Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:38 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Z INSURANCE
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:12 pm 

FYI I just received a quote from Haggerty Ins (800-922-4050) foy my '71 Z , driven less than 5,000 miles per year.....weekends and car shows, $6,000 agreed replacement value,zero deductable, 100-300 K medical, etc., for $126.00 (one hundred and twenty-six dollars) PER YEAR !! If (when) the value is increased to $15,000, the premium , PER YEAR, will be $186.00 D!!!

Of course, I'm an old guy of 72, so "the above quotes are for the author only" ! LOL !

Post subject: insurance
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:12 pm 

i use j.c. taylor with 7500 agreed and full coverage for 89.00 yr. shop around.

Post subject: Z INSURANCE
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 pm 

Thanks ! What's their number ?
Irv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:23 pm 

J.C. Taylor Antique Auto Insurance
320 South 69th Street • Upper Darby, PA 19082
1-800-345-8290 • fax 610-853-0114 • www.jctaylor.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:50 am 

Was with J.C. Taylor for years, very good. Switched to Hagerty a few years ago, excellent.

IMO, Hagerty is the best out there for collector car insurance. Period.

www.hagerty.com

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject: Insurance
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:48 pm 

Thank you, gentlemen. But now I may not be able to aford to go to the meeting tomorrow because of all the drinks I owe you for picking your brains !
Irv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:43 am 

Years ago - so many years I can't remember exactly how many.. Anyway, at one point in the early to mid 80's, most providers of Classic Car Insurance did not provide coverage for our Datsun 240Z's. {they were too new!}.

By 1994 the Internet Z Car Club was on-line with the first Web Site devoted to the Z Car's. At which point I started the Z Car Original Owner's Register {ZCOOR}. For Datsun 240Z Owners who had purchased their 240Z's new and who had kept them ever since.

The ZCOOR members all had a concern about the insurance coverage on their 240Z's being listed as "ACV" Actual Cash Value on their regular automotive insurance policies. Many of us had heard the horror stories about accidents involving 240Z's and Insurance Claims Adjustors that offered $1,000.00 or $1,500.00 to total them out... You can't keep a car 20, 30, 40 years and accept the fact that it would be totaled for $1,500.00 in damages today...

I personally contacted three different "Classic Car Insurance Companies" to see what could be offered to the members of the ZCOOR. We just wanted an Agreed Value Policy with limits high enough to assure our Z's would be properly repaired, rather than totaled out for some low ball figure. Back then the range was $8K to $12K {today it is mostly in the $18K range}.

The Hagerty Agency was the only one that responded and was willing to work with me and the necessary underwriters to make it happen. Within a month, I was able to tell the rest of the ZCOOR members that the Hagerty would cover their 240Z's with an Agreed Value policy. By the end of the next month we had way over 100 of the ZCOOR cars covered. Within six months that coverage was extended to any 240Z which met the criteria of being a "Classic Car" and not a "daily driver".

I have had the unfortunate experience of having to file a claim with the Hagerty - First time in 30 odd years of driving 240Z's - I bent the hood, front fender, bumper, lower splash panels, turn signal etc. I took it to the body shop I wanted, had it repaired with all new OEM panels and completely repainted... The people at the Hagerty were simply wonderful to deal with. Matter of fact there was no "dealing", I simply sent them the bill and they paid it. Period.

In addition to their willingness to work the Z Car Owners - I also like the support/participation that the Hagerty provides to the Collector Car/Classic Car hobby. They are truly "Car People".. and I highly recommend them.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:14 am 

What an outstanding endorsement! Thank you Carl, for spearheading the protection of all our carz! Your service to the Z community is simply noteworthy, and it's an honor to have you among us.

I'm worried about the mileage restrictions on these policies. I like to drive my car, and not worry about over-driving my policy limits. A single cross-country trip would probably crush any of these 'classic' clauses, huh? Wonder if anyone will offer Actual Cash Value coverage for daily-driver Zs in the near future?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:59 am 

Frank, Hagerty does not put a mileage restriction on your classic car. In a nutshell, they basically do not want it to be a daily driver. You have to show that you have another daily driver vehicle and that your Z will be used occasionally for club events, pleasure rides, etc. Being a card-carrying member of a car club will verify that. That's it!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:58 pm 

Automobile Insurance is regulated in the States, and each State can be slightly different. There are usually two distinct types of insurance carriers licensed to sell insurance in the States - Full Line and Speciality.

Full Line carriers supply insurance for your Auto, Home, Business and Life. Their premiums are based on the risk taken on, and spread among very large numbers of people. They have insurance products that cover about 95% of everyone's needs.

There are however, about 5% of the people with special needs, something outside the norm. Something like a 40 year old Classic Car. That is where the Speciality Insurance Carriers come in. They too are regulated by the State and one condition of their operation is that they not provide the same insurance that is available from any Full Line Carrier.

