Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:17 pm 

Hey guys/girls - I've always been in love with the first gen ('84/'85) 300zx's, and I was wondering what the experience is like to drive a turbo version. I've had the privelage of driving a low-mileage non-turbo '84 once, and it was fairly peppy for a car of that era. I would imagine that a turbocharged version would be more exhilarating, given that it's got about 35 more h.p. than the N/A car. Now, my only other comparision to driving something comparable is driving my family's 1988 Chrysler Conquest. For some reason while I was growing up, my father never got into the Z cars, but we had a Conquest AND a Starion (its Mitsubishi Counterpart).. and they were a blast to drive... especially for a teenage kid with a new driver's license! In fact, we still own a Conquest with 24k original miles in showroom condition, if anyone even knows what they are.

Anyhow, those cars have 4 cylinder turbocharged engines that put out about 185 hp, and are rear wheel drive as well. I would imagine that they are quite similar to drive, but never having driven a turbocharged Z31 I really just don't know. In the future I think I'd like to get one (early turbo 300zx), so I'm wondering what it's like to drive one. IF there's anyone out there who has any insight or firsthand comparision of the two cars that I've described I'd love to hear it! I really like the Conquest, but I think in the future I may go a different route for a weekend mid-80s japanese sports car. Thanks for reading this rambling post :) Can't wait to meet some of you at the montly meetings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:59 pm 

Have you considered the neon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:34 am 

:shock: STOP IT, AL!!! :lol:

I've never driven a turbo model Z31 or the Conquest, but I read a bit about them both just now.

The Z31 300ZX weighed btwn 2888lbs - 3027lbs. The USA turbo engine was listed at 205hp. Australian and European engines were rated much higher. In racing form, these same engines were capable of over 1,000hp.

The Z32 300ZX (made from 1989-2000) weighed much more; btwn 3300 - 3550lbs. The USA engine was tuned up to 250hp, but capable of far more.

The Conquest (1987-89) and Starion (83-89) weighed 2800lbs for the 'narrow body' and 3000lbs for the 'wide body'. They had only 2.0L or 2.6L SOHC engines, but they made optional 3-valve heads and different turbos and throttle bodies (TBs) for added performance. And with a drag coefficient of only 0.35, the turbo models could out-perform the 300ZX Z31.

The Conquest and Starion have impressive lists of racing and endurance victories, including an outright win at the Daytona 500.

The Z31 and Z32 also have a long list of racing victories in their class, usually at the hands of Paul Newman, racing under our CTZCC Executive Advisor Bob Sharp. The Z cars appear to have offered far more aftermarket upgrade parts than the Conquest or Stariron did, including a NISMO driveshaft which improved the car's performance in every category. Go figure.

AND, the Z32 has the distinctions of having been called, "One of the greatest cars of all times", "One of the 20 greatest cars of the past 20 years", and "One of the most beautiful cars in history". Someone once said "the car still looks great 10 years after it went away". Nobody said that about the Chrysler or Mitsubishi.

So the straight answer to your direct question is that the hot stock Conquest or Starion out-performed the hot stock Z31 300ZX (both in turbo form), but the ZX can be made a LOT hotter than the Con/Star cars, for a lot less money.

The determining factors in such comparisons are ALWAYS horsepower-to-weight, plus aerodynamics.

Frank

Last edited by Frank T on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:55 am 

Hey Frank - thanks for the insightful response. I appreciate your detailed feedback. Of course, your last comment regarding horsepower to weight AND aerodynamics makes me absolutely think that a turbocharged Z31 (from 1984 - 200HP) would hands-down win any contest with a Conquest. According to your info, they both weigh almost exactly the same (using the Widebody Conquest for comparison's sake... which is what we own). Also, the 300zx was a V6 that pushed out 200hp, while the Conquest only 185. Given those statistics, I would IMAGINE that the ZX has the edge. Again, I've never driven one, so I really don't know. In all honesty they probably both have a similar "fun factor", given that they are both similar mid-80's pioneers of the affordable Japanese sports car market.

