC autocross about 47 years ago when I was a member of the late "Bonnet & Boot SCC". They were well run then, too.
Gramps (AKA Irv R)

Gramps what car were you running back then?

Thanks,
Marc

P.S. That's about 10 years before I was born...

1972 Datsun 240z #88178

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:33 pm 

lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:15 am 

Datsun Z Garage wrote:
Funny you should mention it. There is an open invitation from the CT CART guys to have CTZZC members attend their weekend autocrosses this spring/summer...of which there are quite a few.

These autocrosses, mostly held in Bristol, are open to the public to watch, and anyone can sign up and race. The only prerequisite are a Snell approved helmet, which can be found online for well under $100...a good investment for any sports car owner to make.

Autocrossing is a very safe event as one car at a time is allowed on the serpentine course and is one of the most exciting experiences you can have in your car, no kidding. I plan on covering these autocrosses and dates in more detail at our upcoming meetings as well as here so stay tuned...!!

Thanks Bryan,

I have autocross back on the brain b/c I spent the day yesterday helping a friend install a 4 point bolt in roll cage in his 96 Miata auto-x toy. We went out for a ride afterwards, he drove... and that thing was on rails!!!

I am not completely against the idea of running my 72 240z in autocross. But I want to make sure that my car is set up correctly for it.

What would you recommend? I would assume braces/rollbars are a must right? Meaning do you agree that the stock setup should NOT be run? Also what is this I hear about side windows popping out of the early cars during auto-x...?

Best,
Marc

1972 Datsun 240z #88178

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:40 am 

Don't let the stories scare you away(!)

Autocrossing is very safe and can be done with a completely stock car...that's why they have different classes from Stock all the way to Modified. While you do have the hardcore guys who bring cars in on trailers, the majority of people are running stock cars or ones they have "breathed on" a little bit and simply want to see how they perform on a serpentine course.

I've seen pampered Mercedes go though the courses, modified Vipers, and everything in between...the sky's the limit. So no roll cage is needed unless you want to build up your car, anything you want to do is fine. Unlike the SCCA which has strict rules about mods, with autocrossing its "run what ya brung". The only prerequisite is a Snell rated helmet and having your car pass tech inspection beforehand (secure battery, no oil leaks, etc).

In autocrossing Z's since 1979 I've never heard the story of the side window popping out until this year. If yours is rusted badly and the whole body flexes I guess it's remotely possible but it's pretty unlikely.

TIPS

- remove everything loose in the car beforehand, take out the spare tire to save weight.
- pump up your tires to between 38-40 lbs to increase handling. Don't worry about wearing your tires out. The 1 minute run may scuff the sidewalls slightly, but it's nothing to worry about. If it worries you simply drive slower(!)

I'll be covering all this at the CTZCC meetings, I encourage anyone who is interested in autocrossing this year to come to them so we can coordinate a group to go to an autocross or three in Bristol.

1970 240Z - enhanced F54 L28 w/P90, Weber DCOEs, 4:11 R200, Nissan T5 5-speed

Last edited by Datsun Z Garage on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:44 am 

Good Ponts Bryan, I did a ride along in a Nismo 350Z during a CART event, felt like I was in a Jet Fighter. You can go at whatever speed you are comfortable, nobody points and laughs, it's all for fun and learning.

....with that side, see ya on Wednesday 4/14 for our first monthly meeting in Old Saybrook, CT.... (and those planning on coming...20 mph down Sunrise Ave, I am looking forward to kicking off the Zeazon)

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z