The Full Line Carriers all sell automobile insurance for the cars we drive daily, to/from work and which we depend upon for "transportation" needs. The Speciality Carriers then sell insurance for the cars that we DO NOT DRIVE DAILY, NOR DO WE DEPEND UPON THEM FOR TRANSPORTATION NEEDS.

We drive Classic Cars FOR PLEASURE.... and that is the restriction that most Classic Car Insurance Carriers actually have written in the Insurance Policy that they send you.

So as John correctly notes - there is NO MILEAGE LIMIT on a Hagerty Policy. If you want to drive it across or around America - go do it.

Hagerty does say that "on average" Classic Cars that are driven for pleasure, are driven less than 3000 miles per year. That exposure level is what they base their risk calculations on. They know that if you exceed that mileage in one year, you will be far below it when averaged over a five year period..

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Thank you Carl, for spearheading the protection of all our carz!

Hi Frank:
Thanks for your kind words.

Gee, as I re-read what I wrote - it does sound like I am tooting my own horn!! I'm always glad to do that of course :lol: - - but That was not the intent. :oops:

I was attempting to shed light on Hagerty's willingness to work with an enthusiast group, to extend coverage to the cars we love, that had not previously been "included". Their willingness to work with us, was one quality that sold me on the Hagerty and one reason I've stuck with them.

While I'm hyping the Hagerty - I will say that paying the little bit extra for the Hagerty Plus membership is well worth the dollars. In addition to Roadside Assistance - the Hagerty Magazine is always a pleasure to receive.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Attachments:
HagertyMagSm.jpg
HagertyMagSm.jpg [ 96.99 KiB | Viewed 5791 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:03 am 

Obviously each member is not only free, but also encouraged if he/she
wishes, to do his/her own shopping for insurance, just as he/she did
when shopping or searching for the car itself.

But I would suggest that if there are resources available to the prospect-
ive buyer, then the buyer might consider availing him/herself of the
same. In other words, if someone else has done the legwork, or if there
is someone else who has developed a degree of expertise in a particular
field, such as Classic Car Insurance or any other field, then why not take
advantage of it and draw upon it? Is that not why there are such as
Consumers Report magazines? Is that not one of the items of value a
you or I "bought" when taking out Z Club membership?

I don't wish for a moment to portray myself as an "expert;" but rather as
a guy who, realizing he WASN'T an expert, would have considered himself
worse than stupid not to get help from someone who was at least more
knowledgeable or experienced than himself.

I contacted several Classic Car insurance providers and listened to their
spiels and read their literature. I made a tentative judgment, then
assessed the comments I had heard or read from several of our
members such as Carl Beck, John Taddonio, Dave Cerutti, and others
who had "beenthere, done that, and got the T-shirt." Each of their
assessments, as well as the decisions they had ultimately made, seemed
to harmonize with my own.

Namely, that Hagerty was the most professional, least restrictive, most
flexible, most-classic car oriented, most responsive, and seemingly most
interested in having my business, while offering virtually identical rates.
Or even more favorable rates.

Now I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but occasionally some-
thing lights up the light bulb above my head. :idea: It occurred to me
that if our own member, Jim Frederick, a successful insurance profes-
sional with many of the same type and age of car that I proposed to in-
sure, had settled upon Hagerty as being the best provider, then perhaps
I should make the same educated decision as he had.

I did.

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:16 pm 

Congrats on a great choice, and may you NEVER need it!

here is my story from another thread QUOTE:

"Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:10 am Post subject:

I have to put in my 2 cents. I have had my Z insured with Hagerty for about 8 years now. I have slowly increased my agreed value as the car improved over the years. This past July, just after my car became car of the month, I was rear ended at a red light. I had my Z covered for 8000. Well the first quote came in at $8400. Of course, I was not liable for any of the incurred repair costs, so I picked the most exclusive auto restoration shop I could find in the area. Hagerty called me and said that they would work with me to get the car fixed right but the price for repairs must get below about $6000 for them to not have to total it and hand me the $8000. I lost several nights of sleep. Hagerty, got on the horn with the restoration shop I was using and went back and forth for a couple of sleepless days. They kept me in the loop as they haggled for me. They finally came to an agreement and my car was fixed right, at the shop I chose, and did not end up getting totalled. Mind you, I was only paying about $200/year for this amazing service. When the car was repaired, I immediately called Hagerty, thanked them, and raised my agreed value to $13000. Bottom line is if your car is worth about $10,000 on the open market. Set your agreed value for about 25% more to cover the gray area of "to total, or not to total" the car after an incident.

I HIGHLY reccommend Hagerty based on my first hand experience.

They also offer multi car discounts. I recently added my 1972 240Z for basic comprehensive coverage ($5000 agreed) as the car is being restored. The additional car added $16 to my premium BUT I got a $16 multi car discount. FREE Comprehensive for a second car! I was floored.

There are some restrictions but none that are unreasonable at all. Check them out for sure."

Post subject: Hagerty Ins.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:20 pm 

Gentlemen,

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT !

Irv Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 pm 

257 for the year for a young man like me I'll take it.