Oh, and I also think the overall wedge-shape of the Z31 would give it a slight advantage over the more boxy, bulky exterior of the Conquest.

Thanks for your input guys-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:32 am 

WOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Frank, you are a veritable fountainhead of information, a walking ency-
clopedia on things automotive. Where can we buy a copy of you?-- I'm
sure we could find space for you on our bookshelves! :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Rick~

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:21 am 

I have a 89' turbo and loved it while it ran. The Z has more style, more history, and easy to modify for more hp. Plus driving around on a nice day with the T-tops off will get you noticed. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:06 am 

Turbo Z > Starion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:37 pm 

I have driven both, and no comparison. The Starion/Conquest was neat, but I can live without it. There are only 3 Japanese car makers in my book, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota. Mitsubishi, and Mazda are like Neons in japan. By the way, Mits is with Chrysler, Mazda is with Ford, Toyota did help GM out, Honda helped Isuzu, Nissan all by themselves. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:15 pm 

Nissan + Renault

Subaru + Saab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:02 pm 

paul.mackin wrote:
There are only 3 Japanese car makers in my book, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota.

Some one needs to expand their library...
:lol:

??? Subarus are fantastic!

paul.mackin wrote:
Mazda are like Neons in japan.

Any generation Miata? Any RX-7? Any of the new Mazda 3, 6 or Mazdaspeeds. All awesome cars.

Sorry, had a neon, not the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:45 am 

Who made "The Brat"? Isuzu? Subaru? Couldn't keep valves in the thing and passengers kept falling out.

Awesome vehicle.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:48 pm 

paul.mackin wrote:
I have driven both, and no comparison. The Starion/Conquest was neat, but I can live without it. There are only 3 Japanese car makers in my book, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota. Mitsubishi, and Mazda are like Neons in japan. By the way, Mits is with Chrysler, Mazda is with Ford, Toyota did help GM out, Honda helped Isuzu, Nissan all by themselves. :D
Paul, Renault helped save Nissan and turned it around, I think without Carlos Ghosn the Z would not have been reborn in the 350Z.......

Attachments:
100_0924.jpg
100_0924.jpg [ 21.98 KiB | Viewed 7661 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:02 pm 

Hey Frank, Subaru made the brat, I had one in 85, the thing was a blast. had the seats in the back with the grip handles to hold onto. the brat was actually a blast to drive, never really had a valve problems with it. I did snap the cable for the throttle control going down the merrit and I gotta tell you it was a real bummer. yup it kept accelerating I turned five shades of Red :oops: put it in neutral and got it to the grass. no fixing it on the road, tow truck time..LOL :lol: >>> Then got rid of it shortly after..

Black 2007 350-Z
67 Camaro Custom
Orange Late 71 240-Z Sold and sitting in a Doctors Collection

Colin Foote Never Forgotten!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:24 am 

I know about the Renault deal, but do you see there parts in Nissan's :?: (if so, enlighten me) Ok, Subaru isn't that bad, NOW, but would you buy an older one, like we buy old Datsuns ? I'm actually looking for a Subaru as an extra car to train our Daughter to drive. I'd prefer an SVX, but looks like a Impreza or legacy might have to do, now Wagons. :x The RX-7 wasn't bad, if you didn't mind working on it all the time, (older ones) which wasn't the case with the Z, and is the competitor in my book. (It's like saying Corvette to a Porsche owner.) Miata, not bad if your a midget. I'd rather have a Z with T-tops. yea Frank, the Subaru Brat was neat with the seats in the back and gives me Ideas to put some Z seats in the back of Tiny Tim. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:28 pm 

Hey Paul all Kidding aside a subaru is a great product, very reliable specially the legacy and the impreza as well as the outback. I wouldn't hesitate in putting my son or daughter in any. the Japanese have always built awsome cars.
Good luck..

Black 2007 350-Z
67 Camaro Custom
Orange Late 71 240-Z Sold and sitting in a Doctors Collection

Colin Foote Never Forgotten